Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Is there a reason to go blacksmith/tailor etc?

Over enchanting, jewelcrafting etc all these is useful through out the expansion, any reason to go Blacksmith?

I assume you are talking about goldmaking. I get the highest margins with Alchemy. I don't have to put anything up on the AH and I get flat gold in return. Never have to worry about it. But then again. I have 8 alchemists and 15 alch huts in my garrisons so I'm getting a bunch of catalysts.

Well, all my toons have 30 slot bags, all 11 of them. I have 4 waiting for my eventual DH, and we have contests in my guild like trivia night where the rewards are 1-4 bags. I have 4 tailors.

Quote Originally Posted by Kantoro View Post
    Well, all my toons have 30 slot bags, all 11 of them. I have 4 waiting for my eventual DH, and we have contests in my guild like trivia night where the rewards are 1-4 bags. I have 4 tailors.
    I'm in the same boat. All my characters have a full bank/bags full of 30 slots. You can make a ton of gold with every profession, you just need to do the daily CD's and work orders. Especially, at least on my server, most people have stopped doing so. But now i can rake in hundreds of thousands of gold every week with minimal effort + treasure hunter missions. My problem is im running out of characters and guild vaults to gold cap.

Deleted
    Some professions have more items that go off the shelves faster. The gear professions are for more careful planning because some mistakes can be crucial. I personally despise professions like glyph making that work on tons of low value items and I prefer either a balanced approach or products that most people find risky to handle.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stylepoints View Post
    I assume you are talking about goldmaking. I get the highest margins with Alchemy. I don't have to put anything up on the AH and I get flat gold in return. Never have to worry about it. But then again. I have 8 alchemists and 15 alch huts in my garrisons so I'm getting a bunch of catalysts.
    What are you doing with Alch that you don't have to put onto the AH which returns decent gold? The daily Alch quest just gives a few BoP potions doesn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Wilderness View Post
    What are you doing with Alch that you don't have to put onto the AH which returns decent gold? The daily Alch quest just gives a few BoP potions doesn't it?
    The Alchemy daily/work order stuff (Alchemical Catalysts) are BoE. There is an item you can craft with alchemy that yields 25g from the vendor and requires 5 catalysts. You get 4 catalysts per work order. So essentially its about 7.5g (depends on server) for enough frostweed for 5 catalysts, but it yields 25g when you vendor. So, in short, insane profits for next to no work. I just gather up a couple thousand then spend an hour /create-all and vendor them. Big money every week.

Edit - Usually get about 15k gold/week, and on my server, i can restock mats for less than 4k. Plus I also can trade in garrison resources to restock as well.
    Last edited by Stylepoints; 2016-01-06 at 06:27 PM.

The Alchemy daily/work order stuff (Alchemical Catalysts) are BoE. There is an item you can craft with alchemy that yields 25g from the vendor and requires 5 catalysts. You get 4 catalysts per work order. So essentially its about 7.5g (depends on server) for enough frostweed for 5 catalysts, but it yields 25g when you vendor. So, in short, insane profits for next to no work. I just gather up a couple thousand then spend an hour /create-all and vendor them. Big money every week.

Edit - Usually get about 15k gold/week, and on my server, i can restock mats for less than 4k. Plus I also can trade in garrison resources to restock as well.
    You make it sound like this amount is actually big but the real truth is that you have many characters doing this.

Daily cooldown rewards 20 (when 700 level) & you need 20 frostweed and about 10 red ores. This price depend on each realm, but lets just say about 34 gold (1.7 gold per math). 1 Daily cooldown lets you make 4 of these 25 gold items, so you make about 66 gold per day on each character, which is not worth a whole profession.

Then have a look at the building. 5 Frostweed per work order, and each work order gives 4 assuming you give up a follower for the building. In about 1 week you obtain around 40 work orders done assuming you keep them running at all times. This will give you 160 alchemical catalysts. This will cost you 1,7 gold per frostweed and you need about 200 of them, so you pay 340 gold to make this work order happen. 160 alchemical catalysts means you can make 32 of those 25 gold items. This rewards you about 800 gold, but since you have to pay for the frostweed you lose 340 gold.

So that building is giving you only 460 gold a week and puts extra effort into having to make the items rather than being given the gold directly.

In order to get about 15k gold a week assuming you have both profession 700 and a building with a follower you would need about 16 characters doing this.

Yes you might say that you obtain the materials from trading post, but those materials arent worthless, so you have to consider their value too. Even if your ah has all of these mats on 1 gold each or even less, you would still need about 12 characters doing this weekly to achieve 15k gold.

The only professions that are worth it atm (or at least the ones I found worth it) is jewelcrafting & tailoring. Both building and profession gives something valueable that can be sold for a decent profit (75 gems & bags). Rest of them seems like that they are making money, but the real truth is that you spend a lot to make a small amount of money from them.

Im not saying that you will be making a lot more from selling bags or gems, but spam making one item for hours for a small boost of gold that isnt dependant on the markets demand/supply means you will always get the same amount of money. Sometimes bags can sell for 1,1k on my realm, sometimes they are down to 800 gold but considering it cost about 325 gold to make one bag, you are still making more money off tailoring than alchemy will ever give you.
    Last edited by Khelon; 2016-01-07 at 02:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Khelon View Post
    You make it sound like this amount is actually big but the real truth is that you have many characters doing this.

Daily cooldown rewards 20 (when 700 level) & you need 20 frostweed and about 10 red ores. This price depend on each realm, but lets just say about 34 gold (1.7 gold per math). 1 Daily cooldown lets you make 4 of these 25 gold items, so you make about 66 gold per day on each character, which is not worth a whole profession.

Then have a look at the building. 5 Frostweed per work order, and each work order gives 4 assuming you give up a follower for the building. In about 1 week you obtain around 40 work orders done assuming you keep them running at all times. This will give you 160 alchemical catalysts. This will cost you 1,7 gold per frostweed and you need about 200 of them, so you pay 340 gold to make this work order happen. 160 alchemical catalysts means you can make 32 of those 25 gold items. This rewards you about 800 gold, but since you have to pay for the frostweed you lose 340 gold.

So that building is giving you only 460 gold a week and puts extra effort into having to make the items rather than being given the gold directly.

In order to get about 15k gold a week assuming you have both profession 700 and a building with a follower you would need about 16 characters doing this.

Yes you might say that you obtain the materials from trading post, but those materials arent worthless, so you have to consider their value too. Even if your ah has all of these mats on 1 gold each or even less, you would still need about 12 characters doing this weekly to achieve 15k gold.

The only professions that are worth it atm (or at least the ones I found worth it) is jewelcrafting & tailoring. Both building and profession gives something valueable that can be sold for a decent profit (75 gems & bags). Rest of them seems like that they are making money, but the real truth is that you spend a lot to make a small amount of money from them.

Im not saying that you will be making a lot more from selling bags or gems, but spam making one item for hours for a small boost of gold that isnt dependant on the markets demand/supply means you will always get the same amount of money. Sometimes bags can sell for 1,1k on my realm, sometimes they are down to 800 gold but considering it cost about 325 gold to make one bag, you are still making more money off tailoring than alchemy will ever give you.
    After running the #'s today, I get about 262g/day via tailoring and 142g/day via alchemy (not counting sorcerous procs). Math will differ depending on costs of mats and what you can sell bags for. But I get 900g for a bag and 5g for the catalysts.

But all this is really academic considering you can earn much more per day with via treasure hunters (even more if a level 3 Inn), barn or shipyard. The barn still earns 706g/day and has synergy with maximizing resources for barn rush order, albeit it takes about 10 min/week to farm mats.

Folks report that the real G is made playing the AH for selling armor/weapon upgrades.
    Last edited by Fankoo; 2016-01-07 at 01:51 PM.

uhm......blacksmiths can make weapons that sell really well and quick. depending on the sever its 40k-50k usually upgraded to tier6(705). The barn really helps creating bloods as well as primals via trader. i swimm in bloods and similar resources.

whats limiting is fel blight, but if you have many characters you simply do Kazzak each a week. it gives a lot of fel blight. In the end i did not buy anything and get those on avg 45k weapons out, usually each week or 2. Depens on the focus, gathering fel blight faster.

Same can be said about staffs and trinkets of the scribe.

People are really mad if they think inscription is bad. Actually its one of the best profession to make gold and you do not do it with glyphs.

Even the old shoulder enchantments still sell well. for about 700-1000+ gold next to the weapons and trinkets that sell for 40k-50k. Of course EU Servers no idea about the US server market.

so if you want to gather gold without a lot of stress and putting numerial items into the ah, try inscription or blacksmithing. The other professions look much less appealing, when making gold, well with the exception of enchanting of course.everyone still needs enchants and it sells always good enough, supply is no problem either, due to he garrision i swimm in enchanter mats.

Other than that i found little use for tailoring and leatherworking. 30/36 Bags aren't that expensive everyone can buy it from the AH. They got no trinkets or weapons, where is the point of it? At least there is some good synergy with tailoring/enchanting as you can make easy mats, however a trade post can give those too.

But there is the point in skinning/leatherworking?

Deleted
    I find making lower level items for transmog makes a reasonable amount. The cool hats you can make with leatherworking seem very popular on my server.

Although if I'm honest I only took leatherworking because I wanted the cute wolf mount.

10+ Year Old Account

Ah, that's interesting. Thanks for that. The past few months I've been lazily just throwing GR into dust for enchanting mats because its easy and makes money but I'll have to look at this instead.

For the effort required if you can stomach churning out the numbers making Glyphs is a very tidy profit. It costs pittance in comparison to the value of the most popular class glyphs.
    If you can grab the market you will make substantially more than other professions simply because it requires no daily Q/work order to get the mats

I agree that glyphs are where the big money margins are at, but it really depends on your server if you can even think about doing that. Most servers have one or more people trying to control glyphs.

Quote Originally Posted by Khelon View Post

I have 15 characters running alchemy huts. And it is about 30 minutes of effort logging in/out to refresh work orders every week. I don't count the crafting time for the 25g vendor item since I'm just sitting in stormshield anyway. So I think 15k gold is a nice return. And frostweed (and other herbs in general) are 1g apiece on my realm on a bad day. So it's definitely worth it imo. But to your other point about other professions. You can definitely make big ticket items and sell them for those insane profits, i just prefer the alchemy method since stuff is BoE and i can just ship it all to 1 character and /afk. I never have to worry about the AH. But its not like I ignore the other professions. I run 3 profession buildings in my garrisons. I found that alchemy lab gives me more gold than salvage yard. And again, the only reason I go with alchemy labs are because the materials are BoE and i feel the return is higher and less annoying than salvage yard RNG, i dont like wasting bag space with all the crates.

I have 15 characters running alchemy huts. And it is about 30 minutes of effort logging in/out to refresh work orders every week. I don't count the crafting time for the 25g vendor item since I'm just sitting in stormshield anyway. So I think 15k gold is a nice return. And frostweed (and other herbs in general) are 1g apiece on my realm on a bad day. So it's definitely worth it imo. But to your other point about other professions. You can definitely make big ticket items and sell them for those insane profits, i just prefer the alchemy method since stuff is BoE and i can just ship it all to 1 character and /afk. I never have to worry about the AH. But its not like I ignore the other professions. I run 3 profession buildings in my garrisons. I found that alchemy lab gives me more gold than salvage yard. And again, the only reason I go with alchemy labs are because the materials are BoE and i feel the return is higher and less annoying than salvage yard RNG, i dont like wasting bag space with all the crates.
    The way to go if you're lazy is (I'm pretty sure) still tailoring / jewelcrafting / salvage yard. Green salvage crates routinely give 30g+ with of vendor shit / trade goods / AH stuff in them each, and even the little crappy bag sometimes give 20g+ of trade goods. Definitely better than alchemy labs as each char generates several of these every day.

I can see the argument that alch labs are decent income for almost zero effort, but it's not really good income compared to the alternatives that are still very little effort.

I make about 100k/week with just 4 characters that have tailor/jc/salvage yard/tavern/trade post, spamming as many missions as I can, and 4 characters with random trade buildings+salvage yard/trade post/tavern, with everybody turning all their garrison resources into draenic dust for the AH. Though that is supplemented by some 10k-15k from running LFR (gotta get them rings on those alts) when there are bags available, doing LFD when there's a bag a available, etc.

So I'd say 15k/week with 15 characters is extremely low. You could easily generate some 400-500k a week with that many chars running tailor / JC / salvage yard / tavern / trade post, though at that point you have so many chars doing the same thing that it'd probably take you half an hour a day just to log through them all and have them go through their motions, nevermind the time spent opening all those fucking boxes. My god, those boxes. I have chars with hundreds of them just sitting around because I haven't been bothered to open them yet... I wish they made them BoE so I could just AH them. So I can definitely see how doing that would just be too big a time investment to generate gold you at that pint won't even care about anymore.
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

I have three tailors, two of them are more passive, making and selling bags as the mats generate, my third one is also an enchanter so with a little effort he also makes the embersilk bags which sell well. For me it's a decent return for a little farming.

Quote Originally Posted by Simulacrum View Post
    The way to go if you're lazy is (I'm pretty sure) still tailoring / jewelcrafting / salvage yard. Green salvage crates routinely give 30g+ with of vendor shit / trade goods / AH stuff in them each, and even the little crappy bag sometimes give 20g+ of trade goods. Definitely better than alchemy labs as each char generates several of these every day.

I can see the argument that alch labs are decent income for almost zero effort, but it's not really good income compared to the alternatives that are still very little effort.

I make about 100k/week with just 4 characters that have tailor/jc/salvage yard/tavern/trade post, spamming as many missions as I can, and 4 characters with random trade buildings+salvage yard/trade post/tavern, with everybody turning all their garrison resources into draenic dust for the AH. Though that is supplemented by some 10k-15k from running LFR (gotta get them rings on those alts) when there are bags available, doing LFD when there's a bag a available, etc.

So I'd say 15k/week with 15 characters is extremely low. You could easily generate some 400-500k a week with that many chars running tailor / JC / salvage yard / tavern / trade post, though at that point you have so many chars doing the same thing that it'd probably take you half an hour a day just to log through them all and have them go through their motions, nevermind the time spent opening all those fucking boxes. My god, those boxes. I have chars with hundreds of them just sitting around because I haven't been bothered to open them yet... I wish they made them BoE so I could just AH them. So I can definitely see how doing that would just be too big a time investment to generate gold you at that pint won't even care about anymore.
    As I said, I do all the alchemy stuff PLUS my normal profession buildings on every character. I'm pulling in the same range as you, hundreds of thousands a week. The only reason i do alchemy labs is because of salvage yard. I can't do salvage yard anymore. I can't open those boxes. They suck the life outta me. Even vendoring it all and spamming a loot macro, i just cant do it anymore.

As I said, I do all the alchemy stuff PLUS my normal profession buildings on every character. I'm pulling in the same range as you, hundreds of thousands a week. The only reason i do alchemy labs is because of salvage yard. I can't do salvage yard anymore. I can't open those boxes. They suck the life outta me. Even vendoring it all and spamming a loot macro, i just cant do it anymore.
    Well... I won't say I can't see your point, because I sure do. Those boxes haunt me too...
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

Everything took a big dive about 5-6 months ago, prof starter epics were 200-300g per, savage upgrades were dipping to 900g and less.

I went super casual, logging on a few times a week for missions and whatever, banking mats.

Now the market is picking back up. I guess people just ran out of patience. Now epics are going for 1-2k+, upgrades 3k+. I'm guessing it's mostly the people who made a bunch at the start gearing alts who just don't wanna deal with the garrison anymore. At this point any time spent in game isn't actually playing, but gambling a few minutes a week hoping I get a good expansion where I can spend all this gold as a pay out.