Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy View Post
    There is no possible way this will hold up in court. If people can petition to have your rights taken away without cause, they aren't actually rights XD

Imagine if your family could get together and petition to have your free speech taken away.
    The idea is that it's not without cause. And rights are not inviolable anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

I think it's just a matter of time before this gets tossed onto the Supreme Court's collective lap. And then summarily tossed out as unconstitutional.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    I think it's just a matter of time before this gets tossed onto the Supreme Court's collective lap. And then summarily tossed out as unconstitutional.
    I don't see how. There's cause and process and opportunity for review.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

This law seems fairly sensible, but this is not even remotely close to actual gun control.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRickyB View Post
    this will be struck down as unconstitutional the moment it is challenged.
    I suppose we'll see about that. McDonald v. Chicago didn't strike down laws prohibiting the sale of guns to the mentally ill, this isn't that different. I mean that was a shitty legal decision but it wasn't insane.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy View Post
    There is no possible way this will hold up in court. If people can petition to have your rights taken away without cause, they aren't actually rights XD
    You do not have a completely unqualified right to own a firearm even in the United States. There are circumstances in which the state can legally deny you access to them. The only question is whether or not telling your family you're going to murder your ex-wife (which is what happened to spur the passage of this law) is one of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post

In other news, Texas joins the other 40 or so states that allow open carry. I know I feel less manly without my gun.

Weird that I can open carry here, cross the state border into Texas and get arrested. Well not now but yesterday.
    No thank you. I don't freak out when I see police officers with guns because I know they are (supposedly) trained in their use, operation, maintenance, and are (hopefully) going to be upholding the law.

When I see a random person walking around with a gun in clear sight? It just tells me they're a.) capable and b.) willing to kill someone at a moment's notice, if they deem it necessary. I don't know anything about this person, what they've been trained on, what their beliefs are, or how mentally sound they are.

That is, of course, entirely different from seeing a hunter in their orange hat and vest with a rifle. That tells me that they are at least somewhat knowledgeable about what they're doing/have some experience handling the weapons, and that their only intention is to hunt animals. Pistols aren't for killing animals, they're for killing people.

I don't know about you, but random strangers walking around with their convenient instant death is not exactly something I'm fond of. People are bound to be more uncomfortable, skittish, and prone to panic when they see a gun rather than it being concealed. Is it more dangerous to have it concealed since you may not know it's there? Possibly, but I feel like you'll have more 'accidents' when it's out in the open.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikesglory View Post
    Is there a particular reason many in the US seem to favour people carrying concealed weapons instead of carrying openly?

I would have thought from a "public" perspective you'd rather know whether or not someone is armed.
    Because if a would be shooter runs into a store with the intent to shoot people, the first people he's going to shoot are those with guns, because they're a threat to his plans.