Why the Request a Game/Suggest a Game! thread is a bad idea

I once in a while see a thread where people are asking about a certain type of game, I've written one myself once, and every time a moderator shuts down the thread and directs them to go to the "Request a Game/Suggest a Game!" thread.

I don't like this. You can't shove a complex issue like this with multiple topics and styles into one basket and hide them all there. If someone has a question I will never see it, it will be lost among a lot of others. If I myself have a question there will be no way to effectively follow the discussion since that too will be but into a grinder and scattered among a lot of other answers.

If anything we need a separate subforum for this where we can discuss each question separately. Whenever I feel like asking a question of this kind I immediately change my mind since I know I have to do it in a thread where the question probably will never be seen and I'll have to work my ass off to separate the answers I do get from the ones that have nothing to do with me.

Deleted
    Megathreads are a result of too few moderators and a shitty forum software. There's nothing inherently good about a megathread. It's just how they've decided to do things, because they can't do it any better. So, unfortunately, you're stuck with that thread.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not a huge fan of megathreads personally, but it's not really feasible to make a lot of forums for each topic umbrella. Having a lot of topics of the same thing also may flood the entirety while having a lot of sub forum makes it a burden on the mod and potentially just a lot of wasted space.

Deleted
    Personally I think it would be about time to have a more interactive and realtime forum software that utilizes javascript with ajax calls, that supports a spiderweb-like thread system, where threads can be interconnected via manual links or types or subjects, and so on. Something where you can go off on a tangent that is then shown in an easy-to-understand manner as a separate discussion within that specific thread. Something that exists in much more of a three-dimensional space rather than this typical flat post after post -style old style forums use.

Would just need that software and people to keep developing it when the need arises for new functionality.

While I think separate threads would be fine to ask about and to suggest new games I do not think that the suggest a game thread is busy enough for anyone to really struggle to find new posts or the posts directed to them. As to a post being ignored that is a different matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Spikeyshadow View Post
    While I think separate threads would be fine to ask about and to suggest new games I do not think that the suggest a game thread is busy enough for anyone to really struggle to find new posts or the posts directed to them. As to a post being ignored that is a different matter.
    Yeah that's really my main issue with it. The chance that you'll get some answers to your questions are very small in a thread like that since nobody will notice that you've asked a question in the first place.