10+ Year Old Account

audio setup question - electrical noise elimination

I have an audio setup question if anyone with knowledge can help please.

My setup is:
    DAC : Schiit Modi 2
    AMP : Schiit Magni 2 Uber
    Speakers : Studio Monitors
    Hum Destroyer : BEHRINGER MICROHD HD400

Connected like this...
    Computer > DAC > AMP > monitors

I have been getting horrible electrical noise on and off. I bought http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o01_s00 and hooked it up like this:

Computer > DAC > AMP > BEHRINGER MICROHD HD400 > Monitors

... and it seems to be working pretty good for now.

My Question is: Should I set up the BEHRINGER MICROHD HD400 in between my DAC and AMP instead or does it even matter?
    Like this:

Computer > DAC > BEHRINGER MICROHD HD400 > AMP > Monitors

Thanks for taking the time to read! =)

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not sure the BEHRINGER MICROHD HD400 would actually solve the problem, or be a good idea for best sound quality. Any noise you hear is between the DAC and AMP so I would definitely hook it between them, but if you hear noise then it's most likely the AMP doing it. It's picking up something and just amplifying it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah it's weird. I don't hear the noise when using headphones and only occasionally using the monitors. I have all my audio stuff plugged into a Furman power conditioner/surge protector and when I hear the noise i can move the surge protector to make it go away (like move the cables a little bit). I also have a light dimmer in this room and a few times increasing/decreasing the brightness of the lights will make the noise appear/disappear.

The BEHRINGER is working though.

[QUOTE=mojo6912;38291121] My Question is: Should I set up the BEHRINGER MICROHD HD400 in between my DAC and AMP instead or does it even matter? /QUOTE]
    Do you want to cure symptoms? Or fix a defect?

Noise is an electrical current. That means a loop. For example, a system may have three components. A connects to B; B connects to C; C connect to A. You placed a Behringer between A and B. Loop broken; noise stops. Does that mean the defect between A and B has been eliminated? Of course not. Behringer only temporarily broke the loop. Defect could still exist in C.

Use the Behringer as a tool to first identify what in that loop has a defect - what is creating noise.

Appreciate that conferences involving EMC/EMI/RFI noise experts have many bald heads. Maybe that is because EMC/EMI/RFI noise problems are so complex. Most layman only want to cure symptoms. So it does not matter where you place a Behringer - if it make you happy. However if you want to identify and then eliminate the defect, then plan on doing a lot of head scratching - keep that brain working. Every wire between everything - including connections between components via AC electric wires - must be considered as maybe part of that loop.

10+ Year Old Account
    In a bar. Somewhere that carries Khalua, cream and Vodka
    If you use USB from the computer, that could also potentially cause noise (though with the Schiit... Im not sure what you are using). I personally use an optical cable for my Schiit. (I have a Bifrost Uber and Asgard 2)

Anyway, if the piece that you are using is working, I would just stick with it how you have it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    anyone want doughnuts? i hear there is a great shop in Vancouver

Deleted
    You need to check where the hum is coming from, it sounds like an earth loop.

Check from PC > USB > DAC > headphones, is the hum present here? If so earth maybe coming from an into the USB line which you can break using a few products.

Try to run the DAC from a laptop (no power supply connected) and try more computers preferably laptops without power plugged in, ran off battery. If the hum is present it maybe coming from the Schiit power supply, if so get a cheater plug or another low noise power supply