Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Man Refuses To Abandon Chimp, Even Though Everyone Else Has

For more than 30 years, Ponso the chimp has been living on a deserted island off the Ivory Coast. He has no source of food or water, and his companions all died years ago.

But thanks to one man, he's alive.

For several years, a villager named Germain, despite his limited income, has stopped by to drop off food for the lonely chimp. While the diet of bread and bananas isn't enough for the roughly 40-year-old chimp to thrive, it's kept him alive — and it's clear he shows his gratitude.
    Yet Ponso's sad plight is nothing compared to his sad past. For years, he was used in painful tests by the New York Blood Center (NYBC), which conducted hepatitis research using scores of chimps, many of whom were captured from the wild.

While trapped in the labs, the chimps faced dozens of biopsies and anesthetizations apiece. One lost her eye when researchers shot her in the face with a dart; another had only one arm after he was hit with a bullet meant for his mother — poachers killed her so he could be kidnapped for the lab.

Mothers lost baby after baby; other chimps strangled themselves at the research center, where for many years they lived chained by their necks to jungle gyms.

Yet when the tests were over, NYBC decided to abandon the chimps, dumping them on a string of islands near Liberia like the one Ponso lives on. They had no source of food or fresh water, and many died soon after from disease and starvation.
    https://www.thedodo.com/ponso-chimp-...563220792.html

I honestly feel really bad for the chimpanzees that had to undergo this abuse, such an abuse on a sentient species not too distant to our own level of sapience.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm glad that what with a genocide in the middle east, we can all take time out of our day to feel bad for a lonely monkey. /sarcasm
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    I'm glad that what with a genocide in the middle east, we can all take time out of our day to feel bad for a lonely monkey. /sarcasm
    Yeah, I mean we all know theres only so much compassion to go around. If we care about this monkey, we can't care about the middle east!
    /what do

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Phookah View Post
    Yeah, I mean we all know theres only so much compassion to go around.
    Ironically, this statement is actually true. The human brain has a limited capacity to care about others.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post
    https://www.thedodo.com/ponso-chimp-...563220792.html

I honestly feel really bad for the chimpanzees that had to undergo this abuse, such an abuse on a sentient species not too distant to our own level of sapience.
    Checked for other sources and this seems to check out. It actually happened. That's pretty fucked up.

Yet we have a thread going on over an Oscar boycott that's over forty pages...

Also chimpanzees are hominids (apes), calling an ape a monkey is the equivalent to calling a brown bear a dog.

Deleted
    Ironically, this statement is actually true. The human brain has a limited capacity to care about others.
    The number of people we can form social bonds with is limited.....
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunbar%27s_number

Deleted
    Yes. Can't you? A pity you can feel bad for people but not feel anything for an abused animal left to die. But that's your shortcoming.

And it's an ape.

Our ability to care for others is not exclusive. We can care about the plight of abused and abandoned animals, and still care about what is going on in the middle east, Africa, etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Creamy Flames View Post
    Yes. Can't you? A pity you can feel bad for people but not feel anything for an abused animal left to die. But that's your shortcoming.

And it's an ape.
    No, specially I can't feel bad for an abused chimp on a deserted island a thousand miles away that has a dedicated caretaker. I'm more inclined to feel bad for abused humans a thousand miles away who have noone looking out for them and people actively trying to murder them.

So yeah, as far as how many shits I give about this monkey....somewhere around 0, maybe less.

Just, be kind.

No, specially I can't feel bad for an abused chimp on a deserted island a thousand miles away that has a dedicated caretaker. I'm more inclined to feel bad for abused humans a thousand miles away who have noone looking out for them and people actively trying to murder them.

So yeah, as far as how many shits I give about this monkey....somewhere around 0, maybe less.
    I don't understand what this has to with a monkey, but if you don't care about the chimpanzee, then why post in thr first place and why attempt to stop anyone from caring about more than one thing? It's not like humans cannot care about multiple organisms.

Why can't you do both?

The fact that you are posting in such a mean-spirited manner implies more than that you don't care; it shows that you actively want to be a douchebag when you needn't be. If you don't care, fine; don't care. Nobody else needs to know, unless you have a point to prove.

There are far more arseholes on the Earth than there are people. No surprise there.

That was such a depressing read, I can't bear any form of animal cruelty. I just donated, here's the link if anyone else feels inclined:
    https://www.gofundme.com/abandonedchimps
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    Pretty fucking horrible if you ask me.

This makes me wonder, could you teach chimpanzees some crude rudimentary form of agriculture?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ryme View Post
    That was such a depressing read, I can't bear any form of animal cruelty. I just donated, here's the link if anyone else feels inclined:
    https://www.gofundme.com/abandonedchimps
    That is just wonderful, I wish I could donate, but thank you for your donation

Deleted
    That is just wonderful, I wish I could donate, but thank you for your donation
    They give the money to humans "As a token of this gratitude, we were able to deliver bags of rice to five local villages for the holiday season. "

Looks like a fraud.

10+ Year Old Account
    Chimpanzees aren't Blue whales. They're fairly easy to transport from one location to another.

This sounds like an issue that would be easily solvable.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Davillage View Post
    They give the money to humans "As a token of this gratitude, we were able to deliver bags of rice to five local villages for the holiday season. "

Looks like a fraud.
    Likely to give them the resources to take care of them I guess...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Chimpanzees aren't Blue whales. They're fairly easy to transport from one location to another.

This sounds like an issue that would be easily solvable.
    Yeah, actually I just thought about that? Why not just relocate them to a suitable ape sanctuary in the US if you can't properly teach them how to survive in the wild?

Deleted
    Likely to give them the resources to take care of them I guess...
    Yeah sure.....
    rice typical chimp food.

I'm btw a nigerian prince and need a fast way to transfer money to tehe United States can I get your help?
    Not for free of course.