Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    Gene Wolfe's Torturer series.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post
    This is in my to-read list.
    You won't regret it. There is a lot to read, but it is well worth the time spent!

Dave Gormans Googlewhack Adventure.
    Danny Wallace Friends Like These.

Deleted
    The Warded Man (or the Painted Man if you live in the US) by Peter V. Brett. Beginning of a very good series, movie being made for 2016. Best book I've read in some time.

Deleted
    Really depends what you want to read: for fantasy try the wheel of time books (you will be busy with that one for a while)
    If you want more insight into (the current) try reading an annotated version of tale of the three kingdoms

Deleted
    Justin Cronin - The Passage. Very good book series, I hope they make a TV-Show based on it.

OMG wel Raymond E Feist has some good books. Starting with the Magician from the riftwar saga.

Deleted
    It pisses me off to no end that I can't seem to enjoy books like other people, I simply can't get into reading...and I really want to as it seems there are some good books out there.

How do you feel about philosophy books? I like the screwtape letters by c.s. lewis. Its written from the perspective of a demon sending letters to his nephew about how to corrupt people of the Christian faith. It covers the sins and morals and its pretty interesting. Its only like 150 pages if I remember right

Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post
    /snip
    They have GoT in 'God Tier'? I can see why I stopped going to that pretentious board.

Infinite Jest is pretty amazing, I'm surprised nobody mentioned it yet.
    Most people would rather die than think, and most people do. -Bertrand Russell
    Before the camps, I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldn’t be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps one learns: if you belong to a successful nation you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity - too bad for you -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

anyone here like the forgotten realms setting? the Drizzt books by R.A.Salvatore are pretty good.

even though the icewind dale trilogy was written first, it begins with the dark elf trilogy (homeland, exile, sojourn)

people might think they are a bit kiddy, but they are a good read.

10+ Year Old Account
    My issue with books is accessability aka money. Im a hard cover english versions fan and there are few bookstores here and some are mainstream like Bertrand and i aint about to pay between 15-30 euros for a book.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hey guys. I was mostly thinking of renting some books from the Library, or my university's library... So yeah... Should have had that put on the OP.

Also, I don't care much for the genres, as long as they are good. Handmaiden's Tale was more of a feminist book but I liked it. The Kiter Runner had to do with immigration/religion/culture etc etc etc but it was also good.

To be frank, I am a lazy person so I don't like to read in general, but mostly want to get back into it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeilon View Post
    It pisses me off to no end that I can't seem to enjoy books like other people, I simply can't get into reading...and I really want to as it seems there are some good books out there.
    I cannot just sit in silence and read books, since I fall asleep very fast, even if the book is really amazing. However, listening to music and reading at the same time works fine. Of course, the music should suit the mood of the book, otherwise the immersion is breaking.

Quote Originally Posted by Othraerir View Post
    anyone here like the forgotten realms setting? the Drizzt books by R.A.Salvatore are pretty good.

even though the icewind dale trilogy was written first, it begins with the dark elf trilogy (homeland, exile, sojourn)

people might think they are a bit kiddy, but they are a good read.
    Dark Elf trilogy is next on my reading list. Been meaning to start reading it for quite some time.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold21 View Post
    My issue with books is accessability aka money. Im a hard cover english versions fan and there are few bookstores here and some are mainstream like Bertrand and i aint about to pay between 15-30 euros for a book.
    I simply use Kindle store and buy electronic versions. Hard cover books no longer work for me: I can take my iPad anywhere and read anywhere, while with dozens hard cover books it becomes very inconvenient.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

15+ Year Old Account
    Any Mika Waltari book you can get your hands on in English (assuming that's what you read).
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hypermode View Post
    Really depends what you want to read: for fantasy try the wheel of time books (you will be busy with that one for a while)
    If you want more insight into (the current) try reading an annotated version of tale of the three kingdoms
    I personally would really not start with Wheel of Time. I started reading those books when they first came out, and I was really addicted to them but they got gradually worse after book 4 really. Perin became a complete train wreck, and the books in general became very boring. The first four are awesome, but the rest really is probably not worth your time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    I cannot just sit in silence and read books, since I fall asleep very fast, even if the book is really amazing. However, listening to music and reading at the same time works fine. Of course, the music should suit the mood of the book, otherwise the immersion is breaking.

Dark Elf trilogy is next on my reading list. Been meaning to start reading it for quite some time.

I simply use Kindle store and buy electronic versions. Hard cover books no longer work for me: I can take my iPad anywhere and read anywhere, while with dozens hard cover books it becomes very inconvenient.
    Im the opposite, i cant read books on my pc or ipads. I have Sam Harris book and the works of Spinoza and i havent touched them

Quote Originally Posted by Cairhiin View Post
    I personally would really not start with Wheel of Time. I started reading those books when they first came out, and I was really addicted to them but they got gradually worse after book 4 really. Perin became a complete train wreck, and the books in general became very boring. The first four are awesome, but the rest really is probably not worth your time.
    Hmm...To me...book 1 was a good introduction to the world and our main heroes. And I enjoyed book 2 on its own merits. When I finished book 3 I was disgusted when I realized it wasn't a trilogy and when book 4 came out I ignored it for a year. When book 5 came out and I saw the fourth book was in the discount bin well...since I didn't have anything else to read at the moment I gave it a whirl. And the direction the story went into was quite the surprise to me. When I finished it I was really curious about book 5, and after finishing that, I wanted book 6 NOW!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tibbetts View Post
    One of my friends, who actually convinced me to start reading this series, said that by book 7-ish it became stale, but then picked up again later. Is that true? Or did you enjoy it straight through?
    Book 6 was a high point and hard to top. I remember being so into book 6 I was almost yelling at it. The buildup to that ending was intense!
    Things kind of slowed down, and I know many that were disappointed with books 9 and 10. He experimented with differing writing styles and that decreased the quality a bit. But he came back at the 11th book. However, everyone was absolutely dismayed and devastated when Robert Jordan passed away after that book.
    But everyone was shamelessly cheered when the news came out that the series would be finished by coauthor Brandon Sanderson. (under the editing aegis of Jordan's wife, who also edited all of her husband's work.) And book 12 came out and was read with a degree of relief. (He smoothed out some of Jordan's prose and the collaboration was definitely a good read). The last book "Memory of Light" was epic, and it ended on a satisfying high note.

David Eddings' Pawn of Prophecy was a breath of fresh air in a time that the genre was pretty much stale. The Belgariad and the Elenium were fun to read. His follow-ups to both series, well, if you're bored go for it. But I found them lesser lights.

Kate Eliot's Crown of Stars series is a bit thick and baroque, but not bad at all. Kudos to the author for refusing to cut her final manuscript, thereby giving us all another book to read.)

I also got a kick out of Janny Wurt's War of Light and Shadow series.

Jim Butcher's The Dresden Files are fun to read. His writing was a bit formulaic at first. But after that third book Butcher typically grabs you from the first page and doesn't let go.
    His other series the "Codex of Alera" is also enjoyable.

Dragonlance Chronicles, and the follow-up, the Dragonlance Legends. (both trilogies) by Weis and Hickman.
    You get dragons, elves, mages, the whole nine yards. And what begins in the Chronicles becomes downright serious and seriously moving in Legends. The authors were surprised to find out that the most popular character was the evil mage (The 2nd most popular I think was the evil undead deathknight)...You'll laugh, cry and cheer while reading the series.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Hmm...To me...book 1 was a good introduction to the world and our main heroes. And I enjoyed book 2 on its own merits. When I finished book 3 I was disgusted when I realized it wasn't a trilogy and when book 4 came out I ignored it for a year. When book 5 came out and I saw the fourth book was in the discount bin well...since I didn't have anything else to read at the moment I gave it a whirl. And the direction the story went into was quite the surprise to me. When I finished it I was really curious about book 5, and after finishing that, I wanted book 6 NOW!
    To each their own. I personally think book 2 and 3 are the best. 4 is okay still, but after that it just goes downhill. Especially the books that are mostly about Perrin. At some point Matt was the only interesting character.