15+ Year Old Account

Did the US deliberately sabotage the Nuclear deal with the new visa rules?

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/1...l-visas-217101

After the Paris attacks the US congress (I believe) passed a bill that excludes citizens of 38 countries who either have dual nationality or have traveled to a certain couple of countries in the past 5 years (chief among them Iran) from the Visa waiver program.

to put it simple : They will need a visa to enter the US if they have Iranian nationality or have visited Iran in the last 5 years.

Now this all may sound fine a dandy, It's there to protect the US from terrorists. but let's take a closer look at the problems this is going to cause.

1) Tourists will now think twice before entering Iran. so this new law is indirectly screwing over the Iranian plans of reviving the tourist industry after the sanctions. how many people from wealthy countries would want to visit Iran when they know it's going to ruin their non-visa requirement privilage to visit the US?

2) It's screwing over all Iranians over the world, even those who are already citizens of Europe. which is why Europe is also pissed off about this new law. There are alot of Iranian-Europeans in Europe, some of them have no ties to that country and can't even speak the language and they will be excluded from the visa-free program because of their parent's nationality.

3) It's going to seriously hurt Iran's chance of going back to business. This new program is going to target anyone who travels to Iran, be it for tourism, personal, or business purposes. It's going to even target european businessmen who travel to Iran for trade and business goals. So in that regard the US is indirectly imposing another Sanction of Iran even though the JCPOA “clearly states that the United States committed to refrain from policies that are ‘specifically intended to directly and adversely affect the normalization of trade and economic relations with Iran.’”

Hardliners in Iran are already using this new law to break the deal, and the US congress is not letting this one go. it seems that both hardliners have found the perfect thing to fuck the JCPOA over. so did the Obama administration deliberately shot themselves in the foot or did they rush to pass something to indicate they are serious about national security?

funny enough, neither Pakistan or Saudi Arabia are in this bill. how many of these "dangerous" terrorists were of Iranian nationality again? It's funny that countries like Saudi Arabia and Pakistan (citizens of which were among the 9/11 attacks and the recent San Bernardino shooting) are not even among the countries blacklisted by this law.
    Last edited by Gamevizier; 2015-12-23 at 06:07 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't really care.

If they ever get a nuke and nuke Israel, they themselves will get nuked in turn.

I doubt the intent was to sabotage the deal. I don't know if you have heard, but for 36 years we have had a rather antagonistic relationship with Iran.

Deleted
    The deal won't fail over visa restrictions.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Yeah don't really care either. I think you are looking too much into it and are borderline conspiracy theory which is against the TOS for the site.

Stop cuddling them.

If Russian nationalist shot up a theater you would be screaming for war. Isis does it and your all " Well not all Muslims!" its getting tiring at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by primalmatter View Post
    Stop cuddling them.

If Russian nationalist shot up a theater you would be screaming for war. Isis does it and your all " Well not all Muslims!" its getting tiring at this point.
    Are you saying we should go to war with Islam because of ISIS?

Quote Originally Posted by primalmatter View Post
    Stop cuddling them.

What a misguided comment.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vindicatorx View Post
    Yeah don't really care either. I think you are looking too much into it and are borderline conspiracy theory which is against the TOS for the site.
    not Borderline conspiracy because It's already in the news and it's causing a shitstorm. the EU is also mad at the US for this, it would be Ironic because most of the time the GOP was accusing Iran of breaking the JCPOA agreement yet it seems they were clearly the first side to make it official. and now they're warning Obama that they won't let him try to change the passed bill.

you should read more.
    Last edited by Gamevizier; 2015-12-23 at 06:22 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hardly sabotage. Make sense to keep track of people who go to targeted zones. Only reason Saudi Arabia isn't on there is because of the stronger relationship politically.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Collegeguy View Post
    Hardly sabotage. Make sense to keep track of people who go to targeted zones. Only reason Saudi Arabia isn't o there is because of the stronger relationship politically.
    yes but take this into consideration :let's say hypothetically that you're a european businessman running a small to medium business. you want to try to visit Iran which is now not under the sanctions. but if you step into that country you'll risk losing your visa-waiver. what that means is that you will now have to visit the US embassy, pay the visa fee and then it's up to them to agree to grant you a visa, and the embassy can deny you a visa if they will it. now for big businesses it might not be a problem but it's going to be a bitch for the rest.

this bill is going to strongly discourage europeans from establishing business ties in Iran all the while leaving Russian, Chinese and other countries without much rivalry. so it's going to severely discourage small to medium european businesses the most, and this was something Europe was counting on when they were trying to work something out with Iran.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by banestalker View Post
    yes but take this into consideration :let's say hypothetically that you're a european businessman running a small to medium business. you want to try to visit Iran which is now not under the sanctions. but if you step into that country you'll risk losing your visa-waiver. what that means is that you will now have to visit the US embassy, pay the visa fee and then it's up to them to agree to grant you a visa, and the embassy can deny you a visa if they will it. now for big businesses it might not be a problem but it's going to be a bitch for the rest.

this bill is going to strongly discourage europeans from establishing business ties in Iran all the while leaving Russian, Chinese and other countries without much rivalry. so it's going to severely discourage small to medium european businesses the most, and this was something Europe was counting on when they were trying to work something out with Iran.
    It's not like they are going to deny without reason or indefinitely, and if you smell fishy then good. It would only be a concern if you up to something. You have nothing to worry about then you have nothing to hide, and it's mostly to keep track of them in order to separate them from Western visas. You should have to think twice if you plan on visiting those countries and your up to no good.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by banestalker View Post
    you should read more.
    Note the first part of my comment

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    I think he's saying we should go to war to jump start the economy and reduce unemployment.

I mean, it's not like dead soldiers continue to suck the government's teat after they die.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    To be frank we should but we won't and I am going to tell you why quite bluntly.

To the West the idea of religion is almost completely lost. You have the pope spouting nonsense that people who don't believe in god can go to heaven and other absurdities. Basically religion in the west has devolved to the point where it is a app with a picture of jesus giving you a thumbs up.The grand majority of people in the west don't live by the religion they claim to be a part of. Have no idea of its teachings or scripts. In essence they are atheists of a different name.

The middle east isn't like that. They have real faith. They will actively follow the teachings of religious scripts as a guide for day to day living. They live and die by the way their faith dictates. People who don't are the vast minority in those countries and are socially shunned when not attacked.

The West is either has suicidal belief that religion like that will just be shed off instantly or is in complete denial about the threat it represents.

I know this forum though. Its a forum that allows religious conversations so long as they are pro Muslim and don't quote the quran that actively shows what it is they believe.

So I'm not going to follow up on this post but the idealism you carry has already gotten hundreds killed and sadly it seems hundreds or more will need to die before you wake up and get off the fence.