Computer build opinions

So I currently own an old laptop (Some 5~7 years old, dual-core+ GeForce G105M or something) that was lent to me to replace my old Pentium IV desktop.

Looking for a mid-high-ish budget desktop that will last me for a while (at least 2 years, ideally 4+ years) - not exactly asking for it to still run games in ultra after 2 years, just that it *can* still run new games (even if on minimum) after 2~4 years.

Looking to buy it from a local store that will put it together and ship it for free, unfortunately not really very available on spending more, just looking for opinions overall:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600 3.3GHz (249,90€)
    MB: MSI H110M PRO-VH (65,01€)
    RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury DDR4-2133MHz 8GB (54,89€)
    SSD: Kingston HyperX Fury 120GB (59,90€)
    HDD: Western Digital Blue 1TB (59,00€)
    PSU: XFX TS 550W 80Plus Bronze (64,89€)
    Case: Cooler Master Silencio 352 (64,90€)

Total: 618,49€ (About 664,12 US$ at current rate)

Already have a monitor and pheripherals.
    Won't buy a GPU yet. 1~2 months later I'll buy one, probably a GeForce GTX 960 (possible I'll upgrade it later on if I feel the need). Will use the 6600's graphics until then (figure it will be significantly better than my laptop's GPU either way, think I'll survive for a while with it).
    And when/if I feel the need for it, I'll get another 8GB RAM stick.
    Will probably get a TP-Link Wireless N 150Mbps PCI-e card (14,90€) for internet connection for now. Will look into PowerLine later - I'm not too sure if it will work properly since I'm currently in a pretty old house with some DYI electrical wiring + it's technically 2 old houses merged together and the router is on the other one.

Thought of going for a i5-6600k, but since I don't really intend to overclock it I don't believe the price difference is worth it. i7s are too expensive for me atm.

Main purpose/most demanding activity will be gaming for sure.
    Last edited by Kolvarg; 2016-01-06 at 11:51 AM.

Hi, for your budget I think it's ok got only two thoughts: running 2x4gb RAM would be better than 1x8gb for dual channel feature, although it would depend on what games or other things you will play as well as when you will be adding that other 1x8 stick.
    just wanted to give you a fast feedback

I thought about it, but figured it would be more worth it a 1x8 for now since I can just buy another 1x8 pretty cheaply, while if I got 2x4 even if I went to 1x4 + 1x8 the other x4 would still "go to waste" =P

Games-wise it's mostly WoW and some HotS, but as time allows I get into other stuff like TES games, Witcher 3, Fallout 4 or MGS:V, and looking forward to trying new ones as they come out.

But yea if it makes a noticeable difference I can probably order another 8GB stick along with the GPU when I buy it.

Thanks for the feedback ^^
    Last edited by Kolvarg; 2016-01-06 at 12:22 PM.

I would suggest getting a Samsung or Crucial 240 GB SSD iso the 120GB one which is really small and the price difference should not be that big. As for the ram, it is mostly a non issue for gaming 1 stick will do just fine.

Depending on how using the internal GPU works out for you I would suggest if possible to wait for the new Pascal GPU's from Nvidia (q1-q2 of 2016 release) as they should be heaps better then current ones and last much longer as a result.

The one thing I will add is that getting an unlocked CPU is not that much more expensive and may make your PC last longer even if you don't overclock now, you would need a different motherboard though. But I can understand that if you are on a tight budget you want to avoid the extra cost.

10+ Year Old Account
    About the SSD, simply go with a 850 EVO or MX200. This or don't buy any at all for now.

Performance difference between 1x8 and 2x4 is meaningless, you made the right call here.

And instead of buying a 960 down the road I'd wait until the next batch of graphics cards from both companies, they seem incredibly promising. And AMD already has working engineering samples.

Will look into the SSDs

Ah right I've read something about the Pascal technology. Any idea yet if they'll be compatible with current motherboards? (pci-e)
    And if so, will there be any low budget models at first (say, under 300€)?

If not, I figure the 6600 should last me for quite a while for gaming, so I might even just get something cheaper for now (like a 950 or so) to use before the Pascal GPUs get a bit cheaper. - Edit: Scrap that, just noticed the cost difference between a 950 and a 960 is meaningless =P

Thanks for the feedback!
    Last edited by Kolvarg; 2016-01-06 at 04:28 PM.

I'm very interested in this subject as I plan to update my system soon and my budget is very similar to yours. And so about new pascal gpu there's not much official info for their release, they say it will be a solid step further (both tech and therefore performance) compared to current gear but that lead me to think that there will be no cheap options however that could mean current gen will decrease on price.

Maybe someone here who remembers the last nvidia generation jump might be able to give a bit more insight in what kind of prices one might expect =P If we're lucky though, it *might* be not too far from their usual model variety. Like x50, x60, x70, x80 & x90 versions with the x60 being maybe 50~100€ more than GTX 960?

Maybe that's wishful thinking =P But yea, it defenitely can mean a price decrease on the current gen at least, but would be very neat to get my hands on the new ones, looks like it'll be a pretty big jump not only in power but also in efficiency (from what I've read they'll be much more power efficient, which should mean less money required on the PSU and also less electricity spent and less heat generated).

I mean, some sites are claiming 10x performance over the current gen, even a low-end model like x50 will possibly be as powerful or more than a 970 or even 980, and still need less power and cooling.

I suppose it will also depend on what AMD comes out with, they're also bringing a new generation to the table right?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kolvarg View Post
    Ah right I've read something about the Pascal technology. Any idea yet if they'll be compatible with current motherboards? (pci-e)
    And if so, will there be any low budget models at first (say, under 300€)?
    This looks like bugdet model for me

yeah new AMD called Polaris and they really stress the "performance per watt" philosophy step which is always nice, but so far I can only read words :P
    looks like AMD will release it middle of this year, who knows about Nvidia... but if pascal comes out earlier they could play on the price for more cash

edit: lol I was just looking at that video

- - - Updated - - -

we don't know when new gpu will be for pcs yet but they sponsoring them for auto-driving cars
    Last edited by Illydan88; 2016-01-07 at 12:50 AM. Reason: comment

Just wanted to say already got it and it's awesome <3

Think close to the best one can get at this price range. Even with just the on-board graphics you can play a lot of stuff.

But think I'll get a GTX960 soon =P Don't want to wait till June or later for the Pascal ones.

Brilliant gratz! Cool to know the integrated gpu can do something.
    Anyway I'll wait more