Returning from Cata/MOP. What should I know before I get going?

Hello guys,

I've picked up the game again now after leveling to 90 at the start of MoP and quitting before Heart of Fear came out.

I was a raider but missing out on essentially two whole expansions is a weird experience so I hope you guys don't mind if I ask some questions before I buy Warlords tomorrow.

What MOP content should a warlock do before leaving for Draenor?

What addon loading program should I use? I'd rather not go back to Curse.

What spec is best? Based on the logs I have seen destro is but that's with Heroic and Mythic HFC gear which I am far from.

And most importantly of all: are there any remaining or new warlock communities one can use now? All the ones I frequented are completely gone.

Any help that can be given would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for reading. Obviously I tried to do my own research however it's all focused on the new expansion and I was hoping for some targeted info.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by dholland662 View Post
    Hello guys,

I've picked up the game again now after leveling to 90 at the start of MoP and quitting before Heart of Fear came out.

I was a raider but missing out on essentially two whole expansions is a weird experience so I hope you guys don't mind if I ask some questions before I buy Warlords tomorrow.

What spec is best? Based on the logs I have seen destro is but that's with Heroic and Mythic HFC gear which I am far from.

And most importantly of all: are there any remaining or new warlock communities one can use now? All the ones I frequented are completely gone.

Any help that can be given would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for reading. Obviously I tried to do my own research however it's all focused on the new expansion and I was hoping for some targeted info.
    No need to do any MoP content?

Generally Destro is the go to all-purpose spec, although Affliction will pull ahead single target raiding. You will want to switch between both. Demonology is never in any situation the preferred spec.

I have always just used Curse.

If you are coming from MoP one thing I will say is prepared to be somewhat disappointed with what they have done to locks.
    I am hopeful that legion will resolve our issues, but for now, both specs are far less interesting, affliction has 0 AOE, snapshotting is gone, rain of fire is not worth casting, Destro is not very fun because of the required 100 talent Charred Remains etc.

On the bright side, I still thoroughly enjoy playing my lock and am extremely looking forward to see what they do with Demo in legion.

Make sure you do green fire warlock chain quest for warlock as well...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by dholland662 View Post
    Hello guys,

Spec -> whichever you prefer at this point. Destro is the most versatile (since most fights have steep add killing requirements), but you won't be pushing Mythic progression anytime soon, so you can afford to play what you like most

MoP content -> do green fire, yeah - it's fun, has some new lore, it used to be an interseting challenge, too

addon loading -> tbh I don't use anything, so won't help you here

community -> MMO-C lock forum

bonus: gearing your character at lvl 100 -> don't bother with LFR, apexis grind etc. honor gear lvl 100 has the exact same stat budget as pve gear of the same level, so I'd say farm up full pvp gear in Ashran to skip the awkward part of gearing, then it's mythic dungeon and norm/heroic HFC time ;]

Thank you all

I can't confirm this, but Wowhead is saying you can still get the title/feat of strength from the green fire questline if you do it at level 90. So hopefully if you didn't level at all yet, you could still give that a shot beforehand if you want, just as a heads up. There's a lot of people claiming they got it in 6.0.2 at least, so might be worth trying.

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't bother wasting your time on MoP or Green Fire quest, just beeline straight to 100.

You can take care of that stuff later.

As for spec, in PvE without a doubt Destruction is must, it is a Swiss Army Knife spec of Warlocks good for everything, while Affliction is "better" only at a couple of encounters that do not really matter and Demo is pointless really.

You may want to look into Elvui. Its very well maintained, very customizable, has most addons you'd ever want.. and comes with its own updater if you do not wish to use Curse client.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    I can't confirm this, but Wowhead is saying you can still get the title/feat of strength from the green fire questline if you do it at level 90. So hopefully if you didn't level at all yet, you could still give that a shot beforehand if you want, just as a heads up. There's a lot of people claiming they got it in 6.0.2 at least, so might be worth trying.
    If you DID at level 90.

This was a Patch content, it's not a game content. It's kinda the same thing applied to Warlord Deathwheel mount. I would consider the FoS + Title as an event created by the devs rather than a content.

You would have needed to stay on MoP when this event occured and then login right after WoD hit, because after the launch a certain period it was launched a patch that ended this event.
    Last edited by Kyoda; 2016-01-23 at 10:55 AM.

Just get to 100 asap, jump on the ilvl treadmill the earliest lockout possible and then go back to do stuff like the green fire quest. Honor gear is pretty high ilvl now so that is a decent starting point you can grind out as fast as you want.

I, as well, took a long break. I quit within the first few months of MoP, and started up again about a week before HFC came out.

-Don't waste your time with MoP stuff. You can one man Vaults, do Throne with mythic gear, and if you don't get into a good guild, you can 2-5 man most everything if you want to. (Not sure when it happened: Blizzard gave a huge buff to players inside old raids. For example, I 2 shot Hagara with 2 Chaos Bolts.)

-Green fire eventually Focus on other things first, and get to this when you have a minute. It's really pretty amazing. I wish I could have done it during current.

-Curse is my go to.

-Affliction is really strong in raids for single target. It's really strong in mythic HFC on farm for 90% of the bosses. For progression, Affliction and Destruction are both key. Destruction is used in dungeons as well. Play both, focus on destruction first, as you'll be using that more. Plus, not sure how much you did play in Mop: I played only a bit in the beginning, and I played affliction then, so when I came back, I had to learn what burner embers were and how they worked.

-I'd love to hear someone elses answer on other warlock communities around. I just hang out here once in a while.
    Persistencee - Revive - Stormreaver (US)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    I did my green fire back in mop and gms still won't credit me the feat/title lmao so i wish best of luck to the OP.

Made by dubbelbasse

The Lightbringer
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by perspective View Post
    I, as well, took a long break. I quit within the first few months of MoP, and started up again about a week before HFC came out.

-Don't waste your time with MoP stuff. You can one man Vaults, do Throne with mythic gear, and if you don't get into a good guild, you can 2-5 man most everything if you want to. (Not sure when it happened: Blizzard gave a huge buff to players inside old raids. For example, I 2 shot Hagara with 2 Chaos Bolts.)

-Green fire eventually Focus on other things first, and get to this when you have a minute. It's really pretty amazing. I wish I could have done it during current.

-Curse is my go to.

-Affliction is really strong in raids for single target. It's really strong in mythic HFC on farm for 90% of the bosses. For progression, Affliction and Destruction are both key. Destruction is used in dungeons as well. Play both, focus on destruction first, as you'll be using that more. Plus, not sure how much you did play in Mop: I played only a bit in the beginning, and I played affliction then, so when I came back, I had to learn what burner embers were and how they worked.

-I'd love to hear someone elses answer on other warlock communities around. I just hang out here once in a while.
    Blizzard buffed dmg done in old raids when the squish happened. This buff affects all old raids till DS. It does not affect MoP Raids, only your higher level and gear ilvl helps you there.

Deleted
    Only thing you need to know is that the game has risen at new levels of crap.

Quote Originally Posted by fenderiaris View Post
    Only thing you need to know is that the game has risen at new levels of crap.
    And the community too

Quote Originally Posted by Fabinas View Post
    Blizzard buffed dmg done in old raids when the squish happened. This buff affects all old raids till DS. It does not affect MoP Raids, only your higher level and gear ilvl helps you there.
    Ah, makes sense. Thanks for that information!
    Persistencee - Revive - Stormreaver (US)