One of the best, if not the best, French fantasy graphic novel getting a re-release.

...in the English language.

French, or Franch-Belgian comics, (bande dessinées) are usually not very well known in the USA, maybe because their production schedule and financial model are very odd for Americans and in fact much more expensive than either manga or comics (to summarize, 48 page full color, usually with high quality paper and hardcover, books, with nowadays almost inexistant pre-publishing. Books with one release per year are exceptionnal nowadays, even ''speedy'' series can be released in two years interval)

While classic comics like Tintin are decently know, genre comics are much less known worldwide (despite some cultural impacts. The Fifth Element borrowed heavily from such a comic, Valerian for instance). I think Marvel did the commendable job of releasing a few years ago the very good SF serie Universal War One, the sci-fantasy Star Warsy (tongue-in-cheek) Ythaq and the high fantasy Dragon Knights, but that's all.

So, the comic in question is...

http://www.amazon.ca/QUEST-TIME-BIRD...+the+time+bird

The 1975 Quest for the Time Bird, a four tome pure fantasy (and high fantasy at it) graphic novel, widely considered as one of the best in French languague, if not the best (the artist, Loiseul, is widely known for a mature-in a good way-version of Peter Pan with a somewhat....different... Tinker Belll...)

http://www.bdnet.com/img/couvpage/62...0003622_pg.jpg

That kind of art should be a dead giveaway for it, but let's say that the main female character, Pélisse, is not afraid to catch a cold, which is not exactly a surprise in fantasy in anyway. (That's not an issue for most people, of course, but it's....kinda obvious in that book) Short of that, the serie is infamous for a huge plot twist, a very clever one, and a brutal deconstruction of fantasy tropes.

Looks good, I will definitely check it out. Far too few mainland European comic books get English translations these days. Its a real shame considering like-for-like, their Craft in the medium can be far more refined than their contemporaries in the Manga and American dominated international markets.

Deleted
    Now will they censure it? In the englich version of Aldebaran (It is about a colony/research team in the future) is censured, no nipples allowed, so then a female is bleeding out (she has been bitten by a big prediator) they have a scene where they put first aid on her and have removed some of here clothes to dress the wounds, hence she is topples in the orginal, but now she have a bra, but you see all the blood, horibel wounds and her face in pain.... I do not know if I shall laugh or cry how can you get some nippels to be more "harmful" then a female who is that wounded...

I shall point out that the comic (multiple volumes) is most about exploring and see or experience very strange thing and try to survive then somthing go wrong...not a orgy in gore

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by sarahtasher View Post
    The Fifth Element borrowed heavily from such a comic, Valerian for instance).
    Star Wars did also borrow heavily from Valerian (or did get insperied from)

http://nothingbutcomics.net/2015/12/14/valerian/
    More exampel if you are intrested.
    Last edited by mmoc957ac7b970; 2015-12-23 at 07:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by a77 View Post
    Now will they censure it? In the englich version of Aldebaran (It is about a colony/research team in the future) is censured, no nipples allowed, so then a female is bleeding out (she has been bitten by a big prediator) they have a scene where they put first aid on her and have removed some of here clothes to dress the wounds, hence she is topples in the orginal, but now she have a bra, but you see all the blood, horibel wounds and her face in pain.... I do not know if I shall laugh or cry how can you get some nippels to be more "harmful" then a female who is that wounded...

I shall point out that the comic (multiple volumes) is most about exploring and see or experience very strange thing and try to survive then somthing go wrong...not a orgy in gore

- - - Updated - - -

Star Wars did also borrow heavily from Valerian (or did get insperied from)

http://nothingbutcomics.net/2015/12/14/valerian/
    More exampel if you are intrested.
    The Valerian bit is more discutable, as some of the example (such as Laureline in a slave outfit) are much more based on the same material than inspired from each other.

And yes, if nipples are a no-no, that book will be censured....