Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckSparkles View Post
    General Hux did a good third reich type speech.

Finn was more comic relief than anything. I still liked him. Least he had weakness and wasn't a mary sue like Rey was during the last part of the movie.

I think Kylo Ren has potential. He did Anakin Skywalker better than Anakin Skywalker did Anakin Skywalker.

"TRAITOR!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Finn was a good character though, he was interesting.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post

Finn was a good character though, he was interesting.
    I didn't say I disliked the guy Finn entertained me a bit.

The only character that put me off to some degree was Rey by the end. Early movie Rey was okay. A bit sterotypical female heroine but okay.

I want to see more Poe.

Also Captain Phasma needs to be more like that Stormtrooper who made Finn his bitch.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Revi View Post
    You think Buzzfeed is ridiculing a man for being effeminate? You clearly haven't seen any of the men in their crew.

I think this is about a powerful Sith lord looking like a whiny emo, rather than hair grooming in general.
    That's the thing; Kylo Ren isn't a Sith Lord. He's an apprentice. He was still an apprentice when he took out Luke's trainees, and while he's been training under Snoke, we've had no indication that he's completed that training. His lack of control over both himself and, at times, his powers, speaks to this.

Comparing him to Vader, who by the time of the original trilogy had spent decades as arguably the most powerful Sith Lord in the galaxy (if subservient to Palpatine), is pretty silly. They wanted to ape some of the Vader stuff in this first film, since they wanted to demonstrate that this was a return to form after the abysmal prequels, but he's not Vader, and isn't meant to be.

A better comparison is to compare Ren to Luke, from the original trilogy. A dark reflection, to be sure, but that's the greater similarity. Rei isn't really a Luke analogue; she's not facing the same internal struggles that Luke did throughout (at least, not yet). If anything, they're reversing the dynamic; Ren's the one facing internal struggles to master himself and his powers (like Luke), while Rei is totally convinced of her path and its certainty (like Vader).
    Last edited by Endus; 2015-12-28 at 10:16 PM.

Deleted
    I quite like Kylo Ren's character. Or at least if he's done right in future films I'll like him. He's a villain in progress. If he remains a whiny emo for all three films then that will be disappointing. But I suspect that by the end of the new trilogy he'll be a more controlled, Vader like villain and seeing that progression will make the emo stuff worth it for me.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    That's the thing; Kylo Ren isn't a Sith Lord. He's an apprentice. He was still an apprentice when he took out Luke's trainees, and while he's been training under Snoke, we've had no indication that he's completed that training. His lack of control over both himself and, at times, his powers, speaks to this.

Comparing him to Vader, who by the time of the original trilogy had spent decades as arguably the most powerful Sith Lord in the galaxy (if subservient to Palpatine), is pretty silly. They wanted to ape some of the Vader stuff in this first film, since they wanted to demonstrate that this was a return to form after the abysmal prequels, but he's not Vader, and isn't meant to be.

A better comparison is to compare Ren to Luke, from the original trilogy. A dark reflection, to be sure, but that's the greater similarity. Rei isn't really a Luke analogue; she's not facing the same internal struggles that Luke did throughout (at least, not yet).
    Yeah, I wasn't expecting a new Vader, but it would have been nice with someone who looked convincing in the part of a strong dark force-something who has been given command over ships and a huge army and been taken in as an apprentice for some (presumably) very powerful Sith. The actor can't really help it, I just don't think he fits the bill. At least not yet, hopefully the next movie improves.

10+ Year Old Account
    His lack of control over both himself and, at times, his powers, speaks to this.
    Sith are powered by their emotions, their anger makes them strong. The whole "master, I was tempted by the light" hurts my brain.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Templar 331 View Post
    Sith are powered by their emotions, their anger makes them strong. The whole "master, I was tempted by the light" hurts my brain.
    He isn't a sith. No sith are left to train him. The sith died with vader

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, I wasn't expecting a new Vader, but it would have been nice with someone who looked convincing in the part of a strong dark force-something who has been given command over ships and a huge army and been taken in as an apprentice for some (presumably) very powerful Sith. The actor can't really help it, I just don't think he fits the bill. At least not yet, hopefully the next movie improves.
    He hasn't been given that kind of command. He's the leader of the Knights of Ren, and that's about it. They actually made it pretty clear, IMO, that the First Order types put up with him, because they fear Snoke, but it's more about keeping Snoke's apprentice from losing his shit than it is any respect for Ren himself.

7+ Year Old Account
    Am I the only one who would prefer a well groomed villain? Plus I felt he looked somewhat menacing at last fight seen. All sweaty and shit.

Evil doesn't always look like Palpatine, for example.

15+ Year Old Account
    He hasn't been given that kind of command. He's the leader of the Knights of Ren, and that's about it. They actually made it pretty clear, IMO, that the First Order types put up with him, because they fear Snoke, but it's more about keeping Snoke's apprentice from losing his shit than it is any respect for Ren himself.
    Yes the commander on the ship didn't seem too fond of him, but Snoke himself has given him that control, he was giving out commands and having them followed.

7+ Year Old Account
    I would disagree. That officer who presented Ren with the bad news certainly was scared shitless.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Baar View Post
    Nitpick, and one I'm putting in spoilers even though it's guesswork at this point; there's a strong argument that Snoke is actually Darth Plagueis, who was Palpatine's master. He somehow survived Palpatine's attempt on his life, and has been manipulating events from behind the scenes ever since. May have even been responsible for aiding Luke in bringing about Palpatine's downfall. Would mean the Sith aren't GONE, it's just that Snoke isn't using the label. Yet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Baar View Post
    Then what is this "training" that baldy has been giving him?

15+ Year Old Account
    Am I the only one who would prefer a well groomed villain? Plus I felt he looked somewhat menacing at last fight seen. All sweaty and shit.

Evil doesn't always look like Palpatine, for example.
    Doesn't have to have scars and stuff It was just the whole package, he didn't exactly radiate authority.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would disagree. That officer who presented Ren with the bad news certainly was scared shitless.
    "Scared", yes, because Ren's a volatile nutbar with magic powers and a lightsaber.

Respect, though? Don't agree he had that, and Vader really did, aside from that one general he choked out that one time.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was actually kind of hoping something would come of Captain Phasma. She really struck me as what could be a great villain, she was intimidating though the first half of the movie.. until she got taken prisoner and used to overide the station. She had a look about her that said she was the most loyal to the order, and her suit had seen a lot of fighting and killing.

I really hope they do more with her, because I'm just not interested in Kylo Ren
    Last edited by Trassk; 2015-12-28 at 10:30 PM.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Nitpick, and one I'm putting in spoilers even though it's guesswork at this point; there's a strong argument that Snoke is actually Darth Plagueis, who was Palpatine's master. He somehow survived Palpatine's attempt on his life, and has been manipulating events from behind the scenes ever since. May have even been responsible for aiding Luke in bringing about Palpatine's downfall. Would mean the Sith aren't GONE, it's just that Snoke isn't using the label. Yet.
    As you said. it's guess work at best. Biggest thing that kills it though is he has no reason to hide after the events of RotJ. Anyone who might have known who he was is dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Templar 331 View Post
    Then what is this "training" that baldy has been giving him?

Not sure, but I'm sure it might be better explained in the next 2 movies.

I kinda hope jedi and sith take a back seat in the new episodes actually.

General Hux was a intriguing villain hell most people don't realize he gave the order to fire a weapon that killed billions if not trillions of people in order to secure the rule of the empire. I would rather see it turn into a more empire vs rebel story. Simply due to the characters. Both force users currently turn me off of the movie.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    I was actually kind of hoping something would come of Captain Phasma. She really struck me as what could be a great villain, she was intimidating though the first half of the movie.. until she got taken prisoner and used to overide the station. She had a look about her that said she was the most loyal to the order, and her suit had seen a lot of fighting and killing.

I think she will be in the next movie, and likely much more scary.

Why isn't anyone talking about the real reason that hair is an issue.. how do you keep your hair THAT nice INSIDE A HELMET !!!!

seriously...how?