Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Final Fantasy 9 Coming to Steam

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/01/...am-in-the-west

So, finally!

Increased speed is good. FF9 is known for pretty drug-out combat, especially if you steal (and you should, if you want Zidane to be good)

No encounter option is always good. Learn from Bravely Default.

HD cut scenes are always good too, but it's not really a seller for me.

The Steam page claims "early 2016" as a release date. It's early enough! It also says "Seven game boosters" which might be a typo. Would pre-order if I could.

Kinda curious if they'll fix bugs, like the famous Thunder Slash bug, or bring back the game-breaking bug that allowed you to get Gold Choco before getting captured by Kuja.

Question is, will it have that weird annoying DRM that the steam versions of FF7/8 have? And can it compare to the emulated PS1 versions that can be played flawlessly with vastly improved visuals already?
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

Deleted
    Haven´t the steam versions of FF been totaly bad and buggy?

Are any of these improvements in the Vita version of FF9? I picked that up during a sale awhile ago, but haven't gotten around to replaying it. (No PS1 anymore to play my old discs)

:III

But...I have had not time to play trough all of the ones that already are in steam! ..... I should really continue with FF4 :C . I suppose this have to be bought too.

FF4 only takes like 15 hours to beat! Get cracking!

Deleted
    Nice! I have been wanting to replay FF9 for a while but Im too lazy to bring up my PS3 and I dont even have HDMI ports left for it anyway on my TV.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by stellvia View Post
    FF4 only takes like 15 hours to beat! Get cracking!
    Did you speedrun it? First time I played it took atleast 40h~ recently. Didnt look up tactics and did side quests.

Uhh no. I guess I was speaking to the original version, I have no idea how much additional content they injected into the game for the more recent releases. But yeah, original SNES version only took me 15 maybe 18 hours to beat back when I was a kid. No gamefaqs back then, and if there was a Nintendo Power guide for it, I never had it.

Spoony Bard Edition™ ftw

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by stellvia View Post
    Are any of these improvements in the Vita version of FF9? I picked that up during a sale awhile ago, but haven't gotten around to replaying it. (No PS1 anymore to play my old discs)
    Nope, that's the PS1 classic version, no improvements and same speed (aka horrible loading times) as on the PS1.

Still not FFX and X-2

but soon

SOON
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Quote Originally Posted by Cattleya View Post
    Nope, that's the PS1 classic version, no improvements and same speed (aka horrible loading times) as on the PS1.
    The loading times are non existent on the classic version, it's the drug out animations that make fights take forever, which make replays of this classic game annoying. Speed up for it is a god send.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    The loading times are non existent on the classic version, it's the drug out animations that make fights take forever, which make replays of this classic game annoying. Speed up for it is a god send.
    Eh, every video i find of the PSN classic version and my own experiences with the vita tell me it's around 15 seconds between the screen shifting to indicate a battle and the ATB meters finally showing up on the screen, I call that pretty bad loading times.

Eh, every video i find of the PSN classic version and my own experiences with the vita tell me it's around 15 seconds between the screen shifting to indicate a battle and the ATB meters finally showing up on the screen, I call that pretty bad loading times.
    That's not loading times, that is animation. Knowing the difference helps. There is literally 5-15s depending on enemy of animation work going on before the ATB bar appears, even though everything is loaded already.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    That's not loading times, that is animation. Knowing the difference helps. There is literally 5-15s depending on enemy of animation work going on before the ATB bar appears, even though everything is loaded already.
    I'd argue that the camera panning while characters/enemies load on the battle screen is just hiding the actual loading it's still doing, but honestly i'm not sure. But yeah, that's what I mean regardless, it's painful waiting around like that every single battle.

Deleted
    Yay! FF9 is easily the best one. After this I need FF10 and FF12 on PC.
    Last edited by mmoc4359933d3d; 2016-01-09 at 10:24 PM.

I'd argue that the camera panning while characters/enemies load on the battle screen is just hiding the actual loading it's still doing, but honestly i'm not sure. But yeah, that's what I mean regardless, it's painful waiting around like that every single battle.
    If you played the PS1 version you would know that is not the case. In the PS1 version you literally spent 20s at a black screen just listening to the battle music before the animation started. That was the loading. In the classic version, since it's installed to either a HDD(PS3) or high speed memory card(vita) those black screens are literally 1 second long.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2016-01-09 at 11:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pion View Post
    Haven´t the steam versions of FF been totaly bad and buggy?
    Uhm no. Only issue was they got released with their original crappy pc soundtracks in which 7 got patched with the ps1 and 8 still hasn't. Since FF9 didn't release on PC at all until now it'll have the original ps1 music.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    If you played the PS1 version you would know that is not the case. In the PS1 version you literally spent 20s at a black screen just listening to the battle music before the animation started. That was the loading. In the classic version, since it's installed to either a HDD(PS3) or high speed memory card(vita) those black screens are literally 1 second long.
    Fair enough, I haven't played the PS1 version in at least 10 years.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Uhm no. Only issue was they got released with their original crappy pc soundtracks in which 7 got patched with the ps1 and 8 still hasn't. Since FF9 didn't release on PC at all until now it'll have the original ps1 music.
    Which is good, it's the best soundtrack ever.

Very excited for this one. I'd say 9 comes after FF4/FF6 for me and has been a very fun game every time I play.