Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    Advancement of what? Some people just don't like hopping from one casual relationship to another like switching socks.
    Yeah. If anything the 'dating app' culture is a step back rather than an advancement. Unsafe sex often results in STD's which in turn leads to more strain on health services and a lot of unfortunate baggage not only for those who engaged in sex but their loved ones as well. I'd be ashamed of myself if I ended up catching an STD due to reckless behaviour.

If precautions are taken, on the other hand, then it's a different story. Yet judging by the typical profile on such sites I'm willing to bet that they often aren't.

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    You say that like casual relationships are new... Online dating isn't just casual dating
    The statistics you linked show casual dating is a far bigger trend online than in the "real world".

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Graeham View Post
    Yeah. If anything the 'dating app' culture is a step back rather than an advancement. Unsafe sex often results in STD's which in turn leads to more strain on health services and a lot of unfortunate baggage not only for those who engaged in sex but their loved ones as well. I'd be ashamed of myself if I ended up catching an STD due to reckless behaviour.

If precautions are taken, on the other hand, then it's a different story. Yet judging by the typical profile on such sites I'm willing to bet that they often aren't.
    Online dating is for people wanting just sex and just relationships. Same applies to bars, a majority go to bars for sex.

- - - Updated - - -

The statistics you linked show casual dating is a far bigger trend online than in the "real world".
    What do you consider casual dating?

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    Kek. Those people are in the minority.
    I'm sure you're right. I think Tindr is niche in that its for hookups. But people DO date on that app as well.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't see the correlation between online dating and unsafe sex.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    I'm sure you're right. I think Tindr is niche in that its for hookups. But people DO date on that app as well.
    Interesting...so that dating service is so filled with guys looking to bang that it would make a man interested in an actual relationship look all the much better...me likey. Might check out that website first.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Selastan View Post
    Interesting...so that dating service is so filled with guys looking to bang that it would make a man interested in an actual relationship look all the much better...me likey. Might check out that website first.
    Tindr never really was for serious dating tbf

Well if you're looking for something serious and think you're a swell guy and you're good at writing resumes... I would suggest OkCupid. Tindr is really simple and you don;t get to display a lot of information.

As if the men looking hookups aren't pretending to be on the lookout for serious relationships :P

I don't see the correlation between online dating and unsafe sex.
    When I signed up to various dating sites as a guy primarily interested in other guys the vast majority of messages I received were requests for pics of my tackle, shameless requests to indulge in fetishes, shameless requests to hook up with them for a cheap fling...

I got a decent amount of attention but all of it surrounded treating me like a piece of meat. Not one person messaged me about my interests even when I primarily listed myself as wanting to take it slow, explore each other's hobbies and then see what happens afterwards.

One's mileage may vary of course but that was my experience across various dating sites both niche and mainstream. I'm not saying it's impossible but it does seem like the people who meet someone 'normal' who goes through the dating process is fairly slim. It doesn't matter much now that I'm in a relationship though.

Deleted
    Well if you're looking for something serious and think you're a swell guy and you're good at writing resumes... I would suggest OkCupid. Tindr is really simple and you don;t get to display a lot of information.
    I think too many mistake Tindr & Grindr as serious dating apps and thus assume all are like that

Deleted
    When I signed up to various dating sites as a guy primarily interested in other guys the vast majority of messages I received were requests for pics of my tackle, shameless requests to indulge in fetishes, shameless requests to hook up with them for a cheap fling...

I got a decent amount of attention but all of it surrounded treating me like a piece of meat. Not one person messaged me about my interests even when I primarily listed myself as wanting to take it slow, explore each other's hobbies and then see what happens afterwards.

One's mileage may vary of course but that was my experience across various dating sites both niche and mainstream. I'm not saying it's impossible but it does seem like the people who meet someone 'normal' who goes through the dating process is fairly slim. It doesn't matter much now that I'm in a relationship though.
    That's just gay dating though not just online. You would receive same in bars

But what does that equate to unsafe sex? Those perverts can use condoms, and be STD free.

Deleted
    But what does that equate to unsafe sex? Those perverts can use condoms, and be STD free.
    Exactly - but I cba arguing now as gaming calls

That makes sense, there is lack of "humanity" in a way, two horny people decide to use another more as a masturbatory aid than anything, its easier to do so behind a screen with access to a lot more people than a physical location.
    I think there could be yet another classification, don't quite think "casual" encompasses this specific thing anymore, as its an even more reductionist sexual encounter than the normal casual encounter?

I met a feminist on OKCupid once and was accused of negging after asking what kind of literature she was into, scariest moment of my life

I don't use any dating sites (though I probably should), I can see the appeal but ultimately I think the lack of numbers hurts niche sites even more. If it is too niche there might not even be any women on it in certain areas..

Quote Originally Posted by Vaneesh View Post
    I met a feminist on OKCupid once and was accused of negging after asking what kind of literature she was into, scariest moment of my life
    Lol wtf?!!?1/1!!?!?!?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by Kurioxan View Post
    That makes sense, there is lack of "humanity" in a way, two horny people decide to use another more as a masturbatory aid than anything, its easier to do so behind a screen with access to a lot more people than a physical location.
    I think there could be yet another classification, don't quite think "casual" encompasses this specific thing anymore, as its an even more reductionist sexual encounter than the normal casual encounter?
    It isn't just the horny people though. A carefree enviroment like that also feeds on some peoples' somewhat unrealistic expectations of finding THE perfect match. It's too easy to go through different candidates and never try to work on a serious relationship.

It isn't just the horny people though. A carefree enviroment like that also feeds on some peoples' somewhat unrealistic expectations of finding THE perfect match. It's too easy to go through different candidates and never try to work on a serious relationship.
    True albeit was talking specifically about tindr and akins, a dating site could have benefits I imagine, oddly enough in cities you have far less social interaction than in rural areas, even though population density is completely different, one would think the inverse was true.
    Guess this is why they are more used in cities, where people are disconnected and try to connect by other means?

Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    I think all online dating sites are a joke and a scam, I have personally never needed one, but from those I have talked to that used varies sites it would seem every single one did better on their own, male or female it didn't matter.
    How do they scam? Most people don't need one either, its just you have a better chance to find what you want when you have more choices.