Picking an NA Server -- T1 or T2

Trying out the game after leaving pretty pretty early. At launch I was on TC. Looking at the scoreboard, TC is now T2. I am wondering if I should stay or more. I tend to think T1 would be heavy zerging and harder to find small man, which I appeals to me more--but that's just my guess. I don't want to stay on T2--if T2 at this point in the game means dead .

I'm not sure what glicko is, but I see a lot of discussion about it and TC.

At this point what server you are on and the whole Tier system only matters for WvW. For everything else server doesn't matter at all. Now if you like WvW, it's sort of a good news/bad news situation. They have a whole WvW overhaul coming soonTM which apparently is going be a massive change overall to it... but of course we know nothing about it aside from that so who knows :/ Currently WvW is pretty dead even if you are on one of the Tier 1 servers. I mean yea I can get into WvW and run around and do things, but it's not at all like it was before. Also, there won't be any WvW Tournaments until after the overhaul happens.

So I guess, if the main thing you want to do is WvW then yea I'd say you wanna be on a T1 server. Otherwise, it doesn't matter at all.

Oh and glicko is basically how the rankings are figured out. I think the math has been tweaked some since then, but this will still give a good basic understanding of it http://www.guildwars2guru.com/news/8...d-wvw-ratings/
    Last edited by Arlee; 2016-02-23 at 05:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    I was going to say that if you enjoy smaller, tactical engagements and even 1v1 encounters, that a lower tier server is a good choice. If you enjoy massive - sometimes very long - keep sieges and huge "Deathball" encounters, then a T1 server is a good choice.

But if the WvW population is as low as Arlee suggests, then those might not be valid points anymore.
    Yea, normally I'd agree with you... but I don't think it would work so well currently. Granted I am on Yak's Bend so I don't know directly how bad things are on the lower tier servers, just what I have heard from other people. On my server there's usually a big zerg going in Eternal Battlegrounds and I can usually havok around alone or with a couple of other people. The lower tier servers apparently don't every really have many people at all.

Well, that's the thing. I don't know if T2 is really "lower tier".

If I did want to change, should I just make a new account vs paying? I owned GW2 at launch, but I've heard the game is free now pre-HOT. Is there any reason not to do that? I have maybe 1 outfit, some mid 30s toons, and 20ish gold. I'm not sure what I'd be losing much.

Part 2--Any opinions on which T1 server?

Hmm... New account vs old account means you'd be losing any skins you have unlocked (you can check and see how many you have in the wardrobe), losing out on bonuses from character birthdays which are account bound best one so far is third for the free dyes you get to pick, on that note any dyes you've unlocked, have to relevel which can be a bit of a pain if you just want to get through it quickly to WvW (you can't level in WvW anymore because WvW has it's own separate leveling system to it now), you'd be starting at base magic find but you might already be there depending on when you left, lose any transmog charges you have, lose any minis you have unlocked... I think those are all the main things.

Oh, and as far as T1 server I don't think it matter which one too much. One thing I'll say though is Yak's Bend hasn't historically been very strong at WvW and once WvW picks-up again I'd guess it will go back to being a T2 server. But it might not >< There's just too much uncertainty atm to know for sure
    Last edited by Arlee; 2016-02-24 at 03:45 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yak bend's rise to popularity (and T1) over tarnished coast is because blackgate players swapping to YB
    Cod has a new campaign, new weapons, new multiplayer levels every year. Zelda has been recycling the same weapons, villains, and dungeons since the 80's. Zelda recycles enough to make cod blush. The same weapons, villains, dungeons, and princess in every single Zelda for the most part. It's almost as cheesy as bowser vs Mario round 35

Quote Originally Posted by barackopala View Post
    Yak bend's rise to popularity (and T1) over tarnished coast is because blackgate players swapping to YB
    What happened to Blackgate? Iirc, they were one of the best servers. I am on Jade Quarry, and they were one of our biggest rivals, not to mention they also got the world first Teq kill.

Quote Originally Posted by barackopala View Post
    Yes, but that's just how it is right now. Things won't stay like that forever. WvW players swapping servers isn't exactly unusual. Also, everything rides on what they do with the revamp so it's hard to speculate on how things might be in the future at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by 4KhazModan View Post
    What happened to Blackgate? Iirc, they were one of the best servers. I am on Jade Quarry, and they were one of our biggest rivals, not to mention they also got the world first Teq kill.
    probably some rivalry between guilds? all i know is that TC ppl stopped caring about it, at least the big filipino guild that used to play here isn't as dedicated as before.
    Cod has a new campaign, new weapons, new multiplayer levels every year. Zelda has been recycling the same weapons, villains, and dungeons since the 80's. Zelda recycles enough to make cod blush. The same weapons, villains, dungeons, and princess in every single Zelda for the most part. It's almost as cheesy as bowser vs Mario round 35