Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

What musical instruments and what genres of music do you play?

Music has always been one of the essential parts of my life. I played classical piano in my school days for 6 years, later moved on to jazz, blues and funk. Recently became interested in ethnic African music. Today I play piano (my primary instrument) and drums a lot, electric guitar sometimes.

What about you?
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Deleted
    I'm 23 and I've always wanted to play a Piano...I'm kinda clueless on how much it would cost me if I would start now. :S

15+ Year Old Account
    I played drums for most of my life. I also know piano, guitar and bass, but drums were aleays my passion. The bands I were in the longest played industrial metal and blues rock ( 2 different bands). I really loved playing anything though.

I've been getting back into bass guitar after taking a decade off. I just like interesting (to me) bass lines. Genre isn't the important part, just the groove.

I need to practice more than I do.
    Bandwagon sports fans can eat a bag of http://www.ddir.com/ .

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeilon View Post
    I'm 23 and I've always wanted to play a Piano...I'm kinda clueless on how much it would cost me if I would start now. :S
    You can buy a good digital piano for just $500:
    http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-Portabl...electric+piano

I'm not sure how much time it takes to learn it though, if you don't have an instructor. If you get decent books on musical theory, on the genre you are interested in and on the piano itself, then, I'd say, you might start feeling quite comfortable with the instrument after a few months of regular practice. Piano is very difficult to master, due to the way the keys are set up (changing a key from E to F changes the whole chord signature, for example), but it is not especially hard to get to the level of being able to learn new songs of high complexity, and to improvise a bit.
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've always wanted to learn the violin

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    You can buy a good digital piano for just $500:
    http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-Portabl...electric+piano

I'm not sure how much time it takes to learn it though, if you don't have an instructor. If you get decent books on musical theory, on the genre you are interested in and on the piano itself, then, I'd say, you might start feeling quite comfortable with the instrument after a few months of regular practice. Piano is very difficult to master, due to the way the keys are set up (changing a key from E to F changes the whole chord signature, for example), but it is not especially hard to get to the level of being able to learn new songs of high complexity, and to improvise a bit.
    The only thing scaring me off is that I have to learn to read notes or chords(?) first. I have literally zero knowledge of music so far.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeilon View Post
    The only thing scaring me off is that I have to learn to read notes or chords(?) first. I have literally zero knowledge of music so far.
    It is all pretty easy, if well explained - it is a matter of picking the right book. What is harder is putting all these things in practice. I probably have 1,000 as many musical constructions in my head as I can play when I'm improvising.

Started with drums, branched out to guitar, bass, and piano in that order. Wrote, recorded, and released a couple albums of instrumental music as well, prog-rock type stuff sort of.

Anyone wanting to learn piano should absolutely do so, and take lessons. You'll learn to read / write music (probably) along the way. It's the one thing I'm glad I did at least for a little while, and should have done decades earlier.

Used to practice piano/keyboard when i was way younger, But being hearing impaired doesn't exactly make it easy and i eventually gave up, probably still have my yamaha mx somewhere :3

Deleted
    I am playing the violin. Kinda.
    Started doing so as a child and was pretty decent; but I lost interest and just recently picked it up again. :3

Stood in the Fire LegendaryDude's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I mainly play bass, but i've been getting better at guitar recently too. When it comes to which genres i like to play the most, what follows is the typical clichee list of things bass players like to play:

Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Muse, Tool, Metallica, Dream Theater, and recently Royal Blood (check em out, they're fucking awesome). In general, i like to play anything where the bass is actually treated as one of the main instruments defining the sound, bonus points if there are a lot of interresting effect choices (Muse probably stand out the most in these regards).

7+ Year Old Account
    Guitar mostly. Some drums, bass, keyboard/piano, etc. \m/

I can kinda pluck a few notes on guitar and piano. Can keep a pretty good beat on drums too- but my husband is an actual drummer. I could also fumble through a little bit on xylophone.

I listen to extreme heavy metal. I can't play a fucking thing resembling music.

baritone, trumpet, tenor saxaphone. It's been years though.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Deleted
    1920s jazz with a Triangle

I like music that is dark, complex, heavy and fast.
    I like old early 80s punk.
    Early 90s death metal.
    I love stuff like old David lee Roth van Halen.
    I love the appetite for destruction guns and roses stuff.
    I loved velvet revolvers first album.
    I love iron maiden, number of the beast through seventh son of a seventh son album.
    I love old Metallica kill em all to and justice for all.
    When I mellow out I usually like Simon and Garfunkel, the police, pink Floyd dark side of the moon.
    I love stuff like john Williams movie scores.
    I love classical music like Bartok, Stravinsky, Wagner, Mussorgsky.
    I love stuff like the Melvin's, tool, smashing pumpkins.
    I love the beastie boys and public enemy.
    Progressive jazz like miles davis bitches brew.
    I play guitar and bass.

Quote Originally Posted by LegendaryDude View Post
    I mainly play bass, but i've been getting better at guitar recently too. When it comes to which genres i like to play the most, what follows is the typical clichee list of things bass players like to play:

Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Muse, Tool, Metallica, Dream Theater, and recently Royal Blood (check em out, they're fucking awesome). In general, i like to play anything where the bass is actually treated as one of the main instruments defining the sound, bonus points if there are a lot of interresting effect choices (Muse probably stand out the most in these regards).
    Are you my distant relative?
    Bandwagon sports fans can eat a bag of http://www.ddir.com/ .

10+ Year Old Account
    I play piano.

Deleted
    Air guitar mostly