Page 1 of 2
LastLast

SimCity version# 52, would you shut it down?

The current version of SimCity is 5, say version 53 of comes out in the year 2217. Version 53 has full AI support with AI so real, you can no longer distinguish between SimCity characters and real life humans in the real world. In addition version 53 of SimCity introduce full neural interface so once you plug in, it's as if you actually are in the SimCity universe. If that's not enough, you have a whole universe of planets to work on including an unlimited number of alien races.

Problem is, you jacked into SimCity with your neural interface one night, had a few at a local pub and you revealed that you were the owner of this simulation and you actually existed in the real world while all the SimCity denizens were merely virtual AI NPCs. They laughed at you so you turned the moon neon pink for a few seconds to prove it.

Problem is, you want to install a new game on your PC which will require you to uninstall SimCity version 53 to make room, but if you do that, the SimCity universe you created will disappear, vanish, poof! And now the SimCity denizens are begging you not to delete their universe.

Do you delete it? Or do you keep it up and running? What obligation do you have to these simulated people?

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

So basically, are you ok with killing something with AI?

I think we had a thread on this a couple days ago; I wouldn't be OK with doing it but I think I could be pushed to it with a decent enough reason, this isn't it though.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

I'd fuck with them and push the disaster button a few thousand times before I pull the plug tho

10+ Year Old Account
    Talk about an existential crisis waiting to happen...

If you like this thought experiment, you should really watch the movie "The 13th Floor" you would love it.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0139809/
    Since we can't call out Trolls and Bad Faith posters and the Ignore function doesn't actually ignore it. Add
    "mmo-champion.com##li.postbitignored"
    to your ublock or adblock filter to actually ignore ignored posters. Now just need a way to ignore responses to them as well.

Keep it running. Go buy another hard drive add it to system. Install new game. *shrug* why not keep them "alive".

Deleted
    Get another Hard Drive and keep it running. Never buy the next version of Sim City as I'd be scared of creating another "universe" that could so easily be destroyed.
    Make sure everyone lives long and happy lives but somehow make them sterile. That way, at one point, they'd all die of old age and I could shelve the HD (since time goes faster in there and you said it's realistic so I could do everything).
    Last edited by mmoc994dcc48c2; 2016-01-24 at 01:36 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    I think I would manage to uninstall it, yes.

I would question why someone made an AI so complex in my fucking SimCity game, made by EA no less, and why the game runs like crap because of it..

10+ Year Old Account
    Is this one DRM like 5? Will they know what I do in SimCity?

But seriously, depends on the city/universe that develops. If it's some evil, war torn universe I'd go crazy with destroying stuff before deleting it. If it was peaceful, I'd probably shut it down and save it to a portable hard drive.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would keep it man. To these AIs I am basically god. Have fun with it. Have a zombie apocalypse, or add a kaiju to the sim every month just for laughs.

Or I can just back up the save files before uninstalling.

If I want to play a new game. I'm playing a new game.

This is one of the more interesting topics on here. What constitutes life? If something perceives existence does it exist? I'd let the program go.
    I'm the root of all that is evil, yeah, but you can call me cookie.

7+ Year Old Account
    I'm still waiting for a SimCity that doesn't suck. Let them tackle that hurdle first.

buy a new hard drive problem averted...
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

can i fuck ai?
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

10+ Year Old Account
    That's an interesting question. When does virtual entity become a person worthy of preservation? In the "She" movie an OS exhibited all qualities of a real person, and yet, one could say, it was merely a very complex computer program. Where is the boundary separating virtual AI as merely a program from a virtual AI as a sentient being? I'd say, as soon as the AI starts talking about self-preservation without us specifically indicating it to do so, it is a sentient being. So, if you are going to uninstall SimCity 52 and its population starts begging you not to do it, without the developers intending such a course of action through direct programming - then you should listen to them and not perform virtual genocide.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    The current version of SimCity is 5, say version 53 of comes out in the year 2217. Version 53 has full AI support with AI so real, you can no longer distinguish between SimCity characters and real life humans in the real world. In addition version 53 of SimCity introduce full neural interface so once you plug in, it's as if you actually are in the SimCity universe. If that's not enough, you have a whole universe of planets to work on including an unlimited number of alien races.

Problem is, you jacked into SimCity with your neural interface one night, had a few at a local pub and you revealed that you were the owner of this simulation and you actually existed in the real world while all the SimCity denizens were merely virtual AI NPCs. They laughed at you so you turned the moon neon pink for a few seconds to prove it.

Problem is, you want to install a new game on your PC which will require you to uninstall SimCity version 53 to make room, but if you do that, the SimCity universe you created will disappear, vanish, poof! And now the SimCity denizens are begging you not to delete their universe.

Do you delete it? Or do you keep it up and running? What obligation do you have to these simulated people?
    It depends, if can simulate emotions as in react and "feel" as real people I'd keep it up and running. If they weren't aware of the issue I'd might pull the plug...

I think I'd have more problems with killing off the AI world than if I had a button to kill every single living human being on this planet including me.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    can i fuck ai?
    I'll be honest, if you could be God...I doubt anyone would uninstall this game.

10+ Year Old Account
    So I wouldn't delete it, touch it or shut it down, if this is actually life, I wouldn't actually destroy life for my convenience, I would leave it as is, and do some research elsewhere and find the best scientist in the world to come look at it and help out.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis