Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    Deleted

I actually hope VR Gaming DOESN'T become mainstream

My reasoning is that if VR gaming becomes mainstream it's going to really affect disabled gamers negatively. Possibly a selfish reason but I personally feel VR would alienate millions of gamers

Deleted
    how is it going to negatively affect disabled gamers? (not that that would ever be a valid reason..)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    how is it going to negatively affect disabled gamers? (not that that would ever be a valid reason..)
    Because a number of VR technology is moving towards human movement as the controller e.g. physically walking, jumping etc

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Because a number of VR technology is moving towards human movement as the controller e.g. physically walking, jumping etc
    honestly I'd hate that too, I don't wanna jump around in my room just to play a game lmao

I usually play games when I'm tired or at night..

I hated the Wii because I always had to wave my hands or some other bullshit, I doubt that kind of gaming is really popular tbh so I think you got nothing to fear

if it is popular, then tough luck I guess, I'm not gonna like it either but oh well
    Last edited by mmocb78b025c1c; 2016-01-08 at 09:11 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    I don't think that's ever going to be the norm. It'll probably settle on mainly games that you can do sitting down, because that's what people like.. Maybe some neck movement.

That will never become the norm, I can guarantee that. If you look at the Wii, it was great for partys but beyond that people foudn the simplest ways to do any game with as little movement as possible. If people wanted to run aroudn and do stuff then they'd go out and run around and do stuff.
    BASIC CAMPFIRE for WARCHIEF UK Prime Minister!

Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    honestly I'd hate that too, I don't wanna jump around in my room just to play a game lmao

I usually play games when I'm tired or at night..

I hated the Wii because I always had to wave my hands or some other bullshit, I doubt that kind of gaming is really popular tbh so I think you got nothing to fear

if it is popular, then tough luck I guess, I'm not gonna like it either but oh well
    That's exactly the reason why it won't be mainstream. Most people feel the same way. VR gaming will likely be used to enhance existing games (racing, cockpit games like Hawken) and/or create entirely new genres which will be able to fully utilize the technology. Games that will require you to move will likely be very niche.

7+ Year Old Account
    Not really interested in VR tech. I like having a monitor. Don't have to worry about stumbling around for my drink.

i hear what you are saying and I would think that games developed to use VR will also be able to utilize more traditional control methods, don't worry.

NOW that said, as someone who is not disabled, my wife would absolutely love it if i spent my gaming time running in a sphere and moving around. then she cant complain i dont get enough exercise and i need to walk more after work and not just weekends. That's something i would support that instead of running outside or working out in a gym, if that can be part of a legit non fitness game where i'm actually moving around a world, I would support that.

for right now all i have is this analog "real life" hiking thing (i still really going outside and hiking ha)

Quote Originally Posted by Twilight Cultist View Post
    That's exactly the reason why it won't be mainstream. Most people feel the same way. VR gaming will likely be used to enhance existing games (racing, cockpit games like Hawken) and/or create entirely new genres which will be able to fully utilize the technology. Games that will require you to move will likely be very niche.
    So like a real .Hack or SAO?

Being able to use your brain as a controller will become the mainstream within a decade of mainstream VR.
    It's already been scratched at but demand for it will skyrocket once lazy people have to move around.

I'd say VR is much more hyped than it has actual roots in preferences of majority - I'd even dare say great majority. Fear not.

Deleted
    Considering current motion-controls involve flailing spastically until something vaguely resembling your action happens on the screen, I think we're quite a long way from the majority of games being VR and accurately motion controlled.

Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    So like a real .Hack or SAO?
    They come out with a Nervgear level rig, then you will see this stuff explode. Especially in the poorer communities and dense urban areas.

You may live in a crap shack and too poor to get anything else. But in the virtual world, you can have a nice house, go rock climbing, swimming and all the other stuff you wish you could do but are too poor to. Throw in networking setups where you can go with your friends, you will effectively replace real life for many people. Especially those with physical injuries or disabilities as they could get a new lease on life in that world.

Also, why pay all that money for some huge nice bed when you can just sleep with the rig on and have any bed you wish, same with all the other real life stuff you used to do.

I expect you would see a huge portion on the populations moving into homes just big enough for 1 person to live in and come home just to jack in till they have to eat or go to work and such or even go as far as some communal setup to make it easier.

I would expect to see many die from not taking time to eat for days and their bodies atrophy to extremes. Would also expect to see some major abuses for that technology as you could effectively kidnap and torture people who have no means to escape when they can't move and would probably be named as some "Enhanced interrogation technique" by many government agencies and many prisons would probably use it for their prisoners.
    Since we can't call out Trolls and Bad Faith posters and the Ignore function doesn't actually ignore it. Add
    "mmo-champion.com##li.postbitignored"
    to your ublock or adblock filter to actually ignore ignored posters. Now just need a way to ignore responses to them as well.

Deleted
    TBF this thread came about from gaming future predictions

10+ Year Old Account
    Some of you seem to have difficulty differentiating from motion control and virtual reality, just saying.

OT I dont think you'll have to worry for it to become mainstream, the tech is still in early stages and there are only a few games really making optimal use of it. It's just like this fad of 3D movies in the cinema - personally I hate it [3D movies], it makes stuff more blurry, darker because of the glasses, and people with (slight) vision impairment cant see what the big deal is all about. The difference is, in my opinion, that 3D in movies doesn't enhance anything (not with current tech), but VR might.

Remember the movie Surrogates? If VR tech would become this advanced, it would actually be a plusside for people with handicaps. They could control robot bodies that can do what their own bodies cannot.

Eagerly waiting for either the Rift is in stores so I dont have to pay that exorbitant price for "taxes and shipping", but I bet that will take another year or two.

Don't worry. The Move and Kinect shit didn't catch on, Nintendo pretty much abandoned the Wii. It's a gimmick that will disappear. People want to sit in their couch, not spaz out in their living room. Disabled or not.

I think you have the lazy (me included) and the poor gamers on your side
    I just dont want to jump around my living room when playing. Lots of people just cant afford the technology and the space needed for stuff like that.
    And then there are all the people who get sick/headachey every time they put a VR set on.

So I wish VR all the best, but I am not that worried, that it will become the only way to play games anytime soon. There will probably be VR and normal versions of most games for the forseeable future. And it will only affect genres, where the technology fits, anyways.
    "And all those exclamation marks, you notice? Five?
    A sure sign of someone who wears his underpants on his head."

My reasoning is that if VR gaming becomes mainstream it's going to really affect disabled gamers negatively. Possibly a selfish reason but I personally feel VR would alienate millions of gamers
    Most likely a non immersive version/setting would become the standard, one where your character keeps shuffling on the spot when you look around.
    Otherwise yeah selfish - especially because I think you overstate how many disabled people there are. Biggest hassle for a long time will be motion sickness crowed, because of that alone you can probably stop shitting your pants for the foreseeable future. Actual movement will not become mainstream in any way either, so .. calm down?

I personally hope they never take a bullshit argument like this into consideration. Who cares about the disabled, let them do things meant for the disabled - this is meant for people that are not. Why would they hinder their own creativity and game design just because "boo, some people might not be able to play this game".