Looking to build roughly off of the last Setup of the month. Hows this look?

CPU: AMD FD8320FRHKBOX FX-8320 FX-Series 8-Core Black Edition Processor
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B009O7YU56

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler with 120mm PWM Fan (RR-212E-20PK-R2)
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B005O65JXI

--

Motherboard: ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B008B6ONXK

--

Memory: Any suggestions? Amazon is sold out of the stuff that was linked for dolphin. Should I just go with the puppy setup RAM?
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B00339X1EM

--

PSU: [EVGA 600 B1 80+ BRONZE, 600W Continuous Power, 3 Year Warranty Power Supply 100-B1-0600-KR
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B00EON40CS

--

SSD: [Kingston Digital 240GB SSDNow V300 SATA 3 2.5 (7mm height) Solid State Drive (SV300S37A/240G)
    http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Digit...S37A%2F240G%29

Might omit this. I already have a 120GB SSD, but the price looked really nice for the extra room as a primary.

--

Case: Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-02 Mid Tower Gaming Case (CC-9011051-WW)
    http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Carbid...-9011051-WW%29

Anybody have experience with that case? there were some iffy reviews on amazon about the screws holding the back on, but other than that it seemed solid?

--

The GPUs listed for dolphin are higher price now. Do you think i should go down to the puppy level one, or is there something else available right now at a decent value?

10+ Year Old Account
    What is your budget?

About 700ish. Maybe a bit less, maybe a touch more if absolutely necessary.

I dont do a ton of PC gaming anymore, but i'd like to be able to play games decently if i choose to there. I'd also love to be able to play large maps on Civ 5 fairly smoothly.

I dont need a monitor or anything like that.

I would plug all those parts into the pcpartpicker site just to make sure everything will be good together, if theres something that is going to have an issue itll tell you there. Are you using an hdd for your second hard drive? I assume you want more than 250gb of memory? If you can afford it and have the room to spring for a bigger case you can get some full towers for 40$ more , if you are going with fan cooling the extra room is good to have (you didnt list any extra fans if you are going to get some noctua has some super quiet fans for cheap, imo noctua fans are the way to go) , I like this case personally and just built my new rig in it. Super basic design and its got plenty of fan room http://www.amazon.com/NZXT-Source-To.../dp/B00FUC6S5O plus that will leave you room to put more parts in. Since you potentially can reuse the case for any new computers you build its the one part that likely wont ever have to be replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by Menox View Post
    I would plug all those parts into the pcpartpicker site just to make sure everything will be good together, if theres something that is going to have an issue itll tell you there. Are you using an hdd for your second hard drive? I assume you want more than 250gb of memory? If you can afford it and have the room to spring for a bigger case you can get some full towers for 40$ more , if you are going with fan cooling the extra room is good to have (you didnt list any extra fans if you are going to get some noctua has some super quiet fans for cheap, imo noctua fans are the way to go) , I like this case personally and just built my new rig in it. Super basic design and its got plenty of fan room http://www.amazon.com/NZXT-Source-To.../dp/B00FUC6S5O plus that will leave you room to put more parts in. Since you potentially can reuse the case for any new computers you build its the one part that likely wont ever have to be replaced.
    The reviews on amazon seemed to be saying that the case i listed was pretty roomy, and had plenty of space to run wires and all. It also has a lot of room for extra fans (though only comes with two)

Ill be using the hard drives out of my old PC as well. I have a 128GB SSD, 512GB standard, and a third one (i think 256? Its pretty old and doesnt get used much, just for old files)

- - - Updated - - -

son of a...

The mobo just sold out on Amazon (from amazon) and from a different seller i might not get it until next week. Really want to get this built by the end of the week. My old PC crapped out on me last weekend

I'd highly consider NOT using the AMD CPU, for starters.

It isn't saving you any money, really, over buying an Intel part that will perform better and last a LOT longer, given that AMD is about to abandon that platform in late Q1 or early Q2 next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    I'd highly consider NOT using the AMD CPU, for starters.

It isn't saving you any money, really, over buying an Intel part that will perform better and last a LOT longer, given that AMD is about to abandon that platform in late Q1 or early Q2 next year.
    I had someone else suggest going with an i5 elsewhere, actually.

How 'low' could i realistically go on the intel CPUs, and do you have any links to component combinations that would work together nicely? 5-7 years ago i knew this stuff fairly well, but i just havent kept up with it in recent years

Want help with your build? Read me!

Include the following information when posting a request.

Budget
    Resolution
    Games / Settings Desired
    Any other intensive software or special things you do (Frequent video encoding, 3D modeling, etc)
    Country
    Parts that can be reused
    Do you need an OS?
    Do you need peripherals (e.g. monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers, etc)?

Ideally include a list of parts, we see the same request almost every day. There are other topics that have parts lists that you can copy and modify.

I Probably should have included that before, eh? heh.

Budget: I'd like to keep it around 700ish. Could go over if absolutely necessary, but the bank account was hit hard by Christmas :P

Resolution: 1080p right now. Eventually i wouldnt mind getting a 4k TV, though...and i'd be using that as a 2nd monitor for some situations.

Games / Settings Desired: Honestly, not a ton at this point on PC. I'd like to be able to buy steam games and play them if i choose to, but i wouldnt be doing anything crazy (I dont need to play the latest FPS on all the highest settings). I would like to play large maps on Civ5 fairly smoothly, which my last PC didnt like doing....

Any other intensive software or special things you do (Frequent video encoding, 3D modeling, etc): Not really. Maybe a tiny bit of video stuff here and there, but its not something i actively do. Im a draftsman, but i dont see myself having CAD at home.

Parts that can be reused: DVD drive, hard drives (couple of older ones, including a 512GB, along with a 128GB SSD)

Do you need an OS?: Nope.

Do you need peripherals (e.g. monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers, etc)?: I dont *need* any, though if anyone has a suggestion for a replacement for the Microsoft 3000 media keyboard, i'd love to hear it. Mine is in very rough shape, but i hate getting used to new keyboards.

A little over $700, but this should do you nicely:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($279.99 @ B&H)
    CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 3 67.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler ($54.99 @ NCIX US)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3P ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($89.75 @ OutletPC)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ($50.99 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 380 2GB Double Dissipation Video Card ($173.98 @ Newegg)
    Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($44.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($43.99 @ NCIX US)
    Total: $738.68
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-12-28 20:56 EST-0500

Grab that PSU ASAP as it looks to be on sale currently for a very good price. That or look for something else.

Hrm. Ill have to do some more looking at prices.

I'd rather buy on amzon tbh, largely because i dont have a credit card, and my debit card has a daily limit on it (though i could call and get it raised, ive never done it on the phone however). I can buy directly from my checking on amazon, though.

Thanks a ton for the help! Ill have to decide if i want to spend *quite* that much since i dont play as many games on the PC these days.

Still, my current PC is the old quad core 965 phenom black edition, a 6870 Radeon card, and ive been on 4 gigs of ram for years (something messed up in the mobo), and its lasted for something like 6 years (GPU was updated at some point, and i went to an SSD). If i can get that out of this build as well, ill be pretty happy.

Edit: Actually i can buy the CPU there for an extra 10 bucks, and then probably get everything else within 2 daily limits on the debit card. That should work.
    Last edited by LordVada; 2015-12-29 at 02:38 AM.

A remix of Lathais' build, with some cheaper but still quality parts - specifically RAM (almost 20$ cheaper), CPU cooler (~another 25$), case and PSU.

There is a LOT of Mail In Rebate in both versions, keep in mind. (80$ of 90$)

I put the saved cash into a slightly better GPU, but you could stick with the vanilla 380 and just pocket the cash.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ns3gVn
    Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ns3gVn/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($279.99 @ B&H)
    CPU Cooler: be quiet! PURE ROCK 51.4 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($28.99 @ NCIX US)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3P ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($89.75 @ OutletPC)
    Memory: Crucial 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($39.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Video Card: Asus Radeon R9 380X 4GB Video Card ($243.98 @ Newegg)
    Case: Thermaltake Versa H23 ATX Mid Tower Case ($24.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($24.99 @ NCIX US)
    Total: $732.68
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-12-28 23:32 EST-0500

I'd get an i3 for around the same price instead at this point. Skylake is miles ahead of fx series.

10+ Year Old Account
    Keeping it cheap:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.88 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($104.78 @ OutletPC)
    Memory: Crucial 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($38.07 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 380 2GB Double Dissipation Video Card ($173.98 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($24.99 @ NCIX US)
    Total: $586.69
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-12-29 00:45 EST-0500

Using all the budget:

Video Card: Asus Radeon R9 390 8GB Video Card ($294.99 @ Micro Center)
    Total: $707.70
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-12-29 00:47 EST-0500

Quote Originally Posted by Artorius View Post
    Keeping it cheap:

Total: $586.69
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-12-29 00:45 EST-0500

Using all the budget:

Video Card: Asus Radeon R9 390 8GB Video Card ($294.99 @ Micro Center)
    Total: $707.70
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-12-29 00:47 EST-0500
    I actually like the look of that build overall. Ill probably upgrade the case slightly, especially since i can grab that on amazon.

Im sure it'll still be overkill for 99% of what ill use it for. Add in the SSD i grabbed last night and ill be right near my budget.