Deleted

Motherboard Died - Need Advise

Hey guys, after about 6 or 7 years my old motherboard finally posted its last beep. A sad time.

Unfortunately this puts me in a pretty tight spot. I dont really have much money at the moment and my CPU is of such an old chipset that I cant simply buy a new mobo, I have to purchase both.

I play quite a few video games and I also do 3D modeling and animation as well as video rendering and recording so any cpu/mobo needs to be able to cope with that.

Does anyone have any advise where to look and how to go about it? I'm looking for the best I can get for as cheap as I can, something I know a lot of people want. The issue is I just dont have a working PC at all atm so need something ASAP.

Thanks guys, feel free to ask away.

Quote Originally Posted by Cark View Post
    Hey guys, after about 6 or 7 years my old motherboard finally posted its last beep. A sad time.

Unfortunately this puts me in a pretty tight spot. I dont really have much money at the moment and my CPU is of such an old chipset that I cant simply buy a new mobo, I have to purchase both.

I play quite a few video games and I also do 3D modeling and animation as well as video rendering and recording so any cpu/mobo needs to be able to cope with that.

Does anyone have any advise where to look and how to go about it? I'm looking for the best I can get for as cheap as I can, something I know a lot of people want. The issue is I just dont have a working PC at all atm so need something ASAP.

For the Modeling and Animation work, I would recommend a 5820K and X99 Motherboard. It will be around the same price as a 6700K if you are in the US but for your work it's likely worth it.

If you really want to spend less, you could look at Haswell i7 and Z97 Motherboard, just know that it's a dead platform and will not be able to upgrade in the future without a new motherboard again.

Quote Originally Posted by Cark View Post

Whats your budget and what are you coming from? (What is the old machine? - CPU/RAM, etc).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    Whats your budget and what are you coming from? (What is the old machine? - CPU/RAM, etc).
    My CPU is an old socket i3 that unfortunately they dont even make mobo's for anymore. I'm willing to spend up to about £200-£250 but as much $ for performance as I can. I have 8gb of HyperX Blue DDR3 RAM and an MSI Geforce GTX 960 4096

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    For the Modeling and Animation work, I would recommend a 5820K and X99 Motherboard.
    This is literally the exact configuration that I was going to suggest...Get out of my head! It's easy to OC and you can push it over 4ghz on a stock cooler as long as you have a case with good airflow.
    Last edited by Barnesworth; 2016-01-21 at 02:05 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Barnesworth View Post
    This is literally the exact configuration that I was going to suggest...Get out of my head! It's easy to OC and you can push it over 4ghz on a stock cooler as long as you have a case with good airflow.
    Unfortunately in my current economical state the price of a 5820k really blows the top off of my budget :/

Deleted
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor (£155.00 @ Amazon UK)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B150M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (£65.76 @ Aria PC)
    Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory (£34.72 @ Amazon UK)
    Total: £255.48
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-21 15:56 GMT+0000