Poll: Do you think a mammoth would be tamable?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Do you think a mammoth would be tamable?

After all, mammoths themselves were a sister lineage to Elephas or the Asian Elephant genus. I would think you would be able to actually train one identically if not similarly in method on how you would correctly train an Asian elephant without negative reinforcement. I mean if mammoths were around today, wouldn't they be very useful as beasts of burden in colder places like Russia?

I think so. If there would be a resurgence in the mammoth population, I think they'd remain wild until they increase in enough numbers. Then again, they would probably be in risk of extinction again from poachers that would kill them for their ivory tusks. Aside from that though, I do think they'd be useful in harsh, cold areas.

That's a nice picture by the way. I like the concept.

Almost any semi-intelligent animal is tamable given enough time to selectively breed.

Quote Originally Posted by InventiveMeasures View Post
    I think so. If there would be a resurgence in the mammoth population, I think they'd remain wild until they increase in enough numbers. Then again, they would probably be in risk of extinction again from poachers that would kill them for their ivory tusks. Aside from that though, I do think they'd be useful in harsh, cold areas.

That's a nice picture by the way. I like the concept.
    I feel like if mammoths were around to the modern era, like with surviving elephants, some groups would pick up on domestication/mutualism, while others would not.

I've had this concept of sort of a world where the Pleistocene megafauna never went extinct. Sort of historical fantasy if you will. Anglo-Saxons chasing after a prehistoric rhinoceros on horseback through Great Britain.

I think it's an awesome and original concept

Oops, I didn't read the first post and just voted no. Because they're dead. I need to read more before voting.