Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Bill banning child marriage fails in Pakistan

Pakistani lawmakers had to withdraw a bill aimed at curbing the practice of child marriage after a prominent religious body declared the legislation un-Islamic.

The bill, which proposed raising the marriage age for females from 16 to 18, also called for harsher penalties for those who would arrange marriages involving children. Despite the laws in place, child marriages, particularly involving young female brides, are common in parts of the country. It's estimated that some 20 percent of girls in the country are married before they turn 18.

Clerics on the council object to minimum age requirements, arguing instead that an individual can marry once reaching puberty, which can be as early as the age of 9.

Original URL: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ed-un-islamic/
    Estimates of 20%. I wonder what the real number is like. The last sentence in my quote, I'm not even sure what to say about that.

ITT: rabble rabble immigrants rabble fucking brown muslims rabble

Cue 20 pages.

15+ Year Old Account
    If only western feminism could turn it's huge influential gaze towards things like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Revi View Post
    If only western feminism could turn it's huge influential gaze towards things like this.
    And do what?

Deleted
    Is the marriage age 16 or once they hit puberty? Because I am somewhat confused by that article.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeones View Post
    And do what?
    Do what they do best.

Protest, create a massive movement, get large-scale petition and for once actually fight against something that is truly dangerous.
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

Quote Originally Posted by Lemposs View Post
    Is the marriage age 16 or once they hit puberty? Because I am somewhat confused by that article.
    Looks like a concession of sorts. Currently the law says 16, but clerics object to that, saying 9 is appropriate.

Now how they somehow got the age of 18 to be withdrawn, but not 16, I don't know.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemposs View Post
    Form what I could work out, legally it is 16, but some people just ignore the law.

But...but...manspreading!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    The Patriarchy must be defeated first!
    Putin khuliyo

Deleted
    While I believe 16 is too young to be married - it's important to note this isn't exactly a low age compared to other nations

In the US certain states allow marriage at 15 for example and the vast majority allow at 16.

Massachusetts allows marriage at age 12....

What people do in other cultures is none of the West's business. America and Europe should focus on their own rampant pedophilia and sex abuse culture instead of trying to paint another culture as less progressive because they do things differently.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikesglory View Post
    In the US certain states allow marriage at 15 for example and the vast majority allow at 16.
    Yeah but they aren't brown so it's np.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Justpassing View Post
    Yeah but they aren't brown so it's np.
    Woops quoted wrong thing. Thanks phone.

I don't really see a problem with this...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    What people do in other cultures is none of the West's business. America and Europe should focus on their own rampant pedophilia and sex abuse culture instead of trying to paint another culture as less progressive because they do things differently.
    Muh rape culture. Oh wait.

10+ Year Old Account
    Banning child marriages would be against Sharia and Pakistan has some pretty strict Islamic regions of Sharia so this wasn't going to happen.
    I may not agree with what you say but I will fight to the death to defend your right to say it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Pedophilia is an issue everywhere, but there's a huge difference between society universally condemning it like in the west, making it up to the authorities to stop - and parts of society openly being in favor of it like in countries where marrying girls as young as 9 is practiced in some circles.

This is a retarded level of deflection.

10+ Year Old Account
    This has to be a troll post
    I may not agree with what you say but I will fight to the death to defend your right to say it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushtuckrman View Post
    Banning child marriages would be against Sharia and Pakistan has some pretty strict Islamic regions of Sharia so this wasn't going to happen.
    >bash pedophilia (read: muslims)
    >weeb girl avatar
    >dat sig

This guy is like MMO-C incarnate.

Infracted for flaming
    Last edited by Jester Joe; 2016-01-17 at 07:34 PM.