10+ Year Old Account

4K capable. Need help picking parts

Could use some help putting together a list of required components for a 4K capable machine.

Budget: Around $2500 or so.
    Resolution: 4K, ideally max settings on current and upcoming titles
    Need an OS
    No parts can be reused
    Need a new monitor, mouse, keyboard.

If $2500 isn't enough to get it done, feel free to go above that number.
    Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
    You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.

Sovereign
    Mass Effect

10+ Year Old Account
    That's a pretty much default build:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($254.88 @ OutletPC)
    CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 3 67.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler ($74.90 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($153.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($89.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($89.88 @ OutletPC)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.98 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB AMP! Extreme Video Card ($678.89 @ B&H)
    Case: Fractal Design Define S w/Window ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($83.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Total: $1566.49
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-15 14:27 EST-0500

Depending on what you play the K version of the i5 is useless, and I'm skeptical about the RAM difference in comparison to DDR4 2400. Didn't put Win10 here because you can get it cheaper at different websites or for free using the Windows Insider program.

If you don't need oc:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.98 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($50.98 @ B&H)
    Memory: Crucial 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($69.99 @ Adorama)
    Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($89.88 @ OutletPC)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.98 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB AMP! Extreme Video Card ($678.89 @ B&H)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($83.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Total: $1313.68
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-15 14:31 EST-0500

As for monitor, if you don't mind 40", I'd recommend one of the two:

Samsung 40JU6500
    Samsung 40JU6700

Yes they're both TVs. But they're both VA which gives you better contrast, both support 3840x2160@60@4:4:4 for monitor usage and both have low enough input lag.
    Higher models have things that you don't want at a monitor, like local dimming or HDR, since you can't use them and they increase the input lag.

Mouse and keyboard are completely subjective.

- - - Updated - - -

And if the OC'd 980Ti isnt enough your next option is Fury CF. Fury X CF would need a lot of space because of their WCs.

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($254.88 @ OutletPC)
    CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 3 67.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler ($74.90 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($153.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($89.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury 4GB Video Card (2-Way CrossFire) ($506.98 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury 4GB Video Card (2-Way CrossFire) ($506.98 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic M12II 850W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($109.99 @ B&H)
    Total: $1927.56
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-15 14:41 EST-0500

A single 980 TI won't get you max settings on current titles @ 4k, you'll need 2 of them.
    Shadow Priest Wýcked <Incarnate> Nerzhul
    Death Knight Yzf <RX> Lethon
    Boomkin Yzf <Incarnate> Nerzhul

Quote Originally Posted by Wycked View Post
    A single 980 TI won't get you max settings on current titles @ 4k, you'll need 2 of them.
    that's funny because I'm running 4k with a single 980 ti with witcher3 maxed and still pulling 60fps

Just curious what your definition of 4k capable is. IMO, if something is AxB resolution capable it is capable, that means it can perform at above 60FPS all the time. Currently, this is not really possible at 4k. Even with Dual 980ti's. Take a look at the results of this benchmark:

http://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/19...titan-x/Page-2

For GTAV at 4K on Ultra, it's average is barely above 60 with dips as low as 28. Something that dips sub-30 FPS is not capable IMO.

IMO, since even spending as much as you can you can not maintain 60FPS at 4k, it's not really worth going for. I would aim for 1440p currently.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ornerybear View Post
    that's funny because I'm running 4k with a single 980 ti with witcher3 maxed and still pulling 60fps
    Video or it didn't happen.

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/...enchmarks.html

980ti's in SLI only get 56 avg FPS in Witcher 3 with dips down to 18. Yet your single 980ti outperforms that? The screenshot in that post is from gamersnexus and I trust those guys over some random guy on the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    Just curious what your definition of 4k capable is. IMO, if something is AxB resolution capable it is capable, that means it can perform at above 60FPS all the time. Currently, this is not really possible at 4k. Even with Dual 980ti's. Take a look at the results of this benchmark:

http://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/19...titan-x/Page-2

For GTAV at 4K on Ultra, it's average is barely above 60 with dips as low as 28. Something that dips sub-30 FPS is not capable IMO.

IMO, since even spending as much as you can you can not maintain 60FPS at 4k, it's not really worth going for. I would aim for 1440p currently.
    This is a fair response. My single 980 runs around 60fps MOST of the time, but it will see dips, never noticed anything really noticeable or game breaking though. disabling or reducing AA helps a lot, since you dont really need it at those resolutions.

This is a fair response. My single 980 runs around 60fps MOST of the time, but it will see dips, never noticed anything really noticeable or game breaking though. disabling or reducing AA helps a lot, since you dont really need it at those resolutions.
    ok, now I know you are full of it. You state here you have a single 980 and some setting turned down.

Yet here you state you have a 980ti with all settings maxed.

Which is it? You are fibbing, either to us or to us and yourself trying to justify your purchase to yourself. Either way, you are wrong.

ok, now I know you are full of it. You state here you have a single 980 and some setting turned down.

Yet here you state you have a 980ti with all settings maxed.

Which is it? You are fibbing, either to us or to us and yourself trying to justify your purchase to yourself. Either way, you are wrong.
    oh calm down champ. i have everything maxed except AA because it's unnecessary at 4k. look it up. i also dont really count AA as graphics settings in the same way i count textures or view distance or shadows or reflections, etc etc.

I didn't say i never dropped below 60fps either. I'm not trying to bullshit anyone, I've had a very good experience running 4k with a single 980 ti. maybe you all have ridiculous standards and scoff at any dip below 60fps, but i dont.

- - - Updated - - -

nvidia even turns it down or off at 4k with auto detect settings.

How about a live benchmark of a Titan X, which isn't any more capable than an OCed 980Ti?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsCIdqIqbgM

4k/60fps/Ultra is possible with a single GPU in a lot of games.

also not all 980 ti are created equal. I'm running the asus strix as well which is the top performer. some of the 980 ti cards out are garbage.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not saying it runs perfect or anything, just that i'm very happy with it's performance at 4k.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    How about a live benchmark of a Titan X, which isn't any more capable than an OCed 980Ti?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsCIdqIqbgM

4k/60fps/Ultra is possible with a single GPU in a lot of games.
    In a lot of games, yes, but not all. I basically just wanted to let the OP know what to expect. Some people buy these things expecting it to perform a certain way(ie. Full Ultra with no dips below 60) and then they'll get a certain game and only be getting 40-50 FPS and be upset. Knowing ahead of time what to expect, or lowering your expectations a bit so that when performance exceeds you are happy, is not a bad thing. This is exactly why my first question to the OP was, what do you consider 4K Capable to mean. Then when on to explain what i consider it to mean and why I think it is currently not worth the cost. That is all. Then someone else came in who was changing their story from a 980 to a 980ti and making absurd claims.

- - - Updated - - -

oh calm down champ. i have everything maxed except AA because it's unnecessary at 4k. look it up. i also dont really count AA as graphics settings in the same way i count textures or view distance or shadows or reflections, etc etc.

I didn't say i never dropped below 60fps either. I'm not trying to bullshit anyone, I've had a very good experience running 4k with a single 980 ti. maybe you all have ridiculous standards and scoff at any dip below 60fps, but i dont.

- - - Updated - - -

nvidia even turns it down or off at 4k with auto detect settings.
    Nothing to "calm down" over, I am not upset at all. It's just your story was changing and benchmarks I have looked at prove differently.

I understand AA is not needed, but it is still a graphical setting as that's where you find it in games, under graphics settings. It's controlled by the GPU so it's a graphics setting. No matter what you consider it, that's what it is, so when having a discussion about settings and someone says all settings maxed, one would assume AA is also maxed. Yes, you are correct, at those settings it is not needed, but you stated, clearly, that you had it maxed, then later changed your story to state that it was not and your GPU also changed.

Also, no, my standards are not ridiculous. Look at my rig in my signature. I run a GTX960. Of course my standards are low. I was simply trying to find out what the OP was expecting and letting him know that even if he spends this amount of money, he may not be able to get what he is expecting. That's all.

10+ Year Old Account
    And buying 2 500$+ cards to use them with some crap monitor is not a nice idea either. Like the video posted earlier.

10+ Year Old Account
    Agreed with Lathais. AA might not be "necessary" (same with shadows in WoW, looks nice but it's a performance hog and most people turn it down), but don't say everything is "maxxed" if it actually isn't. No disrespect or offense intended on my part, I'm just saying that to the average joe who might not know much about each specific setting and what they do/whether they're needed, they may read your statement and buy a card assuming they can run everything "maxxed" only to find out they might have to turn down a setting or two.

10+ Year Old Account
    And if anyone is wondering, CF scales better than SLI.

In a lot of games, yes, but not all. I basically just wanted to let the OP know what to expect. Some people buy these things expecting it to perform a certain way(ie. Full Ultra with no dips below 60) and then they'll get a certain game and only be getting 40-50 FPS and be upset. Knowing ahead of time what to expect, or lowering your expectations a bit so that when performance exceeds you are happy, is not a bad thing. This is exactly why my first question to the OP was, what do you consider 4K Capable to mean. Then when on to explain what i consider it to mean and why I think it is currently not worth the cost. That is all. Then someone else came in who was changing their story from a 980 to a 980ti and making absurd claims.

- - - Updated - - -

Nothing to "calm down" over, I am not upset at all. It's just your story was changing and benchmarks I have looked at prove differently.

I understand AA is not needed, but it is still a graphical setting as that's where you find it in games, under graphics settings. It's controlled by the GPU so it's a graphics setting. No matter what you consider it, that's what it is, so when having a discussion about settings and someone says all settings maxed, one would assume AA is also maxed. Yes, you are correct, at those settings it is not needed, but you stated, clearly, that you had it maxed, then later changed your story to state that it was not and your GPU also changed.

Also, no, my standards are not ridiculous. Look at my rig in my signature. I run a GTX960. Of course my standards are low. I was simply trying to find out what the OP was expecting and letting him know that even if he spends this amount of money, he may not be able to get what he is expecting. That's all.
    it's cool. I'm just at work and typing between waiting for solidworks to react to rebuilds etc haha. I just miss-typed and left off ti. didn't notice until you called attention to it.

I will say i think a lot of the benchmarks are cranking AA, which like you said is a graphics setting, but I wish more of the benchmarks would use reasonable settings because the AA is what is really destroying the framerate on the single card comparisons. before i bought mine i did a lot of reading and i think it was actually someone on mmoc mentioning AA at 4k is what helped me out a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilz View Post
    You made it jump to when he was testing Shadow or Mordor at 1440p. The 4k test is right behind that and the fps was in the 40s and dipped to the 30s.

Not much of a reason to say a lot of games can be run at 4k on a single card. It's the AAA games with a heavy focus on the graphics that people are talking about when they say a single card won't always cut it.
    ... you realize he's running that with the super-stupid-mega-texture pack, right, and AA cranked all the way up, which is totally pointless at 4k? And still getting playable framerates.

And i didn't make it jump to anything, i just copied the link straight from YouTube.

Maybe you should watch the rest of the video instead of looking like a fool.

wait for pascal gpus before you try to build a 4k system
    I dont play in a hardcore no-lifer guild, but in a 2 days a week "hardcore" mythic guild.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Butosai View Post
    wait for pascal gpus before you try to build a 4k system
    That's what I'm doing. Waiting to finish playing AC:Syndicate and Witcher 3 until I can afford to play them with higher than 20fps @ 1920x1080 and beyond. Even though that's probably 6 months away.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    ... you realize he's running that with the super-stupid-mega-texture pack, right, and AA cranked all the way up, which is totally pointless at 4k? And still getting playable framerates.

And i didn't make it jump to anything, i just copied the link straight from YouTube.

Maybe you should watch the rest of the video instead of looking like a fool.
    I have not really looked to see how to fix this, but it's probably something very simple. However, when you link a video, it will start at where ever it was when you copied the link or to the point you had a paused at. So you did make it jump there, just inadvertently.