Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

The more things change the more they stay the same.

I think it's interesting nearly 40 years later some of the same arguments are used to disparage Refugees, or Musims, or blacks, never mind anything else that might got on in the world or the context of anything else.

So the question is people that bitch and complain about being called a racist, do they bitch and complain about owning who and what they are for lack of any other excuse.

Or is it something else?
    Last edited by Doctor Amadeus; 2016-01-18 at 07:13 AM.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    So the question is people that bitch and complain about being called a racist, do they bitch and complain about owning who and what they are for lack of any other excuse.
    Let me guess: the accusations of rape against Cosby are just because he's black and they're racists, right?

Dismissing everyone who expresses doubt/concern/anger/etc over what's going on with the refugees as racists is no different than throwing all the refugees into the "dirty Muslim terrorist rapist" camp and writing them off. Get some damned self-awareness.

Is the OP really using a supposed serial rapist as a message bearer of civil rights?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    Let me guess: the accusations of rape against Cosby are just because he's black and they're racists, right?

Dismissing everyone who expresses doubt/concern/anger/etc over what's going on with the refugees as racists is no different than throwing all the refugees into the "dirty Muslim terrorist rapist" camp and writing them off. Get some damned self-awareness.

Either you didn't get it or you don't want to get it, either way, sounds like a personal problem, if in your defensiveness you already KNOW what the fucking problem is, but just decide to be dismissive about it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by The Flowering Sunset View Post
    Is the OP really using a supposed serial rapist as a message bearer of civil rights?
    Nope, actually the video doesn't have anything to do with rape, and to my knowledge Cosby hasn't been convicted of anything, even though I personally think he is guilty. Thanks for illustrating the ignorance double standard, I was asking about.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

despite what a shit person he's been in other aspects of his life, he's said some very smart things in other subjects.

people like to do this, they like to ignore all good ideas that people had just because of the bad ideas. you gotta take from them the good aspects and push against the bad aspects, not black and white it.

The title is an oxymoron implying as something changes, that exact same thing also doesn't change.

It is however true that some thing do change and other things (that may be similar) also do not change. Time being a facet of change is more so an illusion based in probability and chance.

Also, 40 years isn't even a generation removed yet. People who were alive 40 years ago with some opinion are still alive today - and since hoomans are rather stagnant and stubborn, more than likely have the same opinion now.

Hatred is also contagious, and I'm keeping this short so I'll quote a famous person who understands what needs to be done "Hate begets hate; Violence begets violence; toughness begets greater toughness. We must meet the forces of hate with the power of love." However how often do you see this happen? Someone is mean/cruel, you get put into a bad mood and are mean cruel to them or to someone else which creates this chain of hatred. Until people break the chain, don't expect a massive change in people.

Truthfully, if you went back several hundred years - the only big difference than now you'll see is the belief on slavery. Look towards actual history for proof, not the bias junk most public schools and even some college courses try and spout as fact.
    Last edited by boomkinhero; 2016-01-21 at 09:37 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Him being a criminal rapist doesn't discount or destroy the legitimacy of everything else he has said.

Whatever is being said, it's the content of it that matters. It's not more or less true depending on who says it.

That said, you can't just assert that all criticism of any group, idea or action is based on prejudice.

7+ Year Old Account

I think it's interesting nearly 40 years later some of the same arguments are used to disparage Refugees, or Musims, or blacks, never mind anything else that might got on in the world or the context of anything else.

Or is it something else?
    I have no issue saying I'm against Islam just like I'm against Christianity.

Christians find it acceptable to bomb the Middle East, killing many innocents in the process.

Muslims find it acceptable to bomb Western nations, killing many innocents in the process.

Religion is a problem.

Or is it something else?
    You must be Jaylock's other other account, seriously. Trolling way too hard here with your completely circular logic which allows for literally only one conclusion: yours.

The only relationship between racism and anti immigrant/refugee/muslim viewpoints is when individual people are racist themselves. Anti immigrant/refugee/muslim is not inherently racist in any sense of the word.
    The Fresh Prince of Baudelaire

Banned at least 10 times. Don't give a fuck, going to keep saying what I want how I want to.

Eat meat. Drink water. Do cardio and burpees. The good life.

Quote Originally Posted by Ahovv View Post
    I have no issue saying I'm against Islam just like I'm against Christianity.

Christians find it acceptable to bomb the Middle East, killing many innocents in the process.

Muslims find it acceptable to bomb Western nations, killing many innocents in the process.

Religion is a problem.
    I try to focus on the source of the problem, rather than the symptom. Generalizations like that get us nowhere. I'd much rather hate the ideas that are rotten to the core than the people who often don't even follow them even if they take up the same label as the people who do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Deleted
    Ah yes, Bil Cosby.

The man that made his own rules in life....

Buckley questioning huey newton, black panthers founder.

Or is it something else?
    To be fair, I don't know anyone who makes those kind of arguments, those that do though are clearly bigoted and should be ignored.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    People consider Nelson Mandela to be a message bearer of civil rights and he started out as a murdering terrorist, it's the message that's important not the man.

Quote Originally Posted by Revi View Post
    That said, you can't just assert that all criticism of any group, idea or action is based on prejudice.
    Its an amazing weapon to dismiss any real criticism however.
    All those people talking? they're just racists ignore what they are saying, oh and every argument they ever had is now also racist so no one can use it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    People consider Nelson Mandela to be a message bearer of civil rights and he started out as a murdering terrorist, it's the message that's important not the man.
    The message is meaningless if the man doesn't believe in it.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    I try to focus on the source of the problem, rather than the symptom. Generalizations like that get us nowhere. I'd much rather hate the ideas that are rotten to the core than the people who often don't even follow them even if they take up the same label as the people who do.
    It's pretty well-documented through various polls that my statements are correct. While true that not every self-proclaimed religious person fits the bill, the peaceful majority (and often minority) are historically irrelevant.

The peaceful majority of Germans and Japanese were irrelevant during WWII. So, I find it a bit bizarre that there is this expectation for someone to preface every potentially offensive statement with "well, I understand that in many cases you guys are peaceful! you are great people! I am only referring to the radicals."

I mean, if you want a pretty good example, 30% of Republicans in this poll wanted to bomb an imaginary country just because it sounds Islamic

Most polls worldwide show similar statistics from Muslims who support terrorist organizations, with some nations polling extreme majorities.

So, whatever "source of the problem" you think there is, it's so widespread at this point that it's too difficult to separate from the religion. When an overwhelming number of people who identify as Muslim support these terrorist organizations, the religion is now a problem. Likewise, in the United States a huge number of Christians are ok with just carpet bombing random Muslim countries.

Another example would be modern feminism. It's been overtaken and popularized in recent years by extremists who do not believe in equality, but rather removal of supposed privilege from the male gender, along with countless limitations of free speech and other ridiculous notions. The hosts and audience on "The Talk" thought it was hilarious that a woman cut her husband's penis off. So sure, there may be some people who identify as a feminist and don't hold these absurd beliefs, but that doesn't mean I should suddenly give the term "feminist" more credit.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    nelson mandela can go fuck himself with a big fucking stick.

Humans are lazy creatures; a body at rest tends to stay at rest.
    Ignorance is something all humans possess in infinite quantities.
    Couple those two together in a nice sphere of thought and you may discover that: Humans will never change.
    Truths are shown to us via colander, not calendar.

Quote Originally Posted by Ahovv View Post
    So, whatever "source of the problem" you think there is, it's so widespread at this point that it's too difficult to separate from the religion. When an overwhelming number of people who identify as Muslim support these terrorist organizations, the religion is now a problem. Likewise, in the United States a huge number of Christians are ok with just carpet bombing random Muslim countries.
    When you think of religion as something other than a group of people it does seem hard to combat. You make it sound like they're this giant holy entity that can't be reasoned with.

If you polled all of the Christians of a thousand years ago, you'd find that most are okay with stoning witches. Ask that today and you'd get laughed at.

The source of the problem is dumb people. We can fix that, but it takes time.

Another example would be modern feminism. It's been overtaken and popularized in recent years by extremists who do not believe in equality, but rather removal of supposed privilege from the male gender, along with countless limitations of free speech and other ridiculous notions. The hosts and audience on "The Talk" thought it was hilarious that a woman cut her husband's penis off. So sure, there may be some people who identify as a feminist and don't hold these absurd beliefs, but that doesn't mean I should suddenly give the term "feminist" more credit.
    No it hasn't. It's been like that for a very long time. The earliest feminists are just as terrible as the modern. Go back into reading some of their quotes. You'll find they're just as sexist and racist as they are today. These extremists aren't a new phenomenon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    liberalism is a right wing idealogy.