Socrethar HFC Advice (Moonkin)

Hey Guys!

So i'm just after some advice regarding handling the Socrethar fight in HFC.

I have completed the fight a few times now, however despite definite improvement i'm finding that my DPS on this fight is lacking relative to my ilvl and in relation to other encounters in HFC such as Zakuun in which i do considerably better.

I was wondering if any of the more experienced Moonkin's here maybe able to have a look at my logs for the fight and offer some advice as to improvement since i'm unsure exactly what i'm doing wrong.

From what i can tell i appear to be following my rotation and i am getting casts off with no unusually long gaps between casts.

To provide some extra context (If it helps at all) i'm rolling with the H DSI/H SOC trinkets for the fight and being a ranged i'm primarily focusing on the ghosts.

Being new on this forum i don't believe i have the ability to link specific logs but feel free to look up my toon Renzoku on Warcraft Logs (Server is Frostmourne) to check out my recent logs for the Heroic Socrethar fight.

Thanks in advance and i would love some feedback!

Deleted
    the logs https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...pe=damage-done

Comparing to my latest one which immensly different since i have much more gear than you and this is mythic, but i will only look at what I did and what you did differently, i wont look at the numbers. https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...pe=damage-done

You have terrible uptime on moonfire/sunfire, your legendary ring did almost no damage, meaning you most likely didnt attack the dominator right when it came up and you continued casting on an Immune Socrethar, Stand closer to the ghost portal but stand within the line so you can pad with Starfall and dont be afraid to put a sunfire, it only helps your DPS.
    Last edited by mmoce6b0631126; 2016-01-21 at 03:31 PM.

Shoot the dominator, shoot the boss, pad starfall on the adds and sunfire as above poster said.
    Your moonfire/sunfire uptime should be at a minimum, 85%. you lose a lot of damage here
    Your active time is 95%, so 5% of the fight you are doing nothing - https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...sts&source=221
    You shouldnt need to focus ghosts - pad aoe along with vortex/typhoon and they should easily be dead. your lock can stun them as well, etc
    Make sure you maintain dots on socrethar. On the dominator, depending on how fast he dies it may not be worth dotting him. Possibly a sunfire to get a refresh on socrethar
    If the caster adds live long enough sneak some dots on them
    Make sure you are not tunneling socrethar while dominator is out - hes immune.

Try not to move. you should be able to find a position between blue portal and socrethar and stand there.
    Last edited by wing5wong; 2016-01-21 at 08:17 PM.

Tips:
    • Don’t “try/strive” to keep dots up 100%, keep dots up 100% or don’t play a dot class.
    -Your DoT uptime is atrocious on this fight. 95% should be the lowest uptime on your DoTs.
    • Never be capped at 3 charges of Starsurge (SS), if you get a shooting stars proc at 3, you just wasted a cast of SS.
    -You probably are losing out on some SS casts. Should always be trying to sit with 1 stack and another coming off CD. Try not to sit on 2 as you'll lose the recharge time if you get a Shooting Stars Proc, and NEVER sit on 3.
    • Get the most out of the ring/your trinket procs: If there is 2 seconds left on ring/trinket and you know you can’t get another SF off before they expire, I almost always throw an extra SS (or two depending on my stacks) out for the extra buff – even if it will refresh an already 2 or 3 stack of empowered.
    • If you are only at 1 charge of SS and in solar eclipse, save it for lunar eclipse, even if it means you will be casting wraths without empowered (I would rather be casting un-empowered wraths than un-empowered SF’s). For fights with consistent aoe to adds, adjust this to be, throw out SS anytime Starfall is about to fall off.

Opener:
    Incarn @ 2.5 seconds
    Pre-Pot+Starsurge @ 1.5 Seconds
    CA+Moonfire on pull
    SFx2 > SS > SFx2 > SS. If Shooting Stars Procs, you can likely finish/get another SF cast off before using SS (so you don't waste an empowered stack).

Assuming ring will also be popped at this time, should increase your ring damage which was so bad.

I would also guess you're attacking Socrethar when the Dominator is alive, aka when he is immune to all damage. You need to switch to Dominator's immediately.

DoT'ing the Shadowcallers is another good way to increase padding DPS.

Ghosts should be fine to only passively cleave with Starfall from SoC procs off Starsurge, if many are stacked with high health, throwing a Sunfire to hit all of them isn't a bad padding idea.

Make sure you 2nd pot.