Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Horde Anyone playing from the Military?

Anyone here playing WoW / other games while still in the Military? Have you quit because of the Military? First time poster, long time lurker on this site. Joined the Corps almost 3 years ago to date (yeah, I know, f'nboot). I find that gaming still keeps me active and is a good stress reliever from the job. Although I don't get to game as often as I want too, I still try to play as much as possible. If I'm not grinding out alts to max level, I'm mount-farming or getting some x-mog. Working on the Grumpus mount as of right now. What's your go-to-stress-reliever? Not in the Military, are you thinking about joining?

Why are you in military?

I'm not in the military anymore, but i used to be. I found i didn't really have time to play wow back then, but then hearthstone had just released, so it was a great alternative for me. could play a few games once in a while, without having to commit to a raid team.

Half being I didn't want to be up to my eyes in student-loan debt paying it off for the rest of my life in a job I may not be able to get. The other half being I didn't want to live with my parents not knowing what to do with my life. My father joined, or at least tried to, so I guess I not only did it because I did not know what lay before me but also for my Dad. I thought of it as a 4-5 year "procrastination period" in which I would be able to give myself more time to think about what I wanted to do in College/for the rest of my life.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Garkanh View Post
    I'm not in the military anymore, but i used to be. I found i didn't really have time to play wow back then, but then hearthstone had just released, so it was a great alternative for me. could play a few games once in a while, without having to commit to a raid team.
    Did you like it? What branch were you? I find it king of hard to keep up with end game content unless it's the weekend, so I primarily stick with 2's with my friend. That or setting goals like getting rare mounts or titles.

I am currently undergoing basic training in the Danish army so my gametime has been very limited. I usually only have free time in the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Acelius View Post
    I am currently undergoing basic training in the Danish army so my gametime has been very limited. I usually only have free time in the weekend.
    Is it something you always wanted to do? How long do you plan on staying in?

I was in the military during Naxx & though TBC.
    I only had time to play every third weekend, so I mostly focused on PvP (I remember straggling to maintain my PvP rank during vanilla, but it decayed over the weeks faster than I could compensate) and lower tier raiding (Kara, Gruul's, ZA & Maggy). I didn't, however, renew my subscription during the last year of TBC because it didn't make sense financially (paying for a month while only being able to play 2 to 4 days).

Quote Originally Posted by Palemaster View Post
    I was in the military during Naxx & though TBC.
    I only had time to play every third weekend, so I mostly focused on PvP (I remember straggling to maintain my PvP rank during vanilla, but it decayed over the weeks faster than I could compensate) and lower tier raiding (Kara, Gruul's, ZA & Maggy). I didn't, however, renew my subscription during the last year of TBC because it didn't make sense financially (paying for a month while only being able to play 2 to 4 days).
    The struggle is real, haha. The inner nerd in me wants to stay up all night to play this as much as possible. But the job me will hate myself for staying up no matter how fun it is. A constant struggle between wanting to get lost time in and sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by Congratulate View Post
    Is it something you always wanted to do? How long do you plan on staying in?
    Yep, it was always a dream of mine to try it out. I am currently scheduled for another 7 months, 4 of which will be guard duty at the royal palaces. I haven't decided if it is a career I want to pursue though.

Quote Originally Posted by Acelius View Post
    Yep, it was always a dream of mine to try it out. I am currently scheduled for another 7 months, 4 of which will be guard duty at the royal palaces. I haven't decided if it is a career I want to pursue though.
    That sounds pretty awesome. Not to be disrespectful or unintelligible, but guard duty. Is that something comparible to say, our MSG? Guarding embassys in foreign lands? Or like the British military with the big furry hats? Forgive my ignorance, I do not know much about the Danish military.

That sounds pretty awesome. Not to be disrespectful or unintelligible, but guard duty. Is that something comparible to say, our MSG? Guarding embassys in foreign lands? Or like the British military with the big furry hats? Forgive my ignorance, I do not know much about the Danish military.
    In my case it's like the British grenadier guard. We wear the same big furry hats.

Man, I don't think I would have the bearing to have people fucking with me all the time like that, lol.

I'm in the military, airwing in marine corps. I still have several hours a day of free time to play and still raid 3x/week. It's just my mos field though, we have a lot of downtime.

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpet View Post
    I'm in the military, airwing in marine corps. I still have several hours a day of free time to play and still raid 3x/week. It's just my mos field though, we have a lot of downtime.
    I'm a winger as well. 6154, yourself? What platform? What server?

I'm a winger as well. 6154, yourself? What platform? What server?
    5951, mal'ganis/kirin tor

5951, mal'ganis/kirin tor
    Do you like it? Re-enlisting?

U.S. Coast Guard here. My current billet is a small boat station, so I work a 2 on, 2 off, sliding weekends schedule. A lot like a firefighter would work here in the U.S. So I still get quite a bit of time to play - in fact, I can even play during the evenings at the station if I'm not doing anything else. If/when I get stationed on a cutter (ship), my playtime will be reduced drastically.

Do you like it? Re-enlisting?
    It's really not that bad, it can be enjoyable. I'm probably not reenlisting because I plan on getting married and starting a family and I'd prefer to do that outside of the military.

It's really not that bad, it can be enjoyable. I'm probably not reenlisting because I plan on getting married and starting a family and I'd prefer to do that outside of the military.
    I feel the same way. I want to start a family with my girl but the Military cuts in between too often.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    My husband is in the Military and he plays WoW. He finds it to be a good stress reliever when he gets off work. He joined the Army in 2002 and started playing WoW in 2006 - has been playing since then.

He's a CH-47 Mechanic, was voluntold to be a recruiter (4 years) and is now back to his old job.
    That's pretty cool. I'm on the Huey and Cobra platform right now. Its pretty unique to have a wife who plays WoW, those are my aspirations lol.