Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    im all for bants, but for progression it pisses me off to no end when people are like "HERPA DERP DERP AND THEN I PULLED HER PANTS DOWN AND..." yeah, really hate loads of people chatting on TS all at the same time during boss fights.

an ideal world for me is the raid leader with healers/tanks calling out CD as and when needed, and perhaps introducing phase change and any stacking, move to X marker and so on.

keep the bants and retardfests for alt runs or out of raids altogether, makes me cringe *shudder*

it really says a lot about your guild when you all have very good communication and know when to and when to not talk in raid chat.

learning everyone's' voice in your raid as a healer feels very important to me.

there are only so many things I can track on the screen during an intense fight such as on Manneroth where a raider may get out of position and know they can call out for a grip when found in a dire situation

Most of the time, the people I run with tend to get a bit talkative during the fights, and the Raid leader will say clear mumble, or something of the sort. And when that happens we only have 2 people talking. The Raid lead and another to help call things that he misses(normally a set person, like an officer).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cien View Post
    im all for bants, but for progression it pisses me off to no end when people are like "HERPA DERP DERP AND THEN I PULLED HER PANTS DOWN AND..." yeah, really hate loads of people chatting on TS all at the same time during boss fights.

an ideal world for me is the raid leader with healers/tanks calling out CD as and when needed, and perhaps introducing phase change and any stacking, move to X marker and so on.

keep the bants and retardfests for alt runs or out of raids altogether, makes me cringe *shudder*
    u cant have people talking like this on progression. you need a raid leader with a strong voice & actual authority to be like STFU u stupid plebs and focus on mechanics.
    Hi

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mokoshne View Post
    STFU u stupid plebs and focus on mechanics.
    Suboptimal.

For my guild?
    Between active fight, especially ones that are progression, it's usually just the Raid Leader, the Tanks, and the people who are controlling the Legendary ring CD's.
    Couple of people usually make callouts of our encounter addon for events; We use two different addons for that, strangely give different events and timers on some fights. Really just 4 or 5 people throughout the fights. Not all talking at once, usually. Raid size varies on the day; Anywhere from 14 to 27.

Anyone is really open to speak up though if it involves the encounter, or someone is unsure about something that wasn't mentioned during the explanation.

Most of the time, we're just farming bosses on Heroic, so we just talk about what ever.
    I'm a Kitsune! Not a cat, or a mutt!

10+ Year Old Account
    Typically for us the RL, myself and one of the tanks. Things I'll take will include interrupt rotation on Socrather while the RL hunter is busy on other mobs.

We're fairly relaxed about it though and on most bosses we often start the fights chatting with each other. Toning it down the further we get into it.

My personal belief clashes with a lot of previous thought on raidleading where the philosophy seemed to be "Don't handhold, track things yourself, only callouts should be for when we pop group CDs or something unexpected happens."

I happen to believe that in any team project/endeavour, where there are individual benchmarks within the project, but also vital team benchmarks, clear and regular communication is best to meet those group goals, while being hands off on individual jobs. TL;DR: People will always prioritize themselves and their individual "things they have to do" (role wise) before thinking about the group, subconsciously, even if they're trying not to. I believe in reminding people of mechanics that are upcoming, but putting the responsibility on them to figure out if/when it applies to them. For example, I'll call out when Shadowforce is coming on M-Mannoroth (when it only affects 3 people), but I won't take the time to call out the names of the three people who get shadowforced so the healers can heal them - that's something they need to see. I'll say things like, "loose spread for imp spawn, then collapse on blue for gaze," but I won't say things like, "Hey that add needs to die," because the add dying is part of the strat.

Being hands off on individual jobs is letting people figure out things that you can't really control yourself. IE, in our case, our healers figure out the CDs themselves without input from the raidleader, because what does he know about it? On fights like Xhul with lots of individualized roles, we rarely talk about what a specific person should be doing (like a mass grip) after the first few handful of pulls.

Talking about Hearthstone during a progression pull? That shit bugs me.

I was once in a guild where one of our healers never ran back after a wipe because she was too busy looking at kittens on tumblr. I shit you not. Then she'd bug her current crush with all the kitten photos, and they'd giggle like idiots and not pay attention to adjustments, and then a dozen pulls later, one or the other of them would say, "Hey, we should be doing this," when we had been doing that for those dozen pulls already. That shit annoys me too.

This is personal preference, but I don't play with music on, television on, or anything but the game on. I don't browse reddit or tumblr or even logs unless there's a serious issue we need to figure out, while we're raiding. We raid a dozen hours a week, and for those hours, I'm locked in. I even have game sound on because I think boss audio cues are just as important as visual cues. Personally, I think it makes me a much more aware raider than most, but even I understand it would be unreasonable to say, hey, don't listen to music so you can hear wtf is going on...even though I'd love that.

Deleted
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OE7M16hBeGg

Old but always relevant. He is obviously talking about raid leading in general, not only voice comm, but he makes some great points. It helped me improve a lot.

Basically, you should always delegate as a RL but its also important that you're the only one making some calls to avoid confusion (stop dps, kill this, kill that, etc)

Anyone can talk, preferably the Officers. When it comes time to buckle up and get shit done, raid leader only. Everyone else shuts up unless it's critical information.

Just answering the question in the OP, as a RL, having me only talk would be absurd. I do a lot of the talking, but I encourage anyone that has something worth saying to do so, it's the whole point of voice comms. Not only that, but there are bosses where I'm doing a crucial job that requires me to focus, so I will have people call out different things while I'm busy doing that.

We are constantly having discussions about who should talk and who should keep silent during progression fights. I don't mind people screaming over each other and talking off-topic during non-raiding times, but when there's a lot of banter throughout progression fights, we usually start telling people to stfu because their particular speech does not matter