Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stacyrect View Post
    Visa's are supposed to have security checks done. This is just another indication of the incompetence of our government and why we should not take any refugees as well as banning entry to anyone from the middle east into our country. People shouldn't have to die because we are afraid of offending people from the other side of the world.
    Isn't there some line about surrendering essential liberty to purchase temporary security?
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Isn't there some line about surrendering essential liberty to purchase temporary security?
    Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Something like that

So the "terrorist" attack we had happened even without sheltering refugees fleeing from the mess we made. yet we need to block the refugees to prevent the "terrorism".
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Not sure why you think the ben franklin quote is applicable, nor do I really care.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stacyrect View Post
    Not sure why you think the ben franklin quote is applicable, nor do I really care.
    Sacrificing the principle of religious liberty and equal treatment under the law to protect yourself against what isn't really that severe of a threat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain N View Post
    Didn't you mention before that your family took in some refugees in the past? There's some pretty extensive vetting done that isn't being covered by this Fox article, right?
    Yeah, refugees go through waaaay more screening than normal visa applicants. Even the weakest whiff of extremist ties can get you denied. Distant family member you've never met get picked up on suspicion of terrorism at some point? Denied.

You're at less risk among approved refugees than you are doing your christmas shopping among strangers.