Curved screen advice

So, nearby store has a sale on Samsung 27" S27E500C Curved *Link just to show it, now where im actually purchasing it*

And since im complete shit when it comes to monitors im looking for advice on this one, Currently having a benq GL2450 bbut want to try out curved 16:9.
    Is this a monitor i can play MMO and ARPG games on + reg browsing etc, i by no means play ANY FPS games.
    "what scares me is 27" at 60hz (and wider than usual on top of that)"

Granted i can get it cheap (150 euros), is it a better option than my current or is it just another hole in my wallet?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulfric Trumpcloak View Post
    People on this site hate everything. Keep that in mind.

10+ Year Old Account
    1920x1080 doesn't look good at 27" if you're sitting close to it... And things will be bigger than usual since the PPI is lower than the "standard".

It's a VA panel so you can expect good contrast and a overall better picture quality than your current monitor, but sit far from it.

Define close, Im sitting 65-75CM away.

And things will be bigger than usual since the PPI is lower than the "standard".
    pretend im 8 and only like cats to explain this

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunnydee View Post

There are less pixels per inch spread across a bigger screen surface, meaning that the resolution will appear to be lower.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

10+ Year Old Account

Pretty much what he said, OP. You have the same amount of pixels as a standard 24" monitor but yours is bigger. Which means that your pixels are bigger and you'll see them more easily if you sit at the same distance.

Using this handy calculator: https://stari.co/tv-monitor-viewing-distance-calculator
    Which is based on THX, it comes up with those numbers for you:

Minimum distance: 0.43 m (1.4 ft)

Maximum distance: 1.15 m (3.8 ft)

Visual Acuity distance: 1.05 m (3.4 ft)

This is more related to watching movies but I guess it's good enough to use in this case too. 1.05 meters would be the perfect spot, where things wouldn't look bigger than they should for you.

Using 2560x1440 instead:

Minimum distance: 0.43 m (1.4 ft)

Maximum distance: 1.15 m (3.8 ft)

Visual Acuity distance: 0.79 m (2.6 ft)

Which almost matches your distance, and the result makes sense since 1440p at 27" is way closer to the "standard PPI" than 1080p. And therefore things have normal sizes while you have more screen real state.

I thiiiink i get it, Il get a better image, at the correct distance, otherwise it can get pixly?
    Would a 25" ultrawide do better served for me? Seeing as the bigger screen on 1920x1080 the further away you have to sit due to PPI, but how does it work when its 2560x1080? getting PPI: 111.14 PPI on that website but doesnt add up since larger than my current 24

10+ Year Old Account
    I thiiiink i get it, Il get a better image, at the correct distance, otherwise it can get pixly?
    Would a 25" ultrawide do better served for me? Seeing as the bigger screen on 1920x1080 the further away you have to sit due to PPI, but how does it work when its 2560x1080? getting PPI: 111.14 PPI on that website but doesnt add up since larger than my current 24
    21:9 25" 2560x1080 has the ~same PPI as 16:9 20" 1920x1080, it's "normal" (slightly denser actually, but pretty much normal).

And your current 24" is bigger in size than 21:9 25".

24" 16:9 = 20.92" * 11.77" = 246.12"²

25" 21:9 = 23.03" * 9.72" = 223.83"²

We measure the diagonal, it's only comparable at the same aspect ratio. You can make a very big diagonal at a not so big display if it's super wide but not so high.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    As an owner of a curved screen and someone who has experience with monitors ranging in sizes...

A curve is really only necessary at and above 34". 27" especially and below is just too small. A 1080p 27" curved screams waste of money to me. The biggest monitor I'd be willing to go 1080p for computing would be a 23.6", any bigger no thanks. 27" should be 2560x1440.

Honestly, if you're on a tight budget, get a nicer 23.6" IPS/VA/PLS 1080p monitor.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water