Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    God damn it, just upgrade (while it's free) and see for yourselves, if you don't like it - you can REVERT back to whatever inferior system you had installed.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Quote Originally Posted by darkwarrior42 View Post
    I've had no major issues with Windows 10; I'm still not a fan of their "users are idiots and need an interface designed for a pre-schooler" style UI, but then that's been popular in Apple products for years so I'm obviously in the minority.

I loathed Windows 8 because it always felt like they tried to design a single OS for phones, tablets, and PCs, then dropped all of them down to the level of a phone.

My biggest issues with Windows 10 so far are based more on company policy than the OS; using a microsoft ID to log onto your system, built-in integration with the Windows store, Windows updates continuously re-installing "Get Office", Xbox programs, and other related Microsoft programs as if forcing them onto my system will make me somehow like them. I also distrust their new update scheme, but that at least can be somewhat ameliorated with registry/group policy edit (though I still dislike that they don't even tell you what the updates are going to do... that alone is enough reason for me not to update unless absolutely necessary).

Still, overall 10 is a vast improvement over 8 in every way I can see, and a performance update over 10... but I do understand the reticence. Microsoft has pretty well gone out of their way to make themselves look as untrustworthy as possible, and their new policies regarding Win 10 don't exactly do much to change that image.
    Striving to create an intuitive interface isn't a bad thing. As you said, Apple's success is proof of that.

Most things you dislike can be disabled; I never used an MS account, only local accounts. I never had issues setting up my update schedule. I've never seen the "Get Office" message. The Xbox programme I uninstalled right after the first boot, but I can imagine it being useful to Xbox users.

Do I like the interface? I'm a Mac user at heart, so no, absolutely not. While it's more intuitive than previous versions, it's still ugly and tediously circuitous. But it is better than other versions in almost every single aspect.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    You can disable the Windows Update on every version of Windows 10.

Just go into services.msc and set the Windows Update service to Disabled. Windows cannot turn it on itself and updates will not come at all. Works on every connection and every version of W10.

OT; I tried W10. I didn't liked it, I had a bug with my keyboard that required a script at startup to fix it (Logitech G510). Some games just didn't play or had window issues (WoW, Saint's Row III as example). I also didn't liked the UI at all, I found it pretty clunky to use.

I went back to Windows 7 in one week. Formatted and installed (and "activated"). Forcefully turned off the update to upgrade to Windows 10 and never looked back. In fact, this fixed even a window issue that I had with WoW as well, as I had a dark border around my main screen which was not present after I formatted it (was originally there on my old W7 as well).
    Much love to Indicate for creating. Eis' work

10+ Year Old Account
    i don't mind windows 10. i'm using it. i found this app called Spybot-Anti Beacon which disables all the communication my pc has with microsoft. (privacy etc). worth looking into at least.
    Hi

10+ Year Old Account
    I updated a laptop that ran win7 like a champ. since upgrading ive noticed a huge increase in the amount of time the laptop's fans are running in 'over drive'. before the fan would kick up if i was doing a lot at the same time. now i can open a web browser and the thing sounds like its gonna lift off from my desk.

on top of that i notice CPU usage is through the roof. Just idling with maybe a web browser or some explorer windows open and all the sudden im sitting at 80-95% cpu usage. I disabled a bunch of shit that seemed to be causing it, like windows loader module or something like that, by setting it to a manual service instead of automatic but services i couldnt disable (like windows defender) keep causing this to happen.

all in all i prefer 7 and thats what running on this system. ive been telling people to avoid the upgrade just so they dont bother me with the problems they inevitably face.

if you dont want to update and are sick of the stupid notification thing, there is a tool ive been using on people called GWX Control Panel which will allow you to get rid of the icon, make it not come back, and clear up the download if it did it already.

PS; if you miss the 'downgrade' option (disapears after a month) and you go to reinstall your previous OS, keep in mind that windows10 changes your installed product key to a new one. dont try to use it on 7 or 8, it wont work. i used an app called ProduKey that retrieves windows keys, the key it listed for Internet Explorer was my original key, the one it listed for windows was not the same.
    Last edited by Septik; 2016-01-08 at 01:51 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    That's why you don't use keyboards that require software to operate(and this isn't a Win10 issue, it's a logitech issue). As for games not playing or having window issues. I've seen none of that. And the UI is essentially exactly the same as win7, so not sure what you're on about.
    His problem with games was probably caused by screwed up Win7 instalation since he also had the black bars before upgrading.

No surprise here, if you're upgrading broken 7/8.1 into 10 then it will obviously have problems. That's why we always recommend clean installs.

I'd say more than 90% of the problems are caused by screwed upgrades. People coming from systems modified by anti viruses or with custom UI themes, broken registry, fucked up drivers or any other gimmick that the upgrading utility doesn't really expect when doing its thing.
    Last edited by Artorius; 2016-01-08 at 01:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Septik View Post
    I updated a laptop that ran win7 like a champ. since upgrading ive noticed a huge increase in the amount of time the laptop's fans are running in 'over drive'. before the fan would kick up if i was doing a lot at the same time. now i can open a web browser and the thing sounds like its gonna lift off from my desk.

on top of that i notice CPU usage is through the roof. Just idling with maybe a web browser or some explorer windows open and all the sudden im sitting at 80-95% cpu usage. I disabled a bunch of shit that seemed to be causing it, like windows loader module or something like that, by setting it to a manual service instead of automatic but services i couldnt disable (like windows defender) keep causing this to happen.

all in all i prefer 7 and thats what running on this system. ive been telling people to avoid the upgrade just so they dont bother me with the problems they inevitably face.

if you dont want to update and are sick of the stupid notification thing, there is a tool ive been using on people called GWX Control Panel which will allow you to get rid of the icon, make it not come back, and clear up the download if it did it already.

PS; if you miss the 'downgrade' option (disapears after a month) and you go to reinstall your previous OS, keep in mind that windows10 changes your installed product key to a new one. dont try to use it on 7 or 8, it wont work. i used an app called ProduKey that retrieves windows keys, the key it listed for Internet Explorer was my original key, the one it listed for windows was not the same.
    There's your problem right there. You updated, not a clean install. Any time you are moving to a new version of Windows, not just W10, -any- version of Windows, you want to do a clean install. It's just always the best, especially for laptops. Laptops often have modified OS installs, so it is even more common for a laptop to have an issue with an upgrade than a desktop, thoguh depending on how long and what has been done to a desktop install of windows it can have issues too.

If I upgrade from IE8, will my favorites get deleted ?

Quote Originally Posted by jimbojo34 View Post
    If I upgrade from IE8, will my favorites get deleted ?
    It shouldn't, but isn't there a way to export your favorites just in case?

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    That's why you don't use keyboards that require software to operate(and this isn't a Win10 issue, it's a logitech issue). As for games not playing or having window issues. I've seen none of that. And the UI is essentially exactly the same as win7, so not sure what you're on about.
    I know it's a Logitech issue, but Logitech doesn't fix it. So why would I then work with a broken keyboard even though it's not a Microsoft issue? That doesn't make sense.

The UI is nothing like it. The UI is a bit more curved and doesn't feel so busy in W7 to me.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Artorius View Post
    His problem with games was probably caused by screwed up Win7 instalation since he also had the black bars before upgrading.

No surprise here, if you're upgrading broken 7/8.1 into 10 then it will obviously have problems. That's why we always recommend clean installs.

I'd say more than 90% of the problems are caused by screwed upgrades. People coming from systems modified by anti viruses or with custom UI themes, broken registry, fucked up drivers or any other gimmick that the upgrading utility doesn't really expect when doing its thing.
    It was a clean install, not an upgrade. I upgraded first and after, to save disk space, I formatted the C:\ drive and clean installed it.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Schadow View Post
    I know it's a Logitech issue, but Logitech doesn't fix it. So why would I then work with a broken keyboard even though it's not a Microsoft issue? That doesn't make sense.
    Clearly the proper solution would be to get a new keyboard.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

7+ Year Old Account
    just did 2 weeks ago, its good imo.

Formerly known as Arafal

10+ Year Old Account
    Uncommon Premium
    A lot of Elitists 100% loved windows 8 after the first SP released. Personally I still LOVE Win 7. Idk, call me crazy but, Windows 7 was the last windows os that just fully feels like a desktop. I'm not saying its as secure/fast as 8 or 10, but idk, I think I'm going to download 10, but honestly, I probably won't install it for months here.

Good luck with 10 though I hear it's nice.

- - - Updated - - -

Also: Linux/Unix/Mac (not for gaming), but is so nice for security purposes - But for gaming, Windows TOWERS

The Patient
    7+ Year Old Account
    I would not do it it earsed my curse client and woyld not me to redownload the file..and..I really cannot play wow something is interferring with the wow program

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Schadow View Post
    The UI is nothing like it. The UI is a bit more curved and doesn't feel so busy in W7 to me.
    Win 10 UI is "curved"? What? It's flat, based on rectangles or straight lines. I'm looking at it right now and I literally can't see a single curve.
    Win 7 on another hand is full of ugly gradients, has curved window borders, horrible low-res title bar buttons with a unnecessarily red close button that simply look old. Which it is, it's old.

It didn't look bad back then, it's basically the same thing as Vista and before Vista we had XP. XP looks horrible nowadays but if you compare it to 2000 it's absolutely beautiful. Thing is, designs get old.

It was a clean install, not an upgrade. I upgraded first and after, to save disk space, I formatted the C:\ drive and clean installed it.
    Then well, don't know. Maybe you have a Nvidia card and were using their horribly bad drivers that they released at the moment, which is fixed by now.

About the keyboard, that's strange coming from a company with this thing at their website...
    Last edited by Artorius; 2016-01-08 at 04:27 PM.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Win 10 UI is "curved"? What? It's flat, based on rectangles or straight lines. I'm looking at it right now and I literally can't see a single curve.
    Win 7 on another hand is full of ugly gradients, has curved window borders, horrible low-res title bar buttons with a unnecessarily red close button that simply look old. Which it is, it's old.

It didn't look bad back then, it's basically the same thing as Vista and before Vista we had XP. XP looks horrible nowadays but if you compare it to 2000 it's absolutely beautiful. Thing is, designs get old.
    You misunderstood me. W7 UI is curved. and I like it, I also still like the Windows XP UI, but W7 UI looks better to me, even when I upgraded from XP to W7 back in 2014. It may be old, sure, but I like it.

Then well, don't know. Maybe you have a Nvidia card and were using their horribly bad drivers that they released at the moment, which is fixed by now.

About the keyboard, that's strange coming from a company with this thing at their website...
    It could be, it was when W10 was released when I tried it.

your link redirects me to this:

" Oops.
    This is not the page you're looking for. But unfortunately, that Logitech product or page is not available in your location. (You may even have a bad link.) Go ahead and keep browsing www.logitech.com for the latest products, support, company information and more."

10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.logitech.com/en-au/windows10

Correct link, I forgot that I wasn't using FF and simply pasted the link over without deleting the http: first. Which resulted in it being at the end of the link =p

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by darkwarrior42 View Post
    I've had no major issues with Windows 10; I'm still not a fan of their "users are idiots and need an interface designed for a pre-schooler" style UI, but then that's been popular in Apple products for years so I'm obviously in the minority.

I loathed Windows 8 because it always felt like they tried to design a single OS for phones, tablets, and PCs, then dropped all of them down to the level of a phone.

My biggest issues with Windows 10 so far are based more on company policy than the OS; using a microsoft ID to log onto your system, built-in integration with the Windows store, Windows updates continuously re-installing "Get Office", Xbox programs, and other related Microsoft programs as if forcing them onto my system will make me somehow like them. I also distrust their new update scheme, but that at least can be somewhat ameliorated with registry/group policy edit (though I still dislike that they don't even tell you what the updates are going to do... that alone is enough reason for me not to update unless absolutely necessary).

Still, overall 10 is a vast improvement over 8 in every way I can see, and a performance update over 7... but I do understand the reticence. Microsoft has pretty well gone out of their way to make themselves look as untrustworthy as possible, and their new policies regarding Win 10 don't exactly do much to change that image.
    All that stuff can be turned off and removed.

Heres a tutorial for all the lazy people like me.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.logitech.com/en-au/windows10

Correct link, I forgot that I wasn't using FF and simply pasted the link over without deleting the http: first. Which resulted in it being at the end of the link =p
    Yep, that is weird, and yet still, it happened. Somebody at first even made a script with AutoHotKey to bypass it, now someone on Reddit made it into an exe. But no official fix from Logitech as of yet.

https://www.reddit.com/r/techsupport...ud_beeps_when/

Windows 10 is a great OS, it's quick and well I love Powershell as well! Also you no longer need to "upgrade", you can do a clean install and just put your windows 7/8/8.1 key in and it'll upgrade the key now. As to people saying that group policies are hacks maybe it's time you learn what GPE really is. Plus Microsoft wants people to receive updates so there OS stays patched and has less vulnerabilities seeing as how I've seen many users turn updates off and never update yet they wonder why it has a shit ton of malware/adware/pup's in it.

I've deployed 10 on to a few thousand computers and the only issues I've had was when some people wanted an upgrade rather than a fresh install and they had old software or previous OS issues that caused problems with the 10 upgrade. Windows 10 on a clean install is extremely nice and I dare say 10 is the best modern Windows OS.