Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Everything is paid up front but we

Have you ever thought about this? The entire world is missing a month's worth of money.
    Your insurance, clothing, food, mortgage, you pay first and then you receive.
    If thats the case then why does everyone get paid after they completed the work?

It doesnt add up. Somewhere someone is getting very rich somehow.
    Thoughts?

Cause shits stupid.

But in a way, can't really trust people to get paid for 8 hours and actually work that. People will be people.

Companies generally have more to lose so you know if you pay for 30 days of something you will get it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    No she shouldn't be removed she is an elected official and hasn't broken any laws just hurt some people's feelings.

It's called buying.

It's easier for people to check the reputation of companies than for companies to check the reputation of people. People can hide, companies can't.

If you pay them first they wont show up.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Your paying for access of a specific length of time. Why, for example, would blizzard take the risk of letting you play WoW for a month THEN try to get you to pay for said month? You know going into the deal that when you pay the money, you will have the service from X to Y, and that is what you are paying for.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm pretty sure you get food and clothing when you pay for it. Your mortgage is also an advance from the bank so it's the complete opposite of your complaint. By obtaining a mortgage you can get house decades before you could purchase it outright. The only real example you gave is insurance and even that one's not very good.

10+ Year Old Account
    That really does depend on the circumstances. I've done a lot of contract work where I got paid before I started. It works both ways, depending on who's got the better capacity for negotiation.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Related question: Why does a company get pissed off if I pay on the 24th instead of the 23rd, but if they end up owing me a refund or other payment, they tell me it'll take "4-6 months to process"?
    Waiting on other charges to come through, and payments/credits to appear and settle.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's how economy (and law enforcement) evolved, so man-in-the-middle of chain "producer-distributor-consumer" is never on the "loss" side.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

Quote Originally Posted by drwelfare View Post
    Waiting on other charges to come through, and payments/credits to appear and settle.

I hear ya and agree, but most do it to be shitheads. 4-6 months? That's just them hoping you forget.

I also hate when places demand you write and use snail mail when wanting a refund, but taking your cash happens 0.03 seconds after you click buy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    No she shouldn't be removed she is an elected official and hasn't broken any laws just hurt some people's feelings.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiift View Post
    Have you ever thought about this? The entire world is missing a month's worth of money.
    If thats the case then why does everyone get paid after they completed the work?

Thoughts?
    Depends on which company you go with. I work for Liberty Mutual insurance, and we have a variety of ways to bill you; some of them include after service has been provided. With certain restaurants, you eat before you pay.

But, your point is not lost. I have to agree.

Thoughts?
    It's actually the same reason in both cases. You are not to be trusted.

If they let you wait till the end of the month to pay rent, what if you skip town on the 29th?

If they pay you on the 1st of the month for that month's worth of work, what if you don't show up on the 2nd?

Thoughts?
    First of all, of course when you get a good or an item, you pay for the item up-front, and then you receive the item you paid for. This is because it's a singular transaction completed in one sitting, not an on-going relationship the way an employee has with his or her company. However, if you "buy" a house or a car through financing, it's actually backwards - you get the house or car upfront, and pay it off over time because cars and houses are extremely expensive and there are industries that benefit from allowing you to pay it off over time rather than requiring you to pay for it all upfront (although that is always an option).

Now let's talk about wages.

If you get paid salary, you get paid a regular, predictable amount regardless of hours worked. If you get paid hourly, then you get paid on a (almost always) bimonthly or two-week cycle, and you get paid AFTER you complete the work because it's the only way to calculate the amount of hours you actually worked and are thus entitled to be paid. If the boss paid in advance, and workers got paid for 80 hours of work regardless of whether or not they showed up, then why bother to stick to the schedule? Schedule adherence would be a nightmare and the company you work for would lose shitloads of money, even on workers who *mostly* stick to their schedule. Contrary to what you might believe, companies are not made of infinite money - they have a budget just like everything and everyone else in existence, and paying hourly workers in advance is the quickest and easiest way for a company to go bankrupt.

And look at it this way: if a worker is paid in advance for 80 hours and misses a day because they called in sick, then technically they have committed fraud and their boss can take him or her to court.

It's much better for everyone if hourly-paid workers are paid for actual hours worked, and thus paid after the work is done.
    Last edited by jimboa24; 2015-12-24 at 05:41 AM.

Actually of all the things you listed the one that stands out is insurance.

Your mortgage comes after you bought the house, its credit.

Your food and clothing are selected before you pay.

But insurance, well that you just get totally fucked on because not only are you required by law to buy it you don't hardly get anything in return before or after its paid for.

But can I read between the lines here for a moment?

Is this the next phase in the whole anti-common sense economics movement?

First comes $25/hr minimum wage, second comes a years pay up front?

Ha ha, just kidding ...kinda ...
    Last edited by TrumpIsPresident; 2015-12-24 at 05:32 AM.
    MAGA
    When all you do is WIN WIN WIN

Quote Originally Posted by Zombergy View Post
    But insurance, well that you just get totally fucked on because not only are you required by law to buy it you don't hardly get anything in return before or after its paid for.
    Yeah, don't get me started on that idiotic law that supposedly "solved" the healthcare problem by making it illegal to not have health insurance.

How about we next "solve" the homelessness problem by making it illegal to be homeless?

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    I know if I got paid in advance, I'd slack off as much as possible because I was already paid. I wouldn't say it was good or justified but I know I would do it at least a little bit. The temptation would be there.
    Paladin Bash has spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinBash View Post
    I know if I got paid in advance, I'd slack off as much as possible because I was already paid. I wouldn't say it was good or justified but I know I would do it at least a little bit. The temptation would be there.
    It's called human nature. It's also why companies don't ever pay non-salary workers in advance - it's just asking to be ripped off.

Quote Originally Posted by drwelfare View Post
    If you pay them first they wont show up.
    Bleh, simplification. If they want to get paid again, they'll show up again.

The complaint seems to be more about pay cycles. E.g., every second Friday, or every second and last thursday of a month. There's a lot of accounting going on behind the scenes, and it just works that way.

In short, budget, or ask if you can get paid under the table (which will be adjusted on your next paycheck, including payroll taxes, if you work for a reputable company.)
    Last edited by belfpala; 2015-12-24 at 05:42 AM.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Related question: Why does a company get pissed off if I pay on the 24th instead of the 23rd, but if they end up owing me a refund or other payment, they tell me it'll take "4-6 months to process"?
    or better yet 15 mins late to the Doc get charged and often appoint cancelled,,, wait 1hr past your time and nothing notta zilch.... just told oh we are busy.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22