Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by UcanDoSht View Post
    I'd instantly quit such a joke guild. Dont even know who that person was if it werent for the people posting about it on mmo-champ.
    that's pretty sad

Yea sounds like your raid leader just can't be arsed. HFC is 7 months old and boring as fuck. They probably can't be bothered with another wipe night at this point and Bowies death is as good of an excuse as any.

If you wanted to raid, just offer to lead for that night and grab someone from the guild / trade.

Quote Originally Posted by Synstir View Post
    Damn, you people hard hardcore! Wow is a game, the raid will be there the day after also.....
    Maybe some of the officers and guild members where fans and wanted to witness some ceremony or something.

you guys are really serious about something that is just a game.
    If you log out, everything wil be waiting for you to log on again, whenever that may be.
    Nothing in life will wait for you, every moment passed is passed for ever.
    Totally besides the point. If I've set aside time one evening to raid, then that means if the raid is cancelled, my evening gets completely wasted because now I have nothing to do for an entire evening. Not everyone can just get up and do something else at a moment's notice, you know.

I know that if a raid leader in my guild did something like that, I'd seriously question their leadership ability.

Herald of the Titans SoulSoBreezy's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mokoshne View Post
    do you think its ok for officers to cancel a scheduled raid last minute in honor of david bowie?

i don't understand, it's not like his family or anyone will ever know...
    What about <David Bowie Superfans> ? Have you no heart, you monster?!

It was a joke, but one we went thru with....but we cancelled a raid night due to the horrendous transmog our MT wore Also he is our GL. We showed up to raid...he pulls up in the pissiest-yellow pally plate he could find. We told him to mog out of it due to our eyes bleeding profusely over our collective keyboards or else we were gonna call it.

"I'm dead Sexy" was all he said on vent and promptly logged for the evening.

We called it right afterwards for the sheer epicness of the moment.
    If you are progressing through content just to obtain gear, you are doing it wrong. You, in fact, are doing it exactly backwards.
    You are the leader of the Black Harvest, go harvest some squirrels and crack some more nuts. Sir.

Quote Originally Posted by Pull My Finger View Post
    Lots of ad homo because you know I'm right and you don't have any arguments.
    argumentum ad hominem

Quote Originally Posted by Summer View Post
    There's a solution, offer to set up the raid for those who want to raid and raid lead it.

I did this when the RL in my (new) guild had a case of sudden acute burnout a year ago and cancelled all raids, just said he can stop all he wants but I'll be there at raid time and if there are 19 others we'll be raiding. Turns out there were, we raided and I took over raid leading :P

In other words; don't like how they do it, do it better yourself.
    This I've done the same thing twice before. Sometimes you just gotta take the reins and run. Gets you some respect in the guild as well and teaches you a new skill and it isn't that hard if the content isn't serious progression (which at this point i doubt it is).

Also, to the person who said they've never heard of David Bowie until he died. I'm a little impressed you've managed to avoid the guy up until this point. Good stuff I recommend checking him out a bit. Good music and plays a great villain and a great eccentric.

I'd quit that guild instantly. What a joke.

The Lightbringer
    7+ Year Old Account
    It was just an excuse to cancel raid for unknown reasons.

10+ Year Old Account
    The fuck... well the only time we've ever cancelled a raid is because it was the World cup finals, and half our raid are nationals of one of the teams.

I thought that was fair.

In honor of david bowie sounds like a very made up excuse.
    I have eaten all the popcorn, I left none for anyone else.

Wouldn't the correct way to honor Bowie be to continue the raid while having the music bot play all Bowie's music?
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

We paused a progression raid for an hour when bin Laden was killed because, frankly, no one could be arsed to come back to their computers.

Felt justified.

Some things are big events for people. If someone had an emotional investment in a huge music icon, I could buy it. And if that person was crucial to the raid-- so be it.

Would I want it to happen often? No. But hey, sometimes shit happens.

Xpariah
    , Protection Warrior
    Xdh, Vengeance Demon Hunter
    Reckoning, Usually Recruiting
    YouTube & Twitch, Warrior & DH Tank PoV

Quote Originally Posted by Jellospally View Post
    I canceled a raid in my alt guild cuz i wanted to go see a movie at release .

Granted I said 1 shot blast furnace for first kill and we can log off cuz fuck maidens and we did. We still cleared the tier meh.
    If you have to cancel a raid because you, personally, can't make it, either A) you are the only officer in the group and therefore, it's not a good group, or B) you're so narcissistic you believe that nobody could be successful leading the raid in your absence.

Our main raid leader has missed raids several times before and while it's usually a bit rougher, we keep trucking on. I think the only reason to cancel a raid is because of bad comp (in the case of no farm to do and you are trying to work on a new boss), holidays, or too many call-outs. At the very least if it becomes time to consider cancelling a raid, you should ask yourself if there's anything easier for the group to do. Morale is much improved by defeating some easy bosses, and I believe the ability to say "We don't have a comp for Mythic tonight, let's clear Heroics and give everyone a couple hours off" is the reason my current guild survived the brutal tier transition.
    Ixila of Forgotten Aspects - US Hyjal 13/13 Mythic Hellfire Citadel
    My YouTube kill vids!
    Ixila - Holy Paladin - Armory | Ixtide - Resto Shaman - Armory

Herald of the Titans Zenotetsuken's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaelian View Post
    Last minute cancels for such a reason would have me questioning if that group of people should really be running a guild...

Pretty stupid if you ask me.
    ^ This

/10char

that's the best reason for cancelling a raid ever! what are you talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by Pull My Finger View Post
    I imagine that gamer nerds would have a hard time imagining that anything else matters in life. But hey. Can't you people run your raid without the one guy who happens to not feel like it?
    While a good point you also have to keep in mind that when we're talking about non lfg raiding you have 9+ real people that did put something off irl that might have mattered to some degree in order to raid (whether progression, farm, etc). Someone who can't be replaced that prevents everyone else from raiding = 9+ people who essentially waisted real time that could have been otherwise used to plan for and/or doing something else worthwhile that day. It is just a game, but you have to sacrifice time in your real life to organize and play it, people don't want their time wasted.