Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

to upgrade to windows 10 or not?

so im gonna re -image my main drive(its been 4 years) and was wondering if i should just upgrade to win10.im worried about all games and programs working correctly.i understand its gonna be a learning thing to understand how to use it.so should i bite the bullet and do it or just wait?

I just did, yesterday, tbh I don't feel any difference at all... gaming, browsing, media... All that's changed to me is just how it looks... I still like XP the most haha

lol.im mostly worried about things working aright and being compatible

I just did a couple weeks ago. I had windows 8, which I never had any problems with. As far as I've noticed it's almost exactly the same except for the start menu, haven't run into any issues yet with games or anything. Might as well get it while it's free(if it's still free for you that is).

Older games might experience problems with Windows 10, at least some games that require CDs for you. Perhaps it was a settings problem for me, but it also had odd ways of updating itself, sometimes it freezed during updates and stuff so...

...not always might it work out for you the best! It might be awkward to navigate around as well, but in truth, it's a learning process. If you get used to it quick, good for you.

Been debating this myself, have windows 7 and am not sure if there's a reason for me to upgrade since I don't have any problems atm and upgrading can potentially cause me any number of problems.
    ..and so he left, with terrible power in shaking hands.

It is incredibly fast.

It needs debloated though, you gain about 15-30 Gigs depending on what you remove and it boosted my start times by 10 Seconds by Debloating.

Also important to note, updates are forced in Windows 10, and big ones (like the most recent one) will fuck with your Installations and Drivers. Thankfully they allow you to remove everything (Wipe the Drive/Reformat) when new updates come out, or when you first install Windows 10.

Overall, I like it. I gained 10 FPS on my 970 with it, but it does have downsides, like I said.

For a debloat guide go here: https://github.com/W4RH4WK/Debloat-Windows-10

Quote Originally Posted by Illusions View Post
    Older games might experience problems with Windows 10, at least some games that require CDs for you. Perhaps it was a settings problem for me, but it also had odd ways of updating itself, sometimes it freezed during updates and stuff so...

...not always might it work out for you the best! It might be awkward to navigate around as well, but in truth, it's a learning process. If you get used to it quick, good for you.
    Gotta disagree here. I had more problems running things like Throne of Darkness, Planescape: Torment, and Diablo 2, on Windows 7 than I do on 10. Although that may just be my exp in the matters.
    Last edited by Paula Deen; 2016-01-05 at 02:27 AM.

Deleted
    I'm staying with 8.1 for some time.
    I don't see any reason to upgrade yet.

Did it on my laptop, issues so far.

1. Edge - Firefox is set as my default but it still opens links in Edge, from various sources.
    2. Start Bar - When it breaks you have to restart, and it will break and you will not have access to it, most of the time you can still right click to restart though.
    3. Sound drivers - They occasionally break in the same fashion as the start bar, restart fixes. Temporary fix is to "end task" on the sound.dll (cant remember exact name), but it comes back after 10-20mins, so you leave task manager open and keep ending task to fix it until you eventually get fed up and just restart.

4. Cortana - Since latest update she decides to become part of your life and you have to disable her.
    5. Emulation - On Win 7 I had Epsxe (to run FF9 in particular) running flawlessly, on win 10 I have fps drop issues which also causes the sound to get fucked.. To be specific I can get around the issues with various GPU plugin swaps and settings changes, only for new fps issues to occur in different areas. I've not been able to find a good all-round solution to these issues so they are probably here to stay.. Thanks Win 10.

6. MotionInJoy - Running my PS3 controller I had to jump through hoops and multiple restarts and setup screens to turn off forced signature drivers, without it my Motioninjoy PS3 controller drivers were blocked by the system and would not load.. This is not very user friendly and I had to google to find the solution, but so far the solution works.

So yeah, Win 10 has no benefits for me, its very flashy and the start bar when it is working is a bit too cluttered, stuff breaking is annoying and the start bar breaks all too often. I'm still running Win 7 on this system and every fucking day It pops up trying to force me to upgrade and I'm just not interested after the shite I've gone through with my laptop. My mother upgraded from 8.1 to 10 on her laptop and hasn't had any complaints, I suppose that's something.
    Last edited by Bigbazz; 2016-01-05 at 04:04 AM.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

Quote Originally Posted by Paula Deen View Post
    Also important to note, updates are forced in Windows 10
    You can change it to "notify when to download" with a bit of magic(registry change) or if you got Enterprise/Edjucation/pro, by setting a group policy in the editor, which basically overrides the standard setting.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenthump View Post
    You can change it to "notify when to download" with a bit of magic(registry change) or if you got Enterprise/Edjucation/pro, by setting a group policy in the editor, which basically overrides the standard setting.
    http://www.thewindowsclub.com/make-w...indows-updates

In case anyone was wondering how.

10+ Year Old Account
    I did a brand new build a few weeks back with a fresh install of windows 10 and have had no problems ....it's weird as hell getting use to it but it works great.

Made by dubbelbasse

Being at the mercy of Microsoft to decide when to update my computer is too much to ask, but if that's not something that bothers you then go for it.

ty for all the replys..think im just gonna stick with win 7 i dont have problems with it and it seems even from other sources i should wait till i really need to upgrade.
    Last edited by psychokilla187; 2016-01-05 at 06:26 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Just make sure you update sometime in the next couple years. They're ending their Win7 support which will leave you with massive vulnerabilities, eventually.
    Not until January 2020 they won't.

Win 7 has to be officially supported until at least January 2020 and chances are it will be extended by another 3 years like XP due to the massive amount of users still on Windows 7 vs. other Windows versions.

Windows 7 will perform perfectly fine and when VULKAN is out you will have (Mostly) DX12 support on it as well.

Just for reference, lots of big-box companies are only just now upgrading from windows XP to 7 on their infrastructure, like cash registers and payment terminals, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Daerio View Post
    Being at the mercy of Microsoft to decide when to update my computer is too much to ask, but if that's not something that bothers you then go for it.
    Except, you aren't...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nocturnus View Post
    You could also go into the Settings app, Update & Security and change the "Automatic" to "Ask before restarting" and it will ask you before it restarts to complete the installation. Also mentions that it won't download on a metered connection. You can also defer major windows feature updates and it will only install security updates.
    Quote Originally Posted by wombinator04 View Post
    $6 for a game made in 1993? If it was free then maybe I would buy it instead of pirating it.

Absolutely not. The small increase in performance does not outweigh the issues with programs I have had.
    Things like Fraps, Adobe Premiere, and Xsplit all seem to function oddly now.
    And whats worse, after the major update yesterday, I couldn't connect to the internet for hours. It appeared to have altered the DNS.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

I have no idea how the hell are you getting all the problems with Windows 10. Are you running some dinosaurs who fart dust in your CPU cases? I've never had a problem with Win10 and I'm updating it all the time. No driver issues, no problems with FRAPS, Vegas and the likes. The start menu never crashed for me.

We're approaching a stage where Win10 is becoming the most popular OS used by people with Steam. It's only 3% behind Win7 and Win7 is declining fast.
    http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey