Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Why do people say inflation like a dirty word?

We need inflation for our economy to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post

Not even remotely true.

- - - Updated - - -

Fair enough.
    Trouble is you can't just say hey GDP is up more prosperity. A dollar had more buying power 50-60 years ago than it does today. You can't just look at it and say hey GDP is up and leave it at that. You have to look at more than just that as there are more factors involved.

Inflation is the big kicker.

Fun to play around with is this.

http://www.usinflationcalculator.com/

Look at Germany preWW2. You could say the per capta GDP was huge! But the inflation made it so that a few million Marks was only were a few pennies US. If you have a million bucks but can't buy a loaf of bread.. There's an issue.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xillin View Post

Because people aren't making more money commensurate with inflation.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Animalhouse View Post
    How can so many glance over the core message!

Lemme get this straight...the 545 who run our government are not to blame for it's mismanagement? The massive debt is not their fault?
    Really?! That is what I'm hearing.
    You imply mass mismanagement. For all our downfalls, we're still pretty solidly great. The massive debt isn't even an issue. What, of that debt is currently impacting you? We owe the debt mostly to ourselves, you know.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because this needed another thread
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    Because people aren't making more money commensurate with inflation.
    But that isn't the problem, the problem is taxes on those billionaires who keep making more and more money every year.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    Trouble is you can't just say hey GDP is up more prosperity. A dollar had more buying power 50-60 years ago than it does today.
    Try turning your head and reading the label for the vertical axis.

It's in 2005 dollars, meaning it's adjusted for inflation.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeones View Post
    So it's all the fault of the government and not the people who continue to elect them.

Congress has all time low approval ratings but people tend to feel their senator/representative person is good, unless they choose to vote in tea party monsters the last several years.
    I partially agree with you Xeones. The people vote by the manipulation they endure on a daily basis. The media is very biased as major news outlets are controlled by a few powerful conglomerates. Everyday people are bombarded by what to think by powerful corporation who back the politicians.

Anyone outside the status quo is doesn't have a chance.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Xillin View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1Idxps_qEk

My favorite video that covers privately owned central banks and their origins. This entire system subverts any democratic process.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4wU9ZnAKAw
    “We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.”

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    <Merged the other thread into this one>

We don't need two of basically the same thread, and they were small enough to merge together.

Trouble is you can't just say hey GDP is up more prosperity. A dollar had more buying power 50-60 years ago than it does today. You can't just look at it and say hey GDP is up and leave it at that. You have to look at more than just that as there are more factors involved.

Fun to play around with is this.

http://www.usinflationcalculator.com/

Look at Germany preWW2. You could say the per capta GDP was huge! But the inflation made it so that a few million Marks was only were a few pennies US. If you have a million bucks but can't buy a loaf of bread.. There's an issue.
    Inflation is already accounted for. The value of your money once the inflation is accounted for even increases, since you have better products than you used to.

The doctored version is so blatantly altered that it's a real facepalmer. Why someone wanted to take a relatively apolitical piece and inject what appear to be right wing talking points while passing it off as the original is beyond me. All that does is erode the original message, which the person that doctored it presumably agreed with because they bothered to "improve" it.

I will never understand the mentality of the partisan.

I partially agree with you Xeones. The people vote by the manipulation they endure on a daily basis. The media is very biased as major news outlets are controlled by a few powerful conglomerates. Everyday people are bombarded by what to think by powerful corporation who back the politicians.

Anyone outside the status quo is doesn't have a chance.

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1Idxps_qEk

My favorite video that covers privately owned central banks and their origins. This entire system subverts any democratic process.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4wU9ZnAKAw
    I'm not going to watch >3 hours of youtube, just spell it out. >.>

Inflation is necessary for economic growth, why do you think the ECB is doing everything it can to keep it ~2%? Deflation kills business, low inflation slows down the economy.

*sniffs*

Smells like Libertarians in this thread. Always sweetening the bullshit with a bit of truth.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyberowl View Post
    I'm not going to watch >3 hours of youtube, just spell it out. >.>

Inflation is necessary for economic growth, why do you think the ECB is doing everything it can to keep it ~2%? Deflation kills business, low inflation slows down the economy.
    Most people won't take the time. It's why problems persist.

The Money Masters is a fantastic documentary. It covers a significant part of history and puts well into perspective how we are basically in a system of monetary slavery. It is so "normal" to everyone that few take the time to think things could be better.

https://www.thevenusproject.com/en/

This is a group I can support. Clearly our consumer capitalism is not sustainable.
    Jacque Fresco is an incredible visionary and his ideas should be explored by future generations.
    If mankind were able to break the bonds of the monetary system humanity could accomplish so much more!
    “We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.”

Most people won't take the time. It's why problems persist.
    It's a gaming website, if you can't sum up a video into key points then you're probably doing something wrong.

10+ Year Old Account

I guess you missed that the graph you're contesting accounted for inflation. It valued everything in terms of 2005 dollars.

It's funny that when the value of the dollar goes up (when the Average Joe has more purchasing power), Wall Street stocks drop. 50-60 years ago, that wasn't the case.
    It's almost the same thing as when oil prices tumble. Even though that adds billions to the US Economy, Wall Street has shit fit.

10+ Year Old Account
    So, you think an overly opaque tax system is effective and intelligent over a flat tax?
    Very much so, yes.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

I don't understand why people with a voice openly blame "politicians" like they are some individual pulling the strings.
    This is how government is.
    Its been manipulative, controlling, and devoid of care for those it governs since it was first conceived.
    Allowing people to be elected to this position only worsens the trouble, but apparently the other option is too harsh for people?
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    The only reason the USA was "the most prosperous in the world", 100 years ago, was because Europe was in the middle of shelling the hell out of itself in the midst of WWI. Prior to WWI, the USA was still playing catchup, and largely boomed afterwards because it had 1> a large population, and 2> Enough distance from the fronts that their production wasn't ever negatively impacted, so they were the go-to folks to spearhead the rebuilding.

If you made it "120 years ago", the same argument would not hold true.

Worse, the USA is significantly more economically powerful today. Their total GDP is higher than anyone else's, and they're near the top of the lists in terms of GDP per capita as well. The USA, by most measures, the "most prosperous in the world"; this has not changed, and all the policies this guy is speaking against are largely why it has retained and strengthened that position.
    Those most prosperous years also laid the bed for the great depression.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."