Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuntantee View Post
    Does this mean they've detected gravitons?
    No.

Quote Originally Posted by Guyv3r View Post
    Just because you interpret it as such, doesn't make it so

- - - Updated - - -

Science is not rumors... And everyone should love science!
    Eh, Science provides interesting possibilities and technologies. I think that's the part of science people like, but science also demystifies everything making everything seem pointless. The show Rick and Morty plays with this fact a lot, having Rick deconstruct love as just chemical reactions that compel animals to breed or how bout when Rick took the time to explain mathematically that Morty and Sommer are pieces of shit all the while they are minutes from ceasing to exist. They even just go to another reality where they had just died, buried themselves from that universe and took their place as if nothing ever happened.
    Your powers are useless on me you silly billy...

10+ Year Old Account

pretty nice glad it's actually true
    Money talks, bullshit walks..

Quote Originally Posted by Guyv3r View Post
    I'm not into politics.
    I just don't agree with the news delivery method of todays papers.

"The sky MIGHT fall down tomorrow and we got a machine 3x more sensitive to prove it". Cool hum.

I would be extatic if there were ACTUAL results published.
    A couple of Ls that each have ~2mi long legs on either side of the earth with lasers in the that measure their length. When gravity waves pass through them one leg gets smaller while the other gets longer. They have to be so big because the change in length is tiny.

What are you talking about? What events do you think produce detectable gravity waves? Because it's pretty much just colliding black holes.
    From the locked duplicate thread.

Right now these are basically only things we can detect. I recall reading that it may be possible to detect g-waves from neutron star collisions too, which are probably more common. Even then to my understanding, we may be able to detect these waves coming from colliding black holes and those then pass trough things like galaxies and stars and also note that these are gravitational waves from black holes. They get altered along the way and thus allow us to measure what happened to them along the way. Also, if inflation theory is correct, there should be gravitational waves left from when universe expanded just after it came to existence.

Quote Originally Posted by Xada View Post
    Funnily enough, the Bicep2 experiment thought they had detected g-waves, but turns out it was just dust fucking it up. So you are 100% correct in thinking that, this is why LIGO will quadruple check everything before coming forward with any findings. If they have discovered something, we probably won't hear about it until the end of the year.
    Not just dust, but people parking in the parking lot. The shit is incredibly sensitive.

Deleted
    They should fine 10% off all research costs to researchers claiming they might have found something. Either you find something or you don't...in any other case they can go f themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Morae View Post
    From the locked duplicate thread.

Right now these are basically only things we can detect. I recall reading that it may be possible to detect g-waves from neutron star collisions too, which are probably more common. Even then to my understanding, we may be able to detect these waves coming from colliding black holes and those then pass trough things like galaxies and stars and also note that these are gravitational waves from black holes. They get altered along the way and thus allow us to measure what happened to them along the way. Also, if inflation theory is correct, there should be gravitational waves left from when universe expanded just after it came to existence.
    You're talking about accurately sensing variations in things that some of the most sensitive instruments in the world are just barely able to detect that they exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    You're talking about accurately sensing variations in things that some of the most sensitive instruments in the world are just barely able to detect that they exist.
    Right now. Technology advances. Better detectors will be possible to build. Even now we know we can probably extend the range of detection 3x.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Tstyqz2g7o

This video mentions things we could do, if we are able to see g-waves (that specific part is at about 4:40). Anyway, I'm not going to argue this with you any longer.

Paper is here:

https://dcc.ligo.org/public/0122/P15...f_GW150914.pdf

The data plots look pretty spectacular.

These black holes are larger than would be produced by a supernova of current stars with high levels of "metals", but early stars in the universe could have produced them.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

7+ Year Old Account
    Something neat you would see in a science article.

Doubt I will ever benefit from this discovery though. Maybe the generation after.

Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Paper is here:

https://dcc.ligo.org/public/0122/P15...f_GW150914.pdf

The data plots look pretty spectacular.

These black holes are larger than would be produced by a supernova of current stars with high levels of "metals", but early stars in the universe could have produced them.
    I like the power that went into creating those gravitational waves: 3 solar masses were used in making those waves, and gravitational wave luminosity peaked at 200 solar masses per second.

Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    Not just dust, but people parking in the parking lot. The shit is incredibly sensitive.
    Easily, I was just responding to someone who said something like "sounds like dust could produce a false reading" which ironically has produced a false detection for g-waves before Hell, I think they said a truck driving down a road miles away or a bird farting could produce a false reading if they aren't careful.
    Your powers are useless on me you silly billy...

That experiment, LIGO, cost a billion dollars.

That's a lot of money.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post

That's a lot of money.
    Let's hope it'll be worth it. Teflon anyone?
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

A sad day for physics cranks everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeilon View Post
    They should fine 10% off all research costs to researchers claiming they might have found something. Either you find something or you don't...in any other case they can go f themselves.
    They're not claiming that they might have detected it, they're claiming that they have. They've spent over half a year convincing themselves that it wasn't an error; it was detected in September.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post

That's a lot of money.
    Money well spent. One of the most basic properties of the universe has been confirmed to exist!

Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post
    I like the power that went into creating those gravitational waves: 3 solar masses were used in making those waves, and gravitational wave luminosity peaked at 200 solar masses per second.
    I saw this comparison:

The energy of the merger is to a megaton of TNT, as a megaton of TNT is to a single molecule of TNT.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    Let's hope it'll be worth it. Teflon anyone?
    Are you repeating the myth that Teflon is a NASA spinoff technology?
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"