What do you think will be the next big genre?

We're all on a video game forum. We've seen a lot of what the industry has to offer and what's coming down the pipe - what do you see around the corner that will get big soon? For me it has to do with my initial experience with VR, but it can just be a traditional game. Sort of like how DOTA saw RTS games like WC3 and was like "hmm, wouldn't it be cool if you JUST controlled the hero unit"... and made the MOBA genre.

• Looking at what is around the corner with VR, I think we will have a 'Tower Defense' game of sorts. One of the negatives of VR is movement, so I can see like you are a Wizard guard at the gates of a castle or an Archer up on the walls and you stand still and just kills waves of enemies before they break in.

What are your predictions?

Games that mine the survival shooter and base building aspects from Fallout 4, Ark and Minecraft.

Scavenge/Build/Defend is a very trendy game system that pushes a lot of buttons for gamers at the moment; satisfying the exploration/open world systems gamers are used to with entrenchment systems that can be enjoyed alone or in multiplayer.

Deleted
    Many feel that their actions in games don't matter (that there is no difference if they are a part of the game or not).
    So I guess games that would change based on players actions and decisions. Minecraft and Second Life was good start.

Maybe that facebook VR MMO lol.
    Last edited by mmoc09d949bcd0; 2016-01-09 at 08:31 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Games that mine the survival shooter and base building aspects from Fallout 4, Ark and Minecraft.

Scavenge/Build/Defend is a very trendy game system that pushes a lot of buttons for gamers at the moment; satisfying the exploration/open world systems gamers are used to with entrenchment systems that can be enjoyed alone or in multiplayer.
    I want a strategy game that does these things.

Like traditional RTS with resource gathering and all that jazz... But I get to design my base, buildings, units, etc., not just the looks, but how they function and their stats and stuff... Like not just all tanks have X stats, make a tank that looks cool over the shell... But like actually part pick the build you want for units and structures for your faction.

I am surprised no one has done this yet.

I wish I could make games.

Someone make a game like this, plis.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorrxz View Post
    Maybe that facebook VR MMO lol.
    VR games would be sweet...

I've been playing a bit of Elite Dangerous on the side and imo the game isnt that great, but it has a VR mode. Then the word about the Occulus Rift hit the news and they had the trailer for Valkryie and it looked pretty neat. Then that got me to thinking it would be really badass if Disney remade or made a new space sim that was a continuation of the X-Wing and TIE Fighter series. I dont mean the crap like in the Infinity game or SW Battlefront 3 where its a third person view of you following the ship around. I mean an actual in cockpit only mode that is a hardcore (or semi-hardcore) space flight sim with all the -Wing rebel fighters and TIE fighters (and variants). And me thinking that all that stuff would be nice to see actually had nothing to do with all the TFA or SW:BF3 hype. An X-Wing/TIE Fighter game is something i had always wanted to see again ever since playing the originals back in the day.

Though come to think of it VR goggles would be mostly wasted in a TIE Fighter or Interceptor since the view is very limited to space, but it would be neat to look around the interior. But not having a good VR view would be offset by the cool sound that a TIE fighter makes. It would definately be cool for X-Wings or A-Wings though who have high visibility cockpits. Y-Wings and B-Wings too to a lesser extent.

Would love to see more games like Mount and Blade.

Hoping Kingdom Come: Deliverance, delves into the genre a lot more. I feel it has massive potential.

10+ Year Old Account
    Turn based Tactical RPG...

Please :'(

I would also be happy with a VR MMO, as long as it doesn't end up like SAO.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    I want a strategy game that does these things.

Like traditional RTS with resource gathering and all that jazz... But I get to design my base, buildings, units, etc., not just the looks, but how they function and their stats and stuff... Like not just all tanks have X stats, make a tank that looks cool over the shell... But like actually part pick the build you want for units and structures for your faction.

I am surprised no one has done this yet.

I wish I could make games.

Someone make a game like this, plis.
    The only RTS game I know of that you can really customize your own units was Warzone 2100. You chose which propulsion to use (wheels, half tracks, tracks, hover, or VTOL) then body type (basically your light, medium, and heavy with a few different lines that have more health or more speed) and the weapon or support turret. It's a pretty old game (1999) and I think it was the first fully 3d RTS game or at least one of the first, so the customization isn't super in depth but it's definitely more than I've seen in anything else.

I've always wanted a sequel to it. It's one of the most fun RTS games I've ever played and can still enjoy it even 17 years later.

What I want is kind of a combination of different RTS games put together and actually done well. system / galaxy spanning like Sins of a Solar Empire or Star Wars Empire at War, 3 dimensional space battles like Homeworld, and ground battles to take over planets either like Wargame where you have limited numbers and call in units/support off map, or more traditional like Star Craft or the first Dawn of War games where you land and build a base. Empire at War was probably the closest to come to this with space battles and ground battles, but you had very limited options for placing base structures and no options in space really, and the space battles worked on a 2D plane as well. It would probably be a bit too ambitious of a project to make though.

Not a prediction, only my wish: Boss Simulator

Basically, as the name says, a game that is only about beating harder and harder boss fights in instanced Solo, Group and/or Raid environments:

- several classes with unique gameplay and roles (no classic Tank/Heal/DPS trinity)
    - no character leveling in terms of questing, grinding, crafting, etc.
    - no random gear treadmill - once you beat a boss new skills/gear/cosmetics/whatever and the next boss are automatically unlocked
    - more skill-based, less/not gear-dependent
    - interactive action-combat system that requires different gameplay for each new boss (targeting, movement, combination of spells, interacting with objects, etc.)
    - complementary but unique ways to progress: Solo, Small Group (~3-6), Raid Group (~10-20)
    - all modes have different bosses and approaches how to beat the bosses. All modes grant unique, powerful and cool rewards. You could do only one or all three to have fun and progress. A more casual player could see and beat the easier bosses on all modes and/or just focus on harder solo/group bosses. A hardcore player could try to beat all of them.
    - boss fights could be really long (~20-60min) and/or split in several phases (each phase ~10-20min) but with some kind of checkpoints to avoid frustration of 49th minute wipes and to focus on progressing the boss
    - low entry, linear learning curve at first but highest level bosses would be insanely hard to beat (all modes)
    - something to avoid carry runs
    - ladder and ranking systems for all modes: highest level, speed rankings, First Kill - Hall of Fame...
    - challenges and achievements: beat bosses with less players in group/raid, nobody dying, solo group bosses, etc.
    - expansions would bring new classes, mechanics, rewards and of course new bosses with new settings (parallely to existing ones to not devalue old content)

Yeah, one can only dream...
    Last edited by chooi; 2016-01-10 at 06:11 AM.
    #MakeBlizzardGreatAgain

Hardcore Veganism
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Going by the amount of early access survival games then I have to say that also seems to be the direction for this year.

Another could be PVP MMOs (Crowfall/Camelot Unchained) but they are further off completion and not really sure how much interest there is (personally I am much more of a PvE'er).

Deleted
    Open World RPGs.

I came here to write this, thanks Fencers for putting in here for me so I don't have to!

Third-person RPGs. Moreso than already.

Dark Souls III and Mass Effect: Andromeda are coming.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

I doubt VR will be big anytime soon (if ever), and I hope the cycle will return back to MMOs before 2025 - thou I am pretty sure next big thing will be something else.

Sakura VR genre.

I seriously doubt it, because these types of games are very grindy by the very definition, and your typical beer league champion does not want to grind, he wants to play 30 minutes sitting on his coach, holding gamepad in his hands. This is a trend though, but it won't reach any moba level hights.

Me personally thinks we won't have any new big genres for years. Like, aeons have passed and we still watch 3d movies in cinemas; same thing will be in gaming. Assassins Creed 64, Doom 80, Half-life 45, bajillion of primitive mobas and even more primitive mmorpgs - that is the future of gaming, sadly.
    No more time wasted in WoW.. still reading this awesome forum, though

10+ Year Old Account
    There will be more blending and diversification between genres imo. I doubt VR is going to do much for gaming.

More waifu simulators.

witcher 3 was a step towards our glorious big titty filled future.

I have fond memories of playing "Hero Line Wars" in Warcraft 3 (custom maps). I'd like to see that become a genre of it's own.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance