Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Is EverQuest Next "Vaporware"?

Seriously. It's now 2016 and there is nothing of note.

Was EverQuest Next just BS to sell Landmark? Was it just announced to briefly increase the selling value of the company to Columbus Nova?

W

T

F

Probably not, just announced far too early and then likely delayed given the sale/transition to Daybreak and changing company priorities.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    Seriously. It's now 2016 and there is nothing of note.

Was EverQuest Next just BS to sell Landmark? Was it just announced to briefly increase the selling value of the company to Columbus Nova?

W

T

F
    Could be, be don't confuse malice with ignorance.

Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    Could be, be don't confuse malice with ignorance.
    Honestly, I think they'd hoped the EQ brand and the popularity of Minecraft would have carried Landmark much further than it did, but I doubt it panned out.

Couple that with the struggle of many games that have have "launched" in super early states and had prolonged alpha/beat phases (which are in the past year+ starting to collapse) and you have a game that was likely launched with the best of intentions but failed to pan out in the market.

So basically, ignorance and likely a touch of arrogance. Beyond doubtful there was any malice, especially considering Georgeson was in charge of the franchise at that time, and I can't imagine a single mean bone in his body towards the EQ fanbase.

I'm still hopeful EQ Next might get somewhere, but these days I pay more of an eye to Shards Online and Shroud of the Avatar as hopefuls in the MMO-style genre.

People often forget it takes "time" to develop a game.
    Early access may in some such cases well be the undoing of the game,. such as starbound - in development and available for early access well over a year now.
    Progress is slow,. but most already quit playing it because well,. it's too short as it is.

Its not going to be released as an MMO like promised.

Dont worry. Keep playing ace games such as WoW and Tamriel Unlimited.

It's vapor daybreak is not going to risk money on that project.

10+ Year Old Account
    seems like they're still trying to work on it, however slowly that may be. who knows, maybe one day they'll give us an update.

EQN was announced like 2 years too early. SOE/Daybreak needed to announced development in 2015, show in 2016 and project release a year or two from there.

There was some desperation in trying to announce and show in 2013.

They've never shown any actual gameplay and their YouTube channel hasn't been updated for 6 months. Definitely a vaporware. And I still don't know which features they intended to advocate the Everquest 3 MMORPG.

There was gameplay footage when the game was first announced. Also players could still play Landmark which used the same engine and development tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Lillyth View Post

WoW an ace game Kappa

Quote Originally Posted by Lillyth View Post

What? Why?

10+ Year Old Account
    Vaporware. They lost their lead and most of the team leads in the sale. Some of the better leads ended up at Blizz, the rest are scattered.

Quote Originally Posted by OGXanos View Post
    Vaporware. They lost their lead and most of the team leads in the sale. Some of the better leads ended up at Blizz, the rest are scattered.
    Fer real ?

Expecting Daybreak/SOE to make a good game was a silly expectation long before EQN was even announced.

There is a reason Sony sold them off, they where one of the many parts of Sony in the red and spent years too long making disappointing games.

10+ Year Old Account
    The company that owns them won't risk it, till Landmark's tools are top-notch.

I wish the juveniles would stop acting like it would be Daybreak's fault if it ends up not bearing fruit.

The devs at that studio are great people and quite talented, even with a handful of golden oldies moving on to other companies in the sale.
    Quote Originally Posted by Basmothel
    Lacking ammo, the forum troll darts into the realm of personal insults and doomsaying; the most primitive means of gaining attention from its peers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyadore View Post
    You know something, none of us ruined the game. We make it better. And so do most of you.

Quote Originally Posted by Steampunk View Post
    The company that owns them won't risk it, till Landmark's tools are top-notch.

I wish the juveniles would stop acting like it would be Daybreak's fault if it ends up not bearing fruit.

The devs at that studio are great people and quite talented, even with a handful of golden oldies moving on to other companies in the sale.
    Great people... I don't doubt. Quite talented? So talented they haven't made a memorable games since the original EQ? How many shitty f2p games have they churned out since they basically made WoW become the king MMO by producing an epic bomb in EQ2.

Studios like Blizzard, Rockstar and others take a long ass time to make games. Yet they always end up memorable. SOE/Daybreak has went way over budget/time making games that where absolute shit. Sorry if I don't see the "talent" you speak of.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think some games fall victim to hyping themselves way too early. They don't need to start the marketing campaign on day 1 of whiteboarding plans for a game 3-4 years from release. No Man's Sky might be in the same situation. I'm not sure I care if they ever come out at this point, they've been getting hyped for 3 years now. EverQuest was a cool idea at the time, but the genre has cooled down pretty severely. If you're a dev coming out with a game (or a film company putting out a movie) if it's over a year away it better be something incredible like the next Star Wars movie, otherwise just save up until it's closer to release. Bethesda did that the right way with FO4.