10+ Year Old Account

My ATI 6990's finally died

Im in my last semester of College and 2 months ago I lost the first card. Last night I lost the second card. It has been a long time since I was seriously looking into hardware for my own needs.

Any recommendations for a new card that will last me a few months till I get out of school? I have at most $250 to spend, and my current rig is almost 6 years old so I am not looking to put a ton into it anyways.

I saw some R9 280's for around 200 with 2gb of Vram. Do I really need 4gb (its $60-70 more) to play Wow and D3? (Pretty much all I use the pc for atm)

Thanks for any advice.

10+ Year Old Account
    Get a GTX 960 or a Radeon R9 380. The 380 is a 4GB card and fits your price range nicely. You don't really need 4GB but it's nice to have. Both the 970 and 390 came down in price, by a lot. Right now a R9 390 is $269 on NewEgg with $20 rebate. If you can deal with the rebate system, which I hate.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    Get a GTX 960 or a Radeon R9 380. The 380 is a 4GB card and fits your price range nicely. You don't really need 4GB but it's nice to have. Both the 970 and 390 came down in price, by a lot. Right now a R9 390 is $269 on NewEgg with $20 rebate. If you can deal with the rebate system, which I hate.
    Is it worth getting the R9 390 over this one(380x)? Benchmarks are showing the 380x out performing the 960

http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?it...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
    Last edited by dyzz; 2016-01-23 at 04:44 AM.

For $250 the 390/380x/290 is perfect for what you need, they'll all max out most games at 1080p. The 960 is also a great choice, or if you are looking for a bit cheaper choice, the 750ti is a nice choice for the price.

It's absolutely worth getting. I myself have just got the Sapphire Nitro R9 380X after seeing it perform on my friends PC and although i too only play WoW and D3, having 4gb of RAM helps SHOULD you decide you want to play some of the newer games in the future.

10+ Year Old Account
    Woops, i meant getting the 390 ($280) over the 380x ($250)

first do you know what pci express slot u got on ur mother board?

as far as cards go I run a asus nvidia 750 ti 2gb card and it runs wow and diablo on ultra.
    but its more about cpu then gpu on wow anyways...

Quote Originally Posted by Nakotsu View Post
    first do you know what pci express slot u got on ur mother board?
    This wont matter. Nothing in his price range comes close to saturating even older PCIe standards. Hell be fine.

as far as cards go I run a asus nvidia 750 ti 2gb card and it runs wow and diablo on ultra.
    but its more about cpu then gpu on wow anyways...
    IMO, if all you're playing is WoW right now, and maybe D3...

An R9 380 is a good card for the price.

If you want to save al ittle, since you're only using this card as a "until i can get a new rig" holdover - the GTX 950 is probably the best price/performance card in the low range right now.

its not as powerful as the 380, but with a mild overclock, which they handle extremely well, it can perform like a GTX 960, and you can often find them for ~140-150, or even less with MiR.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    This wont matter. Nothing in his price range comes close to saturating even older PCIe standards. Hell be fine.

IMO, if all you're playing is WoW right now, and maybe D3...

An R9 380 is a good card for the price.

If you want to save al ittle, since you're only using this card as a "until i can get a new rig" holdover - the GTX 950 is probably the best price/performance card in the low range right now.

its not as powerful as the 380, but with a mild overclock, which they handle extremely well, it can perform like a GTX 960, and you can often find them for ~140-150, or even less with MiR.
    Thanks for all the help. Think I am gonna get the 380 and let my kids have the computer after I finish school and build another. I got my son a raspberry Pi for xmas and hes loving it and wants a real computer. Hes brought his grades up from Cs to As so this will be a good present for him when he finishes 3rd grade in June.

Thanks everyone.