Thread: couponing

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yes! To anyone who is having financial problems on here USE COUPONS! I find people focus to much on food coupons and most end up to be for junk food. Focus on toiletries if you are new to couponing Also, most Asian markets have coupons/sales for produce/meat as well. The money you save does add up and during my college days have saved my ass many times.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    I've never gone out of my way to find or use them... But if I saw a coupon for like buy one get one free of my favorite snack or something I would probably use it.
    I usually can't even be bothered to do that. Like, even if I see a coupon for something I am going to buy anyway, I rarely even think of taking it with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    I find it difficult to believe these people don't require things while they are collecting all of these coupons.

I feel like they are just saving up all their coupon offers and using them all up at once and end up saving no more in the long run than a "non extreme" couponer would spread out over a longer period of time.

It's all purely psychological and showing off.

Because if it was possible to get 300 dollars worth of groceries for 12 cents consistently we would all be doing it and manufacturers would never make any money.
    These grocery purchases are not an everyday thing. The thing they dont tell you in these shows is that to get these savings you have to combine coupons with sales. So you have to always watch for items that come on sale and pair them with coupons (if you have them). So for example, you combine your buy 1 get one free on Lucky Charms sale with a coupon for $2 off a box and now you have two boxes of Lucky Charms for $2. Not as extreme as the show, but it shows on a small scale the thinking involved in order to get $300 in groceries for a few bucks.

The big thing is you buy what is on sale with coupons. So if you want Coco Puffs but it isnt on sale, you dont buy it, even though you have a coupon for it.

Coupons can be pretty useful. I bought a sweatshirt yesterday for 1/3 of its price thanks to them. And I'll use the shit out of razor blade coupons. F gillette

10+ Year Old Account
    Paper coupons? Never. Hate the very concept of it.

But I do occasionally partake of a Groupon or a Living Social coupon.

This weekend I used a Living Social coupon for a 3 course dinner for 2, including a 16 ounce Ribeye Steak, or a Filet Mingon, or Lobster Ravioli, and Creme Brulee and a salad, plus a dinner murder mystery theater, all for $70. $35 each.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    Do you coupon? What do you think about the extreme couponers on tv? It's insane how much they get for free.
    No, it isn't really that much a thing here. Maybe you get one of those once a month. I find it weird that it is like so, find it weird that people schedule their life on them. I don't think the idea of having them is that good for the social structure.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Brewmaster
    7+ Year Old Account
    I sometimes use digital coupons to avoid clogging the lines. Love the savings

When I do use paper coupons I shop early to avoid clogging the lines as well.

I heard from cashiers on the internet, people who use coupons are scumbags

I only use them for fast food places sometimes. Pay 1 BigMac get 2 is a good deal imho.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wish I had the patience and attention to detail these people have that extreme coupon. It's crazy how much they save! I don't have anything against it and honestly applaud them for it. There is nothing wrong with saving money especially when it comes to providing for your family, whether it is just yourself or others.

I know a guy that was big into coupons, he would buy like 15 gallon things or whatever of tide for 10 bucks. However his house was borderline hoarder. Instead of junk it was filled with tons of stuff like that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not quite the same thing, but my wife does a lot of contests/review groups and we get an absolute FUCKTON of things in the mail for free or at extremely reduced cost. Hell, in the last year we've won over 2 grand in cash from the contests by themselves.
    She has 178 amazon orders in the last 6 months alone, not counting all the stuff we get from USPS :P
    She actually wrote up a short "how to" guide because so many people ask her how the hell she gets all the stuff. If anyone is interested, let me know and I'll post it or send it to you in a DM.
    But you tend to get what you put into it. Only log on those sites and do the contests and whatnot occasionally? Probably won't win much.
    Do them for around an hour or so a night like the wife does? WIN CITY BABY
    Last edited by Phookah; 2016-01-20 at 02:04 AM.

I tried watching the show a few times, just to figure out how it worked. They ended up getting double and triple the value for some coupons and there were combos or something? And then they walked out with ~$900 worth of stuff for like $30. It sounds great in theory, but I'm not sure how it'd work in practice, and the whole store would hate you.

The idea that people who do it donate a lot of the stuff is pretty cool. I guess it might be a fun project to do with friends as a one time thing, usually between a group of friends someone in the group could use most of the stuff purchased, and you could donate the rest. As a regular thing done by yourself it'd be pretty tiresome though.

As far as non-extreme couponing, my roommate and I occasionally use flyer coupons for food, (Pizza, etc.) but that's about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Dude, ever been to CostCo and walk out with less than 200$ of shit?

It's like "Alright, I need a 4 pack of peanut butter" and then time passes and you come out with a full basket.
    I never walk into CostCo unless I'm stocking up on things. So.... I don't know?

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

I coupon like a motherfucker.

Never give up. Never give up.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudkobing View Post
    I coupon like a motherfucker.

Never give up. Never give up.
    If you spend 10 minutes to save a dollar, you're paying yourself less than minimum wage.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Pandaren Monk
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    Do you coupon? What do you think about the extreme couponers on tv? It's insane how much they get for free.
    My sister is a part time extreme couponer and regularly gets stuff for free or damn near free. When I go visit her in VA she usually hands be a large box of goodies probably costing 100's at retail but she got for maybe $30 tops. Stuff lasts me for 1-2 years.

I think a part of this is a mixture of necessity and/or fun.

I think the only time I was able to pull this off successfully was when I got 12 boxes of cereal for a total of $.22. The checkout lady had to recheck it 3 times before feeling comfortable letting me go with them.

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    If you spend 10 minutes to save a dollar, you're paying yourself less than minimum wage.
    The problem is I think a lot of people are looking at it from a practicality perspective, and extreme couponing isn't a practical endeavor. I would wager for most of the extreme crowd it's less to do with buying stuff you need efficiently and cheaply, and more to do with partaking in an activity you enjoy. It's a hobby for these people. They do it not because they want 15 boxes of a cereal no one in their family enjoys, but because they like the challenge of making $50 of that cereal they don't enjoy only cost $3. It's a challenge and the reward is the discounts for the sake of discounts.
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

Pandaren Monk
    7+ Year Old Account
    Hey, I actually liked those cereal's I bought!

Quote Originally Posted by ezgeze View Post
    Hey, I actually liked those cereal's I bought!
    Did you really or are you just lying to yourself so you can justify buying 15 boxes of them at one go?
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

Pandaren Monk
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by poser765 View Post
    Did you really or are you just lying to yourself so you can justify buying 15 boxes of them at one go?
    They were General Mills brand so I could mix and match all their good cereals.

Generally I don't coupon like that, it was just a coincidence. I do however stock up on things and buy in bulk all the time so it wasn't out of the ordinary for me to buy that many items of one product to use later. Normally I buy shampoo, soap, toothpaste, toilet paper, etc in bulk and not food but since I go through a box in a couple weeks, they went pretty quickly. The best $.22 I ever spent.