Page 1 of 2
LastLast

What would happen if every laboratory mouse was released into the wild?

This is a less realistic concept, but imho would be a pretty interesting food for thought. If every single laboratory mouse and rat were released, what would be the effect with any brown rat and house mouse population? Think about how humans as a species pocketed throughout the Earth have developed mutations some physically obvious. Think about how many mutations would spread throughout mice and rats.

All the brown rats would accuse the white rat of living a privileged life due to his white-rat privilege.

HAHaha ...sorry I had to.

But seriously, what sort of lab did this rate escape from?

Wouldn't want these guys to show up.

MAGA
    When all you do is WIN WIN WIN

They'd die. They're bred white, it's a significant fitness disadvantage.

Whole lota predators about to get real fat...

10+ Year Old Account
    I suspect it would lead to a large number of well fed feral cats.

Edit: I was slow on the draw.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

Deleted
    Aren't a % of laboratory rats sterile?

The Secret of Nimh would be more than just a movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    I'm aware, but mice breed fast and if they were to encounter wild mice and interbreed with them, some of those genes could spread (not the whiteness, but the modified genes from scientists)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post
    I'm aware, but mice breed fast and if they were to encounter wild mice and interbreed with them, some of those genes could spread (not the whiteness, but the modified genes from scientists)
    Most would die though as would their offspring. It would likely only affect 1%

Not really much... animals carry disease naturally... I guess there could be a small outbreak of diseases we destroyed but we could simply get rid of them again though quarantine as a worst case scenario. Though that is unlikely to happen it wouldn't really do anything most likely.

Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    The majority of lab mice are not white - the most common strain is the C57BL/6 by a wide margin. They're black.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post
    There aren't many research mice with mutations that would be interesting in nature. Most of them are just loss of function mutations. If you take a TLR4 KO mouse, you're just going to have a mouse with a somewhat weaker immune system; breed it with a wild-type mouse and all you get is a restoration of function.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    The majority of lab mice are not white - the most common strain is the C57BL/6 by a wide margin. They're black.
    I've never used anything but balbc (and that was 10 years ago). Excuse my ignorance!

They'd die

not mainly because of colour like someone stated more so because they've been used to feeding in an artifical enviroment, they'd be lost on their own.

They will die.

Between being white in a forest environment and not knowing how to avoid predators and find food... It's simple really.

It's like asking what would happen if you tasked Paris Hilton with surviving in a jungle. Same thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    No she shouldn't be removed she is an elected official and hasn't broken any laws just hurt some people's feelings.

Deleted
    Allot of research would be wasted.

Then in a few millions years the dominant rodent species will have a human ear on its back (because the mouse ladies dig the ear back, yay natural selection).

Deleted
    zombie apocalypse

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The Chinese will declare that they're aphrodisiacs and hunt in to extinction.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Aren't a % of laboratory rats sterile?
    Some are yes, however that is a minority afaik, a lot of rats are specifically bred to enhance certain traits, which means they cant be sterilized

Theyd form in pairs and try to take over the world.