Car battery help- any mechanics?

So I am having problems with my new car. Long story short I was told by a family friend mechanic my battery was toast. While I was not given a 'full report' it can be quoted as saying

60 amps @ 12.5 reg 14.4 load battery fails 8.1v 60% res cap needs battery.

My headlights still flicker now when my foot is on the brake. They let my car sit for 3 days and said my battery is perfect this is the report

Battery test
    Battery- Good
    Rating 500 cca
    Measured 498 cca
    Volts 13.6
    Int R 5.42 mohm
    Life 100%

They said they do no other tests. Even I feel skeptical any battery that's even week old would test at 100%.

Secondly after working on my engine, my steering wheel had been moved and I can no longer adjust it. Could it be related to engine work?

12.5 is pretty close to completely dead, maybe it was a loose terminal if the battery is fine now. For the steering wheel you probably have tilt steering, look for the lever or button to adjust it back. I would take the word of the professionals with proper testing equipment over the friend.
    Last edited by Hooked; 2016-01-16 at 03:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    12.5 is pretty close to completely dead, maybe it was a loose terminal if the battery is fine now. For the steering wheel you probably have tilt steering, look for the lever or button to adjust it back. I would take the word of the professionals with proper testing equipment over the friend.
    My friend is a proper mechanic that owns his own shop, so he's legit. I just don't have a warranty with him.

But no the lever will not move. It's locked

Quote Originally Posted by Ayla View Post
    My friend is a proper mechanic that owns his own shop, so he's legit. I just don't have a warranty with him.

But no the lever will not move. It's locked
    Take it back to whoever messed with it and tell them about the steering wheel. As far as the battery goes if it holds a charge overnight it should be fine, a dead battery does not charge back up and hold the charge long at all, especially in winter when its cold.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    Take it back to whoever messed with it and tell them about the steering wheel. As far as the battery goes if it holds a charge overnight it should be fine, a dead battery does not charge back up and hold the charge long at all, especially in winter when its cold.
    Nope 3 tries and 4 visits is all they get. I don't care if it's a new issue. I haven't even had it a month. I was just more interested if it was a legit test or if it was missing something

Nope 3 tries and 4 visits is all they get. I don't care if it's a new issue. I haven't even had it a month. I was just more interested if it was a legit test or if it was missing something

I would try a car model specific forum, those suckers know everything about cars and all the quirks associated with them.

10+ Year Old Account
    My headlights still flicker now when my foot is on the brake.
    That sounds more like an alternator problem than a battery problem. Do the lights get brighter when you rev the engine?

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    That sounds more like an alternator problem than a battery problem. Do the lights get brighter when you rev the engine?
    No, not typically. They've either been very dark that I cant see at night when driving, or flickering when I was stepping on the gas, stopped or my foot was on the brake when in Park. (It changes every time I get it back) They did get brighter today when my foot was off the brake in park because it wasnt flickering. I did think it was an alternator, but both mechanics say its fine.

At this point I don't want this car anymore

So I am having problems with my new car. Long story short I was told by a family friend mechanic my battery was toast. While I was not given a 'full report' it can be quoted as saying

60 amps @ 12.5 reg 14.4 load battery fails 8.1v 60% res cap needs battery.

My headlights still flicker now when my foot is on the brake. They let my car sit for 3 days and said my battery is perfect this is the report

Battery test
    Battery- Good
    Rating 500 cca
    Measured 498 cca
    Volts 13.6
    Int R 5.42 mohm
    Life 100%

They said they do no other tests. Even I feel skeptical any battery that's even week old would test at 100%.

Secondly after working on my engine, my steering wheel had been moved and I can no longer adjust it. Could it be related to engine work?
    If its new then why not go to the dealer and have them check it all out?

Quote Originally Posted by xuros View Post
    If its new then why not go to the dealer and have them check it all out?
    I have been to the dealer. 4 times. *Eyetwitch*

I'm not mechanic, but working on cars is a hobby of mine. My first thought is either a bad battery(regardless of how it tested, I've had a bad battery test fine with two different tests but it wasn't putting out enough to satisfy the computer), faulty alternator, or a bad connection somewhere between the two. Keep taking your car back to the dealer until they fix it. I don't know what kind of car it is, how old it is, or where you live, but if it was me I'd drop it off and demand a rental until they get it fixed.

For your steering wheel, when you say it's been moved do you mean is it too far in or out? Too far up or down?
    I'm the root of all that is evil, yeah, but you can call me cookie.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have been to the dealer. 4 times. *Eyetwitch*
    If you haven't had it a month, return it. Tell them it's defective, they'll give you a new one. Provided you didn't special order the car, this shouldn't be a problem. Almost every US state (I'm assuming you're US) has a "Lemon Law" which basically gives you a 30-day minimum return period on defective vehicles.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Piglord View Post
    I'm not mechanic, but working on cars is a hobby of mine. My first thought is either a bad battery(regardless of how it tested, I've had a bad battery test fine with two different tests but it wasn't putting out enough to satisfy the computer), faulty alternator, or a bad connection somewhere between the two. Keep taking your car back to the dealer until they fix it. I don't know what kind of car it is, how old it is, or where you live, but if it was me I'd drop it off and demand a rental until they get it fixed.

For your steering wheel, when you say it's been moved do you mean is it too far in or out? Too far up or down?
    Its too far down. It blocks my view of my speedometer. Unfortunately Canada has no real lemon laws either (its a 2003, paid 7k, lowish kms). They said theyd only take it back if I bought a new car, then theyd make sure it had no problems.They had my car for 8 days, never offered a rental. So right now I have 2 cars, one that is about ready to die the other has problems that just keep piling on. I like my old car. The one that could just die, I know its life span!
    Last edited by Ayla; 2016-01-16 at 05:10 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Its too far down. It blocks my view of my speedometer. Unfortunately Canada has no real lemon laws either (its a 2003, paid 7k, lowish kms). They said theyd only take it back if I bought a new car, then theyd make sure it had no problems.They had my car for 8 days, never offered a rental. So right now I have 2 cars, one that is about ready to die the other has problems that just keep piling on. I like my old car. The one that could just die, I know its life span!
    You sound screwed. If you paid up front, and they can't/won't fix it and won't take it back unless you buy another, you're basically fucked.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

almost sounds like a short, maybe bad ground wire? but if you have a autozone near you (I think I read they are some in Canada but if there are any near you?) the ones in the US will test the battery for free (alternator too) looking on line the ones in Canada will too.

Had a problem last Monday with a car battery. But that sort of thing is typically easy to spot. Clock inside reset to 12am (it was 11:30am), and the radio wasn't pre-set anymore. Classic case of a near dead battery. Was able to drive to the nearest auto supply store (Pep Boys) and I traded my then dead battery for a new one (it was still under warranty there. And they did test it first.)

10+ Year Old Account
    So why is the battery the problem again? Is the car having a hard time starting or just lights flickering? Cause lights flickering isn't related to the battery. I also don't care if your friend is a proper mechanic, cause I've dealt with many proper mechanics and they all don't know jack. Lets get some basic ideas about the car first.

Does the car have HIDs installed? They flicker if they're about to go bad. Especially if bought from Ebay.

Check the ground wires. I can't stress this enough. I don't know what model your car is but if there's a bad ground then it would flicker the lights. Should be a number of spots on your car where wires go to and get bolted to the body of the car. I had a similar issue with my 2002 Vette and the thing was loaded with these ground connectors.

It would be different for your car but if they're corroded then the headlights would flicker. This is how mine looked like when I pulled it apart and while it doesn't look like much, it's enough to give problems. A little sand paper and some dielectric grease later and the flickering was gone.