Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I always undercut and make my gold when I play the AH. And as someone said earlier "if you can't play for a couple hundred in gold margins you're selling the wrong thing".

Quote Originally Posted by wladimir89 View Post
    I don't farm i buy mats from ah and craft 705/15 gear.
    Not the way to do it. Don't complain when you do it wrong.

Undercutting is fine, as long as its by a very small amount like 1gold/silver/copper.

When someone undercuts your 5k auction by 2k, it fucks everyone trying to sell that items, because others then blindly undercut the undercutter, and the price is now half of what it should've been.

TLDR: this isn't a long post, just read it

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by barial View Post
    Undercutting is fine, as long as its by a very small amount like 1gold/silver/copper.

When someone undercuts your 5k auction by 2k, it fucks everyone trying to sell that items, because others then blindly undercut the undercutter, and the price is now half of what it should've been.

TLDR: this isn't a long post, just read it
    Why is that a problem? If the market value is 5k, and if they regularly sell for 5k, then buy up all those half-priced auctions and enjoy the free gold.

Using Auctionator, when it comes to mats I just chuck whatever I got if it's not a complete stack onto the AH at the lowest price to the next, if it's a complete stack I undercut the next complete stack.

They always sell.

When it comes to items, I hate undercutting like so many idiots by a few copper coins... instead I undercut in a few 10s to hundreds of gold, depending how much it's going for, and they always end up selling.

Example; Current item going for 9999g 99s 99c, I undercut that to 9850g.

I avoid competing with items in the AH that cost fuck all in terms of depositings... such as Glyphs, which cost like 12 coppers or whatever... so it costs people absolute NOTHING to cancel and reapply the them to the auction.

i.e. I make my money selling such items that people can't undercut prevalently unless they want to lose a lot of gold on deposits... You know, those items that cost like 10-50g to deposit for 48 hours.

On a side note, there are people that automatically undercut you... you can abuse this fact to undercut them to a point that wouldn't warrant them a profit, and buy it at that underpriced amount and then put those items back into the AH at your own set price for a much larger profit than they did off you.

Example; buying stacks of ores for 120g, throwing those ores back onto the AH for 400g.
    Last edited by Daedius; 2016-01-11 at 09:49 PM.

I'm sure OP is the kind of guy who gets so frustrated that his items don't sell that he makes huge undercuts to try sell them fast but just destroys the market in the process.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Heladys View Post
    You're winning the doing-it-wrong olympics.
    made me giggle have an internets

You know these guys that sit all day in front of ah and if you try to sell a item that they sell aswel,then gl because he will instant undercutt you.

This guy have like 60-70 crafted items 6/6 in ah and sit all day to ensure he has the best price.

I find it unfair,everyone want to make some gold,not just the gredy guy.
    M8. It's not my fault you try to butt in on my market. I will make it a living hell for you to get it sold so you don't get the stupid idea to ever try that again.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wilderness View Post
    Why is that a problem? If the market value is 5k, and if they regularly sell for 5k, then buy up all those half-priced auctions and enjoy the free gold.
    This is what i've done a lot lately. Buy the super cheap. Let somebody buy the medium cheap and then sell expensive. Gives a 2-5k profit for the most part for very little work. Except for the undercutting of people like OP :<
    Everyone has so much to say
    They talk talk talk their lives away

Deleted
    I didn't auction much, but I remember I loved undercutting to a point I received hate messages and even got a few people a suspension. The glorious days...

Quote Originally Posted by Heladys View Post
    You're winning the doing-it-wrong olympics.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kantoro View Post
    Not the way to do it. Don't complain when you do it wrong.
    Are you serious? No sane trader would ever farm mats (unless they have some obscene profits (like some tbc stuff)). It's just a huge waste of time. Nothing is wrong with undercutting though. I undercut thousands of auctions daily.
    Last edited by Dnusha; 2016-01-12 at 02:31 AM.

Deleted
    Hurr durr people dear to set prices as they wish beyond the so-called market price.

Inb4 spoiling the market

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilderness View Post
    Sure you can buy them, but you gotta be prepared for the next idiot. But sure, if the difference is 2k to 5k, then just buy it and resell.

But for other "items" that has a high frequency of listers (who doesn't always know material value), it just sucks.
    Lets say "standard price = 1000", some muppet undercuts to 4x items @ 970g, then someone comes and lists another 6 items @920g each. Sure you can buy them (if you buy them and resell them at 1k each you will make a profit of 100g, oh wow...), but probably there will be another muppet who again undercuts big before all those are sold.

So it doesnt really work that well in WoD, when "everybody" get their items for "free", aka garrison. People don't realise that the material that they just used had a value, so they think it is free money. Alot of people that are selling enchants/crafts below mats value. Because they dont understand better.
    I have stopped to be surprised about how stupid people can be when they are selling crafted things. Most of them have no clue at all.

Most people are richer then before, but still the prices are cheaper then ever because of blizzards retardness about professions.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by BeerWolf View Post
    When it comes to items, I hate undercutting like so many idiots by a few copper coins... instead I undercut in a few 10s to hundreds of gold, depending how much it's going for, and they always end up selling.

Example; Current item going for 9999g 99s 99c, I undercut that to 9850g..
    Haha, and you think that is why you sold it?
    Then you are a muppet, why you get a sale is because someone wanted the item. Do you really think it would make a difference just because you undercutted way to much. If you would have had the item listed at "lowbid -1c // 9999g 99 98c" it would still have sold as long as someone want/needs it...

Oh.. these wod muppets, and also all those "AH masters" who can't even configure their AH addons.
    Last edited by mmocd7919f6051; 2016-01-14 at 12:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post
    The real thing here is that if you're crafting items to sell on the AH then you're poor anyways. Time spent gathering materials and crafting things is time I could better spend flipping items for more profit on the AH.
    Yeah I mostly resell although lately bored as fuck of the game.

But buying valuable things for <25% of expected retail (preferably much less) and selling them for 50-100%+, you will make a lot of gold doing that, over time.

As far as undercutters go, I just ignore them. I have items that are rare enough that persistent undercutting only annoys the person doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kotan View Post
    Haha, and you think that is why you sold it?
    Then you are a muppet, why you get a sale is because someone wanted the item. Do you really think it would make a difference just because you undercutted way to much. If you would have had the item listed at "lowbid -1c // 9999g 99 98c" it would still have sold as long as someone want/needs it...
    This... :> and if everyone would undercut like that muppet item would be worthless very fast. If you undercut undercut for dunno half if you are selling some "transmogs" or pets that suppose to have value and you cant get rid of it for days/weeks... dont undercut for 100g-200g.

7+ Year Old Account
    Surprising to see most posters here have at least a basic understanding of economics. Kudos.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kotan View Post
    Sure you can buy them, but you gotta be prepared for the next idiot. But sure, if the difference is 2k to 5k, then just buy it and resell.

But for other "items" that has a high frequency of listers (who doesn't always know material value), it just sucks.
    Lets say "standard price = 1000", some muppet undercuts to 4x items @ 970g, then someone comes and lists another 6 items @920g each. Sure you can buy them (if you buy them and resell them at 1k each you will make a profit of 100g, oh wow...), but probably there will be another muppet who again undercuts big before all those are sold.

So it doesnt really work that well in WoD, when "everybody" get their items for "free", aka garrison. People don't realise that the material that they just used had a value, so they think it is free money. Alot of people that are selling enchants/crafts below mats value. Because they dont understand better.
    I have stopped to be surprised about how stupid people can be when they are selling crafted things. Most of them have no clue at all.
    It still works though. IF the value is 1k gold, and they regularly sell for that much with that kind of demand then you can either a) buy those other auctions and make a small profit or b) list yours at 1k gold since they cheaper ones will get sold and then yours will as well.

If there are always people undercutting you, and your 1k auction never gets to sell, then the value is not 1k as you think.

Deleted
    You know these guys that sit all day in front of ah and if you try to sell a item that they sell aswel,then gl because he will instant undercutt you.

This guy have like 60-70 crafted items 6/6 in ah and sit all day to ensure he has the best price.

I find it unfair,everyone want to make some gold,not just the gredy guy.
    I dont find it unfair, that is how AH works.
    Ofc who spends more time at AH has more advantages..
    Last edited by mmoc54843516f6; 2016-01-14 at 04:17 PM.

I used to think my server just had a really healthy economy. People were always buying, selling, and undercutting. I could post a ton of crafting materials and have them bought out within minutes.

Then I changed to an even higher pop realm and just realized my realm is full of AH botters because my auctions no longer get instantly bought out.

its annoying but not that big of a deal. it is a game. with fake money btw. just saying

Quote Originally Posted by Dnusha View Post
    Are you serious? No sane trader would ever farm mats (unless they have some obscene profits (like some tbc stuff)). It's just a huge waste of time. Nothing is wrong with undercutting though. I undercut thousands of auctions daily.
    I am insane. Insanely rich. Because my profit is 100%, yours is a pittance of the difference between what you spend and what you make.

But to each his/her own. I regularly farm mats, but I make a crapton of gold as well, I would be capped, but I actually spend the gold on things I like to have.