Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Guitar and drums but I'm shit at both. Instruments need a lot of time and practice, things that are difficult to attain.

15+ Year Old Account
    I have a mandolin, don't really know how to play it though.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

10+ Year Old Account
    Played the cello/bass when I was younger but stopped because I didn't have the time, but trying to start again.
    Life doesn’t get easier, we just grow stronger.

I have been playing guitar on and off since age 16 (I'm 30 now), although I don't feel I've gotten particularly good at it. My biggest problem is the "on and off" thing. It seems like my interest will pick back up, I'll start practicing regularly again, and I'll start getting to the point where I feel like I'm pretty decent at it again, then I'll drop it and lose interest for a few months. Seems guitar is one of those things I can forget really quickly if I'm not playing regularly.

Haven't had any formal lessons. Everything I know has been self taught through stuff like YouTube videos and books or pointers from friends. I learned to read tabs pretty quickly and got pretty good at playing some of my favorite songs (aside from the blazing 1000mph solos you hear in a lot of metal). I also have a keyboard that I've been dicking around with, but I'm still utter noob on that.

I'm into metal, so I like to play that more than anything.

I got into Hard Rock and Metal when I was a teenager and that made me pick up the electric guitar (or, like a dozen of them actually) and take lessons for years. A decade later I went to university and got carried away with music for media, music technology, digital production etc., learned a bit of keyboard playing and write mostly for orchestra nowadays. I still like to crank out some riffs and leads for the good ol' fun of it here and there though.

used to play classical piano until about 20 years ago (started when I was 6) - mostly classical music, but I also did a lot of accompaniment for school productions and picking up and writing down popular music at the time (lets just say when twin peaks came out in our neck of the woods and I wrote put down the notes for the main theme and gave away the copies, I was the most popular person in my school for couple of days :P back in those days, you couldn't just grab stuff of the internet as it was barely in infancy) picked up a 6 string guitar closer to the end of high school, but I'm still pretty basic at it - I can play some cords to accompany singing, but not much else.

currently relearning piano (biggest regret is that I no longer have my old acoustic piano, but at least electric I got has great sound samples and similar pedals). starting with classical arrangements as its what I have sheet music for, eventually, I want to start doing covers for various things. its much easier to find sheet music for those nowadays, but I kinda like putting down my own.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeilon View Post
    The only thing scaring me off is that I have to learn to read notes or chords(?) first. I have literally zero knowledge of music so far.
    I play guitar and bass by ear and I can even figure out a lot of things on piano by ear. You can enjoy playing without reading music. People like Eddie van Halen and slash don't read music well. They play by ear but the nice thing about knowing how to read music and site read is that you can look at a chart of music and play it without ever hearing it before. A friend of mine in junior high school was very good at site reading music. If I showed him a chart of music, he could look at it and play the song well without ever hearing it before. It takes some time to get that down though.

Last edited by Nihilist74; 2015-12-28 at 01:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nihilist74 View Post
    I play guitar and bass by ear and I can even figure out a lot of things on piano by ear. You can enjoy playing without reading music. People like Eddie van Halen and slash don't read music well. They play by ear but the nice thing about knowing how to read music and site read is that you can look at a chart of music and play it without ever hearing it before. A friend of mine in junior high school was very good at site reading music. If I showed him a chart of music, he could look at it and play the song well without ever hearing it before. It takes some time to get that down though.
    pretty much. learning to read sheet music is pretty much like learning to read words. it takes a bit of time to get used to, but once you know how, its like reading posts on this thread.

that said... playing it which sight reading? is an additional skill. kinda like.... typing actualy. for instance, I'm a pretty fast reader, but relatively slow typer and I make mistakes when I type that I have to proofread and correct. and there are some people, quite a number of people actualy, who can type pretty fast and without having to go back, erase, retype.

its vary similar to sight reading/playing.

incidentally. reading notes.. is not the same as reading cords (at least guitar cords). almost completely different languages :/

I wanna play the Ophicleide. I CURRENTLY play trombone.
    Quote Originally Posted by blobbydan View Post
    We're all doomed. Let these retards shuffle the chairs on the titanic. They can die in a safe space if they want to... Whatever. What a miserable joke this life is. I can't wait until it's all finally over and I can return to the sweet oblivion of the void.

I can play Piano and Violin really well and I'm ok with a Saxophone.

My piano genre is mainly just classical, modern and blues. Not much Pop or rock type stuff. Same with Violin really, I don't do much Jazz stuff.

Deleted
    started pretty young with piano (my school was very music focused and my mom wanted me to) and I am very happy I did it because it gave me so much basic knowledge about theoretics in music. I stopped playing for a while but picked up the guitar 2 years ago and I can't and don't ever plan on stopping. I play what I listen to the most, which is Metal in all kinds, also started jamming with friends... playing an instrument is really good for you

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Witchblade77 View Post
    pretty much. learning to read sheet music is pretty much like learning to read words. it takes a bit of time to get used to, but once you know how, its like reading posts on this thread.

that said... playing it which sight reading? is an additional skill. kinda like.... typing actualy. for instance, I'm a pretty fast reader, but relatively slow typer and I make mistakes when I type that I have to proofread and correct. and there are some people, quite a number of people actualy, who can type pretty fast and without having to go back, erase, retype.

its vary similar to sight reading/playing.

incidentally. reading notes.. is not the same as reading cords (at least guitar cords). almost completely different languages :/
    Interestingly, I can read and play in my head music written in chords (A, Db, etc.) easily, while with notes I am not even close to being able to do it... I prefer chord notation in general too, since it leaves a lot of room for improvization: you can always enhance the chords with various extensions.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Deleted
    I started playing on a keyboard as a kid, but stopped after two years. I'm playing a bit guitar now and then since about 5 years.
    But I'm one of the most untalented people on this planet when it comes to music. I probably need about 3 times as much time to learn stuff compared to the average person. What talented people (in terms of speed and accuracy) can achieve in 1-2 years is something far beyond my reach, no matter how much time I spend practicing. So I just play in my room sometimes for fun and watch out that nobody has to hear it.

Genres: Quite different, mostly I try fingerstyle arrangements of various genres.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've been playing guitar since 2001 and singing since 2010. Mostly "screamo" songs (post grunge, post hardcore, new metal, etc.).