Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    We tried that in the uk.

Copycats

American Gladiators > UK gladiators. :P

I have heard that this is the 21st century, not the 1st one...
    NO, FFS!

Quote Originally Posted by josykay View Post
    But a gladiator could still just be either killed of during the fight, or killed by the order of the ruler. This is a huge different compared to martial art, not to mention the usage of lethal weapons. So no, we shouldn't bring those back.
    People that died in Gladiator rings were at a no higher rate than those that die in modern boxing. It was extremely rare and costly. Gladiators were superstars who were legitimately fattened up to make sure that they were not killed, sometimes fights were even rigged. Anyone that died in a gladiator pit was almost certainly being executed for some of the harshest crimes withing Roman law but were also citizens of Rome that made them immune to crucifixion (Which was reserved for the worst of the worst, even murder wouldn't get you that punishment.).

If you want modern Gladiator go watch boxing or MMA it's more similar than people realise. Hell modern day Pro wrestling is much closer to how old gladiators lived and fought than what movies show us.

Deleted
    Yes but only if theyre remote controlled robots, not actual people.

Dreadlord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Let the presidential canditates from the US fight each other to the death in an arena, the winner becomes president.

Warmongering Gladiator Donald Trump, Rank #1 Freedom Fighter
    Last edited by Mitters; 2016-01-03 at 03:22 AM.

There were generally three kinds of gladiator fights that happened in Rome.

The first was for sport. It's where people would have about four "classes" with different equipment (for example, trident and net) and it was far more civilized than people make it out to be. Rarely people died, as there was a referee who stopped the fight if it got too serious. These generally weren't the kind where the emperor would let the other man die, until emperors like Caligula who were just doing it to be a dick. These people were basically boxers/MMA fighters but with weapons instead of fists. I'd be for bringing this back since everyone was a willing participant and the weapons used generally weren't things that could kill people easily.

The second type was man vs animal. Pretty self explanatory. Id be against this as it's glorified animal torture, but places like Spain still do it today. Now man vs robot, I could get behind that.

Finally there were criminal executions, which is what we usually see in modern media. Rarely people would come out alive, and despite it showing massive crowds cheering in modern media most people left the stands because they couldn't watch the brutality of it, and people were generally looked down upon for staying to watch it. Again id be against bringing this back.
    Last edited by Biotec; 2016-01-03 at 04:08 AM.

Sure, and we should have our politicians compete.
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

These people were basically boxers/MMA fighters but with weapons instead of fists.
    By the late republic gladiator fights had basically evolved into this. Fights specifically to the death were rare and reserved for special occasions. The sport was very dangerous though of course, and accidental deaths would have occurred far, far more commonly than in modern martial sports. Especially given medical care back then (although I think gladiators generally received pretty good care for the time).

Its only logical that fights to the death would have been rare. It was time consuming and expensive training gladiators - it would have been uneconomic to throw their lives away so readily.

Quote Originally Posted by Astronom View Post
    Especially given medical care back then (although I think gladiators generally received pretty good care for the time).
    Outside of Emperors they were given the best care. Top Gladiators and Chariot racers were richer in ancient rome than the top sports stars of today are

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Riptor View Post
    What if it was by choose to enter the ring?
    Well we have nonlethal variants of that idea, and good old fashioned video games, which suffice well enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

10+ Year Old Account
    Of course! As long as the OP becomes the first gladiator.

Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    Yes, use it for the world leaders to settle their grievances.
    "Imagine a king who fights his own battles. Wouldn't that be a sight?" - Achilles, Troy (2004).
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Burned Teldrassil, cooking up tasty delicacies with all the elven fat I can gather
    Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    Of course! As long as the OP becomes the first gladiator.
    If Sir becomes the first gladiator I'll gladly become the second myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keyblader View Post
    It's a general rule though that if you play horde you are a bad person irl. It's just a scientific fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heladys View Post
    The game didn't give me any good reason to hate the horde. Forums did that.

It would quickly become the nr1 entertainment to watch that's for sure people always like to watch some slaughter. Also it was the best entertainment back in the days.

Could use it with criminals only, where if they win the whole thing they have a chance for release.

Deleted
    Truth is that people would likely love it just as much as back in Roman times.

As a species we haven't evolved one bit. Same people, just with better technology.

7+ Year Old Account
    Big arena + mud + hot chics = win.

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    According to my mother, UFC/greco wrestling/football is no different from being gladiators.
    Last edited by THE Bigzoman; 2016-01-03 at 06:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I have no interest in boxing, mma, etc. The Flynn Effect also shows that we are getting smarter.
    Yes, and not only smarter but also in general nicer; I can recommend Pinker's "Better Angels of Our Nature".

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    We should try to move forward as humans, not backwards.
    for as long as feminism is a thing, we will always be moving backwards as humans.

Quote Originally Posted by slime View Post
    for as long as feminism is a thing, we will always be moving backwards as humans.
    Woaaa, feminism promotes gladiator fights coming back?

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    So long as it's to the death and has a great commentary team, then yeah for sure.

Modern 'sport' is so dull it'd be nice to see something honourable and glorious for a change.
    Last edited by Aeula; 2016-01-03 at 07:06 PM.