Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

Washington Post: Ted Cruz is not eligible to be President

From The Washington Post itself:

My take on this. If the Republicans nominate Cruz over Trump, they have showed themselves to be even stupider than Trump supporters. What sort of idiot nominates a guy who can't even be President? Are you trying to give the Democrats a free pass at the elections?

Ted Cruz is not eligible to be president

By Mary Brigid McManamon January 12 at 11:24 AM

Mary Brigid McManamon is a constitutional law professor at Widener University’s Delaware Law School.

Donald Trump is actually right about something: Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Tex.) is not a natural-born citizen and therefore is not eligible to be president or vice president of the United States.

The Constitution provides that “No person except a natural born Citizen . . . shall be eligible to the Office of President.” The concept of “natural born” comes from common law, and it is that law the Supreme Court has said we must turn to for the concept’s definition. On this subject, common law is clear and unambiguous. ... The Americans who drafted the Constitution adopted this principle for the United States. James Madison, known as the “father of the Constitution,” stated, “It is an established maxim that birth is a criterion of allegiance. . . . [And] place is the most certain criterion; it is what applies in the United States.”
    *snipped,meme posts are unneeded -Jester Joe*
    Last edited by Jester Joe; 2016-01-13 at 01:54 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ramjb View Post
    From The Washington Post itself:
    It's an opinion piece.

OT: Who gives a shit? It seems like nonsense semantics to me.

Wasn't this guy a "Obama birther"?

10+ Year Old Account
    And the White House said Trump isn't qualified. Nothing means nothing until SCOTUS says something about it. With that said it might be worth it for him to run because you better believe the Democrats are ready to sue and hold up the courts until he is irrelevant. Doesn't matter if he ultimately wins his case or not, they will drag their feet until he drops out of the election or it passes him by.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    It's an opinion piece.

It would define on record what it means to be a naturalized citizen, which as we see can be vague at times.

Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    And the White House said Trump isn't qualified. Nothing means nothing until SCOTUS says something about it. With that said it might be worth it for him to run because you better believe the Democrats are ready to sue and hold up the courts until he is irrelevant. Doesn't matter if he ultimately wins his case or not, they will drag their feet until he drops out of the election or it passes him by.

- - - Updated - - -

It would define on record what it means to be a naturalized citizen, which as we see can be vague at times.

I dont know, they might choose to take the high ground because it would justify what the republicans did to Obama

I will give it to Trump. He sticks to his issues.

Is there really not a system in place that determines a candidate's eligibility before entering a Presidential race?

Why must these questions be asked to far into a campaign?

The push for Cruz has always amused me after all that ridiculous Birther bullshit. I mean, this guy was actually born in another country. Like, it's not even a secret. But, that's OK for a lot of the same people who lost their shit to completely groundless bullshit about Obama.

People are perplexing.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    It's an opinion piece.

I agree. But I can't deny enjoying watching this.

Quote Originally Posted by cant cook clean or iron View Post
    If he was, at least he's consistent.

Quote Originally Posted by satimy View Post
    I dont know, they might choose to take the high ground because it would justify what the republicans did to Obama

High ground? In politics????

10+ Year Old Account
    It doesnt really matter. We should all just take him for his word that he is eligible with no proof as were required to do with Obama. I dont want to hear any democrats complaining about his eligibility

10+ Year Old Account
    All this does is galvanize more people against the Democrats and showcase their desperation to maintain their power.

Deny if you like, but you'll see. =)

Edit: Damnit Orlong you made me spit my coffee out. I want Trump to say that on election day now.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    It doesnt really matter. We should all just take him for his word that he is eligible with no proof as were required to do with Obama. I dont want to hear any democrats complaining about his eligibility
    I would imagine most if not all the questioning is going to be coming from Trump and his allies. Funny how he is your Avatar.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by The Penguin View Post
    All this does is galvanize more people against the Democrats and showcase their desperation to maintain their power.

Deny if you like, but you'll see. =)

Edit: Damnit Orlong you made me spit my coffee out. I want Trump to say that on election day now.
    You do know it's the Trump Camp that for the most part has been making this an issue right?

He shouldn't be President because he comes across as a bad Bond villain trying to act like Ward Cleaver. If it's him and Hillary, I'll go independent again.

You are thinking of Hillary Clinton

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Notchris View Post
    The push for Cruz has always amused me after all that ridiculous Birther bullshit. I mean, this guy was actually born in another country. Like, it's not even a secret. But, that's OK for a lot of the same people who lost their shit to completely groundless bullshit about Obama.

People are perplexing.
    I wouldnt say they think its OK, I think they look at it as payback for being demonized for even daring to question the almighty Obama's eligibility

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Phayde View Post
    He shouldn't be President because he comes across as a bad Bond villain trying to act like Ward Cleaver. If it's him and Hillary, I'll go independent again.
    What is his Bond villain name, Blowhard?

Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    No see what we should do is complain and bitch and moan until we finally get proof, then ignore the proof and continue to whine bitch and moan about him not being eligible.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiase View Post
    It's because Obama isn't "white" but "black" so that's why it matters. Closet/open racism right there. It's okey for the white guy but not for the black guy.
    Race has nothing to do with the hatred for Obama in at least 75% of his haters. Its his policies. And let me tell you a little secret. Obama isnt black, he just looks it. He is actually mixed race