[Legion] My plan (holy)

I've never played a paladin beyond level 20, but I intend to play a holy paladin Legion, and use my boost on one.

So, I'll boost to 100 as holy and level as holy. Sounds viable honestly. Then, as my ilvl increases, I'll go solo mop raids as holy. Why do it as holy? Because I flippin want to. And for xmogs. Of course I'll play to the maximums in a group/raid environment and provide the best healing I can, but when its solo or random bg time? I'm flip-flopping talents and messin up some randoms/bosses. (hopefully they keep talents as a just swap and go thing).

Who else is going to stretch their holy muscles and be a combatant instead of "just" a healer?

(On a side note: Judgment tier set>all)
    Last edited by Raji; 2015-12-27 at 11:38 PM.

Deleted
    Well, I personally won't.

Since they are allowing us to use any spec in Legion (no more dual speccing) I intend to use them all. I will still main holy, as I have for the past 6 years, but when it comes to legacy content, dungeons etc., I'll definitely use other specs. Survivability an issue? I'll go prot. High dps needed? I'll go ret.

I can't wait for that change to be frank, it has always annoyed me that I have to choose between ret and prot for my offspec.

Quote Originally Posted by mezmer1411 View Post
    Well, I personally won't.

Since they are allowing us to use any spec in Legion (no more dual speccing) I intend to use them all. I will still main holy, as I have for the past 6 years, but when it comes to legacy content, dungeons etc., I'll definitely use other specs. Survivability an issue? I'll go prot. High dps needed? I'll go ret.

I can't wait for that change to be frank, it has always annoyed me that I have to choose between ret and prot for my offspec.
    Sorry for the Off Topic question, but where did you read they're gonna remove dual spec, allowing us to use whatever we want?

I can't site a source but I heard the same thing somewhere.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vodkatwist View Post
    Sorry for the Off Topic question, but where did you read they're gonna remove dual spec, allowing us to use whatever we want?
    Urm, also having issue finding a written source but I remember hearing it on the panel during Blizzcon (had virtual ticket). Someone from the audience even asked "So does that mean I can use any of the 4 specs on my druid just by respeccing?" and Alex replying "Yep."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vodkatwist View Post
    Can also confirm this, probably means that it'll save action bars/talents etc. for all of the specs. Talent changing is also free.

How do you know you'll even like holy paladin if you've never played past 20? You might hate it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratyrel View Post
    Can also confirm this, probably means that it'll save action bars/talents etc. for all of the specs. Talent changing is also free.
    I believe they will just add 3rd (and for druids 4th) button to respecc.

How do you know you'll even like holy paladin if you've never played past 20? You might hate it.
    This is a valid question to consider. Healers, by healing style, can roughly be divided into proactive and reactive. Paladin, along with shaman falls under the reactive category, where druid and (disc) priest fall into proactive category. I found that reactive healers are somewhat simpler to play - your job is to react to damage that has already happened. As a proactive healer you should have a better understanding of the fight itself so you can predict and mitigate damage before it happens (eg. shielding people before they take damage, soak something or deal with some specific mechanic).

Healers can also be divided into AoE healers and single target healers, where paladin is the class most skewed towards single target healing.

Take both divisions with a grain of salt because essentially, all healers are capable to deal with any kind of damage intake, but there are differences to consider.

On the specs; I'm pretty sure they're adding access to all specs pretty much due to DH having only two specs. Dual spec would've been unfair for them, giving them access to all of their specs while others had to choose. Kinda like how it was semi-unfair to druids since guardian was put in.

As far as how I know I'll like the Paladin? I don't. But I want to play a healer, and the Paladin sounds fun. Plus they seem to have the most fun "I'm not raiding, lets go solo shit" toolbox that I've seen. Druid is close second on paper, with the affinities, but I'm not a big fan of my healing being mostly hots, or proactive, as it was put above me.

And if I don't like the Paladin? It takes what? 2 weeks to get max and geared for LFR?

I haven't used my boost, and don't intend to til the prepatch, however I don't see a class other than disc priest and paladin that has options for healing and damage to be intertwined like they can be for the paladin. That may not be useful raiding, and I'm fine with that, but it'll be fun in dungeons I way outgear and solo

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Raji View Post
    ...however I don't see a class other than disc priest and paladin that has options for healing and damage to be intertwined like they can be for the paladin. That may not be useful raiding, and I'm fine with that, but it'll be fun in dungeons I way outgear and solo
    As any healer, you will always be useful in raiding. Min/maxing healer composition is only expected in mythic progress, and by your words you don't seem to be bothered about that.

Regarding disc priest, we really have to see how they turn out for Legion. I have my doubts about them, since they are advertised as an "offensive" healer, who primarily heal through dealing damage. Since no other healer is designed like that, it gives disc priests incredible edge in some types of content (like challenge modes). My concern is they will either make them OP (competitive healing numbers, almost competitive dps numbers) or inferior to every other healer (lacking the throughput of other healers, lacking the throughput of other dps).

From a biased standpoint (all my healers are 710+ apart from monk), I can tell you I love my holy paladin primarily due to having plenty of utility (BoP, Lay on Hands, Hand of sac, Freedom, Aura Mastery, Bubble to cheese mechanics...) and that list only grows for Legion (check out artifact weapon traits, new spells, auras). Oh and that feeling when (with Arch trinket proc) you crit heal someone with Flash of Light for 700k. I will sorely miss that in Legion

EDIT: just did a quick check on Warcraftlogs, max Flash of Light I've seen was 1.75m hit (Arch trinket proc + 3 stacks of Selfless Healer + Wings + Int potion) (link: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...aling&source=1)
    Last edited by mmoc0b587272a8; 2015-12-30 at 08:14 AM.

When I said may not be the most useful raiding, I was referring to the talents that require you to mix in some offense with defense. I highly doubt using a holy shock offensively, or huddling on the boss for crusader strikes for a bonus to an already questionable mastery is going to be the optimal way to play the spec in progression fights.

Thats cool with me. As long as I get the option for it in mythic or heroic dungeons, lfr, etc.. I'm happy.

It seems to strike a good balance. You get the options for mixing it in when its easy and fun, and it seems like a fun enough play style..But you also have the option to become a buffing throughput god like Paladins are now.

Basically, the versatility that comes with the talents seems fun. Plus, taking shockadin to a whole new level in Legion just seems fun for pvp.
    Last edited by Raji; 2015-12-30 at 02:16 PM.

Deleted
    Basically, the versatility that comes with the talents seems fun. Plus, taking shockadin to a whole new level in Legion just seems fun for pvp.
    Just don't expect shockadin to be viable for any kind of competitive gameplay (arena or rbg at any rating, any raid difficulty apart from LFR). It will never happen because it would be to advantageous compared to other healers. Also, you'd have a very hard time in pug mythic dungeons explaining why you'd want to dps as a hpally.

Deleted
    My main is a paladin and I'm going Holy in Legion too. No holy power(!), auras(!!), the return of consecration and more offensive choices (dmg buffs, reflect, etc), a mix of melee and ranged attacks and wielding a giant hammer along with a book sealed the deal for me. Not to mention that your heals can also deal aoe damage in PvP. It's the perfect cleric. Holy Paladin and Disc Priest seem to be the most entertaining healers for solo content, as they have a variety of tools to deal damage or protect themselves and won't be spamming Lightning Bolt all day long. So cheers Holy Paladins!

Quote Originally Posted by mezmer1411 View Post
    I believe they will just add 3rd (and for druids 4th) button to respecc.
    From what I've seen in Alpha videos, you simply click the spec you want and it is activated. The "activate secondary spec" and "choose a spec" buttons have been merged I guess. You are also supposed to start with a pre-selected spec at level 1 and you can change to another at level 10.
    Last edited by mmoc985e663195; 2016-01-04 at 02:21 AM.

I'm going to level in legion with no specialization. I'll play my character to the MAX. BGs? Yea Ill swap talents (sike im not using talents either) and provide the best healing I can. And for xmogs. Once my ilvl increases, I'll go solo vanilla raids. Because I flippin want to. In mythic raids I'll flip those floppin bosses up with my flippin holy shock. My raid members will worship me as a the flip flop god of flipperoth

translation: I'm going to be the last person on my server to reach 110, then I'll probably queue LFR a couple times before getting bored and quitting the game
    Last edited by barial; 2016-01-05 at 02:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by barial View Post
    I'm going to level in legion with no specialization. I'll play my character to the MAX. BGs? Yea Ill swap talents (sike im not using talents either) and provide the best healing I can. And for xmogs. Once my ilvl increases, I'll go solo vanilla raids. Because I flippin want to. In mythic raids I'll flip those floppin bosses up with my flippin holy shock. My raid members will worship me as a the flip flop god of flipperoth

translation: I'm going to be the last person on my server to reach 110, then I'll probably queue LFR a couple times before getting bored and quitting the game
    I don't understand this behavior. Obviously an attempt at parody on my OP. And an obvious flame. I'm probably feeding the trolls, but dude, if you're going to attempt to insult me at least have a level of wit above the anal [enrage] jokes of trade chat from 3 years ago.

I don't understand this behavior. Obviously an attempt at parody on my OP. And an obvious flame. I'm probably feeding the trolls, but dude, if you're going to attempt to insult me at least have a level of wit above the anal [enrage] jokes of trade chat from 3 years ago.
    It's not a parody, it's my plan for legion. I could've just said "I'm going to play the game in Legion", but that wouldn't have been cringe enough