Block chance and holy shield Question

I wanted to try prot out in pvp no matter how bad it is. I was looking at Holy shield to block out a lot of damage to maybe spin flags in RBGs or something. I also stacked mastery to hit 52% block chance. Now that I am full pvp gear and enchanted I tried to pvp and what I found is that I am only blocking a small amount, it is nowhere near 52%. I am at a loss.

1) you block work only from front (hits from back not blockable
    2) base amout damage wich you block is 30% (40% with perk)
    3) you have 52% CHANCE to block. It's our favourite RNG - on paper it looks that you will block 520 attacks from 1000. ONLY from front

sorry if this not answer you cause i can't get point of your question clearly

Unless it's been fixed, you can't actually "block" spells. Instead the game records an absorb equal to the portion of the attack that is mitigated by the block, which is why holy shield appears on your HPS meter despite having no heal component (druid class trinket, WUE, ardent defender all have a similar effect)

Versatility is really the best choice for pvp, there was a time when Holy shield would just own in pvp, sadly those days are gone. The way Mastery has been redesigned since Cata is more towards the shotr, the Holy Shield talent really just being a more consistent form of mitigation to specialize in.
    Last edited by Seani; 2015-12-29 at 02:04 AM.

I've playing Prot PvP since WoD Season 2.
    I'd agree that Holy Shield is probably the best talent from that tier.
    Although you won't be able to block while Stunned and having your back against your enemy, but reflecting damage back while DoT are on you is pretty sweet. (not really sure if it keeps your target in combat thu)

Versatility is a must, but I find Multistrike also very handy as well, it's always nice to see double crit on SotR or Avenger's Shield at the same time.

Off the topic, since I got my warforged Heroic class trinket, I've been rocking them with my legendary tanking ring in Ashran. Pop both ring and PvP trinket would give you a mega boost of versatility up to 96% and with 80% HP triggering of the trinket, you can deal some massive AoE damage to those around you. With Relic and few pocket healers, you're pretty much unstoppable!

The days of Holy Shield being awesome in PvP are no more, it's not TBC anymore. Long past are the days when rogues and warriors would quickly murder themselves on your shield. It was quite fun though seeing a melee just melt on Holy Shield while you take very little damage and go "wtf just happened".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Phaere View Post
    The days of Holy Shield being awesome in PvP are no more, it's not TBC anymore. Long past are the days when rogues and warriors would quickly murder themselves on your shield. It was quite fun though seeing a melee just melt on Holy Shield while you take very little damage and go "wtf just happened".
    TBC prot pvp yeah right. A spec that did one of the lowest damage, run oom pretty fast, had very little utility/mobility is not considered awesome. All you could do was hope some dual wielding class attacked you.

Holy shield for pvp is better than ever it has been. It allows you to block spells. I'm not saying prot pvp is viable in arena or anything but you can do ashran/BGs for fun. A dot on you will reflect more damage to the attacker than it does to you. It's fun just sitting in front reflecting a good amount damage in Ashran.

Quote Originally Posted by ipoststuff View Post
    TBC prot pvp yeah right. A spec that did one of the lowest damage, run oom pretty fast, had very little utility/mobility is not considered awesome. All you could do was hope some dual wielding class attacked you.

Holy shield for pvp is better than ever it has been. It allows you to block spells. I'm not saying prot pvp is viable in arena or anything but you can do ashran/BGs for fun. A dot on you will reflect more damage to the attacker than it does to you. It's fun just sitting in front reflecting a good amount damage in Ashran.
    A pocket healer is a must thu!
    Also, multistrike seems to work on HS too, so reflecting dmg ticks twice is also very nice. It's always fun to watch a warlock or moonkin kill themselves with their own DoT spells

Beginning of the TBS was the best time for Prot imo. You'd just stack +Block stats and with Rank 1 & 2 SotR not sharing same cooldowns, that's some serious burst right there. Ah, good times.