Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    Deleted

Why exactly should Assad be removed? I don't get it.

I think it's a fair question, I'm not a pacifist or a leftist, I just wanna know why the US establishment insists on getting rid of Assad, especially with no real viable plan on what to do after.

1. As bad as Assad is, what's coming after him is far worse. At least Assad isn't a jihadist who wants the world living under Sharia law, he's a secular ba'athist. He's a tyrant, yes, but he keeps to himself and doesn't wanna exterminate the infidels or whatever. Religious minorities in Syria were fine when he had full control, now they're being exterminated, extorted or driven out by IS and other rebels.
    2. How exactly has Assad harmed, in any tangible way, US interests or threatened its security? He's allied with Iran... okay, so is Russia, they're also allied with several other insane countries, doesn't mean bombing Russia is a good idea.
    3. How has toppling ba'athist dictators worked out in other parts of the Muslim world? A fail of legendary proportion. You didn't get freedom, you got more Sharia and more terrorism.
    4. Let's be clear, there are no "moderate" (pro-secular pro-democracy) rebels. There are just different shades of Islamic supremacists who want Sharia law and want to kill or subjugate the infidels. We should not be helping them. Period. They're the exact same mentality that flew into the towers.

He killed more than 200.000 of his own people and is a tyrant. ISIS is just a bunch of extremists who "only" killed about 3000 civilians...

Btw. what's the problem about Sharia law when THE PEOPLE THERE want it? It might seem weird to others, but not everyone wants western "values".
    Also sharia law protects religious minorities and gives them enough rights, atleast for Christians and Jews...

Quote Originally Posted by manboiler View Post
    He killed more than 200.000 of his own people and is a tyrant. ISIS is just a bunch of extremists who "only" killed about 3000 civilians...

Btw. what's the problem about Sharia law when THE PEOPLE THERE want it? It might seem weird to others, but not everyone wants western "values".
    Also sharia law protects religious minorities and gives them enough rights, at least for Christians and Jews...
    Saddam murdered lots of people and committed genocide against the kurds, yet people argue we shouldn't have left him in power to keep the region stabilized. If people consider Genocide and Torture people as "stabilized" I can see why they don't care someone else killed lots of people.

10+ Year Old Account
    He's pro-Russian and anti-Israeli, whereas the Western powers are anti-Russian and pro-Israeli.

It's about political influence, nothing really exciting, nor anything noble, just politics.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because he is a dictator.

/thread
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

because he isn't a white male republican

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    Because he is a dictator.

/thread
    So are the leaders in a LOT of countries that we don't give a shit about though.

I think ideally all countries should be governed by someone the country chose whether that's a king, a president or something else. And Ideally none of them should get away with murder.. But actually trying to forcefully remove any of them has proven a gigantic clusterfuck of a plan.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Revi View Post
    So are the leaders in a LOT of countries that we don't give a shit about though.
    They should also be removed, in my opinion.
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.

15+ Year Old Account
    And repeat the success of Syria or Iraq all over the world?

10+ Year Old Account
    And we'll get around to them. As long as they are anti-Western, if they aren't then we won't.

7+ Year Old Account
    It is ok , the democracy will prosper in Syria as it did in Iraq and Libya . Dont question USA dessicions please .

Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    He's pro-Russian and anti-Israeli, whereas the Western powers are anti-Russian and pro-Israeli.

It's about political influence, nothing really exciting, nor anything noble, just politics.
    Agreed. Asaad just doesn't cater to the west's interests. That's all there is to it.

Deleted
    Because he's EVIL.

From a political standpoint and lessons learned from the past we should do our very best to keep him in charge (may even leave him those other collapsing states around him).
    The middle east is seemingly incapable of forming a democracy.
    Last edited by mmocdca0ffe102; 2016-01-08 at 02:00 PM.

Deleted

Also sharia law protects religious minorities and gives them enough rights, atleast for Christians and Jews...
    As I said, the problem is they're not going to keep Sharia for themselves, they're going to try to spread it worldwide. Assad however isn't going to export his ba'ahist tyranny.

And 200k? Really? That's like the total number of people who have died so far, we don't know how many were killed by Assad and how many by the rebels. This rebellion wouldn't even exist if the Obama administration hadn't encouraged them with a tolerant attitude towards the Muslim Brotherhood. They see that as western weakness and it empowers them.

Remember Egypt? Yeah he was against Mubarak, he was against Sisi (both more or less secular dictators), but he wasn't against the Muslim Brotherhood and even invited them to his speech in Cairo years before the Arab Spring.

Name even one terrorist attack on western soil planned by Assad. ZERO.

Attacks or attempted attacks by IS: too many to count

Sure, if you like following a bunch of oppressive rules, paying high tributes and being raped/killed if you fail to pay.

Dhimmitude isn't freedom.
    Last edited by mmoc8a3727531d; 2016-01-08 at 01:58 PM.

Because the west wants to bring its democracy over, just like they fucked up helped Libya.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderaan View Post
    I think it's a fair question, I'm not a pacifist or a leftist, I just wanna know why the US establishment insists on getting rid of Assad, especially with no real viable plan on what to do after.

1. As bad as Assad is, what's coming after him is far worse. At least Assad isn't a jihadist who wants the world living under Sharia law, he's a secular ba'athist. He's a tyrant, yes, but he keeps to himself and doesn't wanna exterminate the infidels or whatever. Religious minorities in Syria were fine when he had full control, now they're being exterminated, extorted or driven out by IS and other rebels.
    2. How exactly has Assad harmed, in any tangible way, US interests or threatened its security? He's allied with Iran... okay, so is Russia, they're also allied with several other insane countries, doesn't mean bombing Russia is a good idea.
    3. How has toppling ba'athist dictators worked out in other parts of the Muslim world? A fail of legendary proportion. You didn't get freedom, you got more Sharia and more terrorism.
    4. Let's be clear, there are no "moderate" (pro-secular pro-democracy) rebels. There are just different shades of Islamic supremacists who want Sharia law and want to kill or subjugate the infidels. We should not be helping them. Period. They're the exact same mentality that flew into the towers.
    Because he's lost power and the only thing keeping him there is the international community.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Revi View Post
    And repeat the success of Syria or Iraq all over the world?
    Not necessarily. Depends on the way it is done.

10+ Year Old Account
    not sure if you've noticed but anything anti-isreal in that part of the world is getting systematically removed. starting with the little fish like iraq, afganistan, syria and libya. these are also countries that surround or are in strategic locations to the biggest threat to isreal, iran, which i am assuming is the end goal.

Deleted
    The real reason is because he isn't friendly towards US/EU.

But you know, Dictators are BAD and if we get rid of him the rebels will form a democracy that embrace freedom and liberty becasue a bunch of them told us that they would if we sent some guns.

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

The truth is that everyone wants western values.