Page 1 of 22
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Star Wars is a game-changer, awakening the feminist force in little girls everywhere

Good article here.

Possible spoilers obviously

Patricia Karvelas: This is the feminist punch-the-air moment we’ve all been desperately waiting for

She told me she wished there were more girls in Star Wars and frequently asked me why the girls had side roles. She settled on becoming fixated by Leia and Padmé. We tried to source Leia and Padme merchandise from around the world (thanks eBay) so limited was the stock of female characters. We bought her a Padme dress-up for her sixth birthday party that was elaborately Star Wars themed and fantasised about the day the women were the best pilots and fighters of the dark side.

Finally we have our female Luke Skywalker – an orphaned scavenger girl alone on the desert of Jakku.

Rey is a truly transformative character. Her journey from lonely orphan to kick ass pilot and fighter is effortless. She never doubts herself, the scenes of her flying the Millennium Falcon are the most empowering scenes the Star Wars machine have ever produced. The dialogue between her and Han Solo finally provides the feminist punch-the-air moment we’ve all been desperately waiting for. She’s not passive, she’s not a bit player, she’s not defined by the permission of men. She is defined by what we are all hungry for – her power is derived by merit – she is the best fighter, the best pilot, the natural leader.
    Bridie Jabour: It’s almost an allegory for women in the modern workplace

The “strong woman” is almost becoming a trope but Rey is original while speaking to women on a deep, deep level – battling through galaxies with a less-competent but well-meaning man, constantly underestimated, maintaining the rage and the good humour. It’s almost an allegory for women in the modern workplace.
    Emily Wilson: It was a total surprise to find out the hero was a woman

Somehow I went into the cinema with no idea that the hero would be a young woman and it took quite a while to realise that THIS was the 21st-century Luke Skywalker – THIS was the future of the Jedi knights – some girl!

My favourite scenes were between Rey and “the baddie from Girls”, Kylo Ren. For a moment here or there, we got to see flashes of Rey suddenly looking very dangerous indeed, which isn’t such an easy thing for a young actor to pull off. And rare to see scripted too – normally women are only allowed to look dangerous if they’re playing a crazy person.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...rls-everywhere

Are you pleased that the new hero is a woman? Would you like to see more of this in popular media ?

I think they are stupid.

I'm happy they have a female to look up to, but why is this so big? Do they need a strong female on tv telling them they can do things before they beleive it?

That's their problem. Strength and confidence comes from within. If you need a celebrity to tell you what you think of yourself then you have nothing to cheer for. All this shows is that of Hollywood decides to not cast strong females for 10 years then women are so weak willed they will all give up and never aspire to be more.

It's quite sad.

Be happy for leading females and hope for more, but don't base your self worth around them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    No she shouldn't be removed she is an elected official and hasn't broken any laws just hurt some people's feelings.

I simply want a movie to be good. Main protagonist may be a woman, a man, a transgender of any skin-colour, I couldn't care less.

I actually like to watch a strong female lead over a male one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not this again... Starlight's thread kind of depleted the topic, we don't need another one.

Also... thanks for the spoilers.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    Not this again... Starlight's thread kind of depleted the topic, we don't need another one.

What spoilers exactly? The thread is about Star Wars so obviously avoid if you haven't watched the movie yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhine101 View Post
    I'm happy they have a female to look up to, but why is this so big? Do they need a strong female on tv telling them they can do things before they beleive it?
    That is exactly why Neil Armstrong did not go into space... no other man had ever done it before so he could not do it himself!

There's already a star wars megathread in the movies section.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Quote Originally Posted by lightspark View Post
    I simply want a movie to be good. Main protagonist may be a woman, a man, a transgender of any skin-colour, I couldn't care less.
    This, a million times this. Don't need the numerous articles praising/criticizing the characters' identity. I only complain when the movie is designed to be historically accurate and the cast contradicts that motive.

I really like the character, and the acting done by Daisy Ridley. I actually really liked the movie overall too, even with it's obvious flaws and plot holes.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post

Spoiler alerts expire after something less than two weeks. If you haven't seen it yet, that's not our fault.

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    There's already a star wars megathread in the movies section.
    If TA posted that there, they wouldn't get any response. OT loves dat feminist b8
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    I really like the character, and the acting done by Daisy Ridley. I actually really liked the movie overall too, even with it's obvious flaws and plot holes.

- - - Updated - - -

Spoiler alerts expire after something less than two weeks. If you haven't seen it yet, that's not our fault.
    I hear ya. My friend was getting pissed at me for the original Star Wars spoilers. I was like "bro! If you don't know Vader is lukes dad then that's your damn problem"
    No she shouldn't be removed she is an elected official and hasn't broken any laws just hurt some people's feelings.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    What spoilers exactly? The thread is about Star Wars so obviously avoid if you haven't watched the movie yet.
    I wasn't really serious about this.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Why men need to degrade young girls or teen girls looking towards strong women as a means of helping them find themselves is so beyond sad and pathetic. Little boys and teens alike are taught to look to hero's for inspiration, strength, and something to strive for. They look to them because it helps them feel like they can be so much more.

So FUCK YES we need more strong and intelligent women in leading roles paving the way for the next generation of young women to look towards to help them feel more confident in their dreams.

Ellen Ripley, Sarah Connor, Princesses Merida, Elsa, and Ariel... Yeah, Rey is nothing new.

Quote Originally Posted by ChellDk View Post
    Why men need to degrade young girls or teen girls looking towards strong women as a means of helping them find themselves is so beyond sad and pathetic. Little boys and teens alike are taught to look to hero's for inspiration, strength, and something to strive for. They look to them because it helps them feel like they can be so much more.

So FUCK YES we need more strong and intelligent women in leading roles paving the way for the next generation of young women to look towards to help them feel more confident in their dreams.
    No one is degrading them. What people are saying is that more prominent women is 100% okay, so long as it is not only because they have a vagina. A good character is a good character. Yes there should be more.

However, if you need a strong character on the screen that looks like you to make you feel empowered in real life, that's a symptom of a lack of inner confidence. We should be teaching young girls that they can do whatever the fuck they want regardless of what they see on tv.

I honestly don't see many guys out there admiring other men. Maybe their dad , but the days of He-Man are gone. A kid is more apt to want to be a transformer over James Bond nowadays.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I thought Rey was pretty cool, my oldest daughter and the other girls in the group I was with to see the movie were all about the Wookie.

Little girls need strong Wookie leads.

The series has been way ahead of its time on the feminism front since the first movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Vowrawn View Post
    Ellen Ripley, Sarah Connor, Princesses Merida, Elsa, and Ariel... Yeah, Rey is nothing new.

I like the girl from Brave. What's he name?

Quote Originally Posted by Rhine101 View Post
    I hear ya. My friend was getting pissed at me for the original Star Wars spoilers. I was like "bro! If you don't know Vader is lukes dad then that's your damn problem"
    7 years is the limit. It's been meme material for ages. How can someone not know that?

OT: Your first post says it all.