Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Are hunters still silly? (from a Classic - WOTLK hunter)

I quit playing forever ago, it was around WOTLK, very early Cata.

I played from Classic. Back when the Hunter class appealed to me because you got a companion of your choice, and the class felt like a hunter. Tamed your pet yourself, probably a adventure on its own to find your pet if they were rare (24-48 hour re-spawn hell). Leveled him from that level you tamed him, and did all the things required to make him your buddy, along with earning his companionship (mostly via food). All of this did a lot to make a pet feel like a buddy that went on adventures with you. You earned that little bastard.

During late BC, WOTLK era, Blizzard changed that. Update after update, Blizzard and the community itself ruined what Hunters were. Pets slowly became just another tool for "DPS" more then they were, the Hunters companion. By the end of WOTLK, into Cata, pets were little more then a tool. Didn't even need to feed them anymore, Blizzard optimized them so much. The community had its "flavor of the month pets" that had a extra insufficient DPS, and the pet you had from classic more then likely wasn't it.

So after a while, the Hunter class felt really... empty. Pet was just another tool, the class itself felt foreign from what it once was. After a few months of Cata being the expansion it was, I kinda just fell out of the game overall. The Pet system was my personal favorite system and made me love hunters over all the other classes, and I was sad to see it go the way it did. I could only take so much of Cata before I just canceled my Subscription.

So given the game has passed a few years since Cata, what has happened to the Hunter class? Has it gone to roots and made the class/pets feel like a companion again? Or has the game been optimized so much that pets are just that thing that you have to tug along with you?
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2016-01-22 at 03:08 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hunters are not like you remember. We dont' even use pets if we're raiders. There's been a lot of change since you played. Not a lot of it was for the good.

If you left because you didn't like the transition from mana to focus, we still use focus.
    Last edited by SL1200; 2016-01-22 at 05:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SL1200 View Post
    Hunters are not like you remember. We dont' even use pets if we're raiders. There's been a lot of change since you played. Not a lot of it was for the good.

If you left because you didn't like the transition from mana to focus, we still use focus.
    One of the few things I agreed on during the changes was Focus. It made a lot more sense then Mana. One of the few changes that made sense, kept a hunter moving instead of staved for "mana".

But yeah. If pets are out of Raids, then I am out of WoW. I cant play a MMO that doesnt have a good companion system. I played Star Wars Galaxies FFS.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daginni View Post
    One of the few things I agreed on during the changes was Focus. It made a lot more sense then Mana. One of the few changes that made sense, kept a hunter moving instead of staved for "mana".

But yeah. If pets are out of Raids, then I am out of WoW. I cant play a MMO that doesnt have a good companion system. I played Star Wars Galaxies FFS.
    Pets aren't out of raids , one spec is petless while the other 2 the pet is very much important (bm and survival). Next expansion bm gets 2 permanent pets. I think things are about to get interesting in terms of your companions if you like to play beast mastery or survival . Survival will be melee dps with your pet playing a key role with the spec as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Don't misinform people, not everyone plays lone wolf marksman Especially someone who is just potentially just getting back into the game , and even then you don't have to not use a pet.

Quote Originally Posted by Daginni View Post

Well from what I understand, beast mastery in Legion will be even more dependant on pets than they are now (correct me if I'm wrong).

Altho there is nothing in wow that will bring back memories of bringing a rancor to a gun fight

Quote Originally Posted by Kissthebaby View Post
    Pets aren't out of raids , one spec is petless while the other 2 the pet is very much important (bm and survival). Next expansion bm gets 2 permanent pets. I think things are about to get interesting in terms of your companions if you like to play beast mastery or survival . Survival will be melee dps with your pet playing a key role with the spec as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Don't misinform people, not everyone plays lone wolf marksman Especially someone who is just potentially just getting back into the game , and even then you don't have to not use a pet.
    If you are playing anything except Lone Wolf Marksman in Raids you are doing it very suboptimally.

If you are playing anything other than survival in instanced PvP, prepare for lots of headaches

If you are playing anything other than BM with a marksman offspec for challenge modes, prepare to never get close to a realm best time.

Yeah, you can stay away.

Hunter, contrary to popular belief, used to be a high skill cap class, you had a response to everything, unfortunately, they removed all of the depth.

Aspects are gone (only cheetah / pack left, with glyph you don't even get dazed)
    You can put traps wherever you want (however much sense that makes...)
    Dead zone was removed, so melee abilities were too. Dead zone and melee were key part of hunter play mechanics.
    You choose pet based on what your group needs or better yet, you don't use a pet at all.
    Pet talent trees are gone (can still choose spec, though it pretty much doesn't matter)
    Carrying ammo around was annoying as fk, but it did so much justice to hunter class fantasy. Also removed.

I could go on, but if you seek depth, you won't find it in wow today, much less hunters.

Oooh yeah, Hunters a pretty dead class from what it was forever ago it sounds like, along with the game. I am going to follow Azortharions prick ass advice and stay away from his no skill required game and hope future MMO's don't try to be "WoW killers" because WoW is doing that pretty well itself.

http://i.imgur.com/Mjq0O0d.png

Yeah, like I said, stay away.

Think you social rejects belong in the MLP threads anyway.

Infracted
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2016-01-22 at 03:56 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Azortharion View Post

lol /10char

Real question is, did you gargle that dick?

Infracted
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2016-01-22 at 03:56 PM.

10+ Year Old Account

Busted!!! LOL

TL;DR, Yes from your perspective hunters are probably 1000x more silly then when you left.

Real question is, did you gargle that dick?

You make post that says "10/10, you mad yo!".
    Edit it to say "Did you gargle that dick?".
    Delete it.
    Make the edit in a new post.

For someone posting in MLP threads all day, you're pretty shit at "forum-fu".

Hunters are not like you remember. We dont' even use pets if we're raiders.
    I think the only time I've seen a non-LW-MM was when we didn't have a blood lust... but that was more coincidental, since we were just a bunch of PVPers fucking around in Hellfire and just happened to have my LW-MM and another hunter who was BM for the lulz.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

Delete it.

Well did ja though? Because you should.

Your time would be better spent doing that then stalking some brony on the forum yo! XD

Delete it.

Very much so. Companion system lol.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ItachiZaku View Post
    I think the only time I've seen a non-LW-MM was when we didn't have a blood lust... but that was more coincidental, since we were just a bunch of PVPers fucking around in Hellfire and just happened to have my LW-MM and another hunter who was BM for the lulz.
    Bm has some uses in hellfire. "some"

Deleted
    If it's so important for you to take care of your pet i can only reccommend you get yourself a Tamagotchi!

And i'm going to have to side with Azor here, just stay away!