Frost Spec to pursue while having zero tier bonuses?

Hello. I recently just started trying to raid on my mage again and could really use some advice on my talents. As for a little background, I've had him for years but my shaman is my primary raiding toon. Now that we're at a point where my healer is decently geared, I'd like to give the mage a go. He's currently decked out in crafted/Baleful type gear that gets his item level up to the high 690s. I've tried exploring some of the talent guides around but they all seemed to be designed presuming I have a tier 17 or tier 18 4pc, which I don't.
    Any quick advice on which build to go with until I get some set pieces rolling, for single target fights? (Multil/cleave fights if you're feeling generous)

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by kudaddy View Post
    Any quick advice on which build to go with until I get some set pieces rolling, for single target fights?
    presuming you don't have the archimonde trinket either?

frost bomb + prismatic crystal for single target, frost bomb + thermal void for multi-target - if you try frost bomb and decide you really really don't like the playstyle then use ice nova instead, minor difference in overall damage

single most important item for you to get is the mage class trinket from archimonde, then you get to start using unstable magic on everything

Thanks much Dizzeey, I'll do just that. I assume I should still follow the rule of using RoP when I can turret into my crystal, and IF for movement?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dizzeeyooo View Post
    presuming you don't have the archimonde trinket either?

frost bomb + prismatic crystal for single target, frost bomb + thermal void for multi-target - if you try frost bomb and decide you really really don't like the playstyle then use ice nova instead, minor difference in overall damage

single most important item for you to get is the mage class trinket from archimonde, then you get to start using unstable magic on everything
    Yeah, some of this just isn't true. Frost bomb is pretty much never the answer, unless you have T-17 bonuses (which you don't). Crystal + Ice nova for single target, Crystal + UM for multi.
    RoP is technically the best talent - if you can keep 100% uptime on it - Though the other two options are extremely close together. TV is also a decent option for AoE.

Quote Originally Posted by Phookah View Post
    Yeah, some of this just isn't true. Frost bomb is pretty much never the answer, unless you have T-17 bonuses (which you don't)
    considering frostbomb was the overall highest dps option in highmaul once they improved water jet usage in simcraft, curious why you think it wouldn't be better now if someone has no setbonuses?

Quote Originally Posted by Phookah View Post
    Crystal + UM for multi
    why would you ever take crystal for a multi-target fight as frost?
    Last edited by Dizzeeyooo; 2016-01-24 at 07:51 PM.

considering frostbomb was the overall highest dps option in highmaul once they improved water jet usage in simcraft, curious why you think it wouldn't be better now if someone has no setbonuses?
    For someone just returning, I'd recommend UM or IN, but that's just me. I'm out of the loop with highest simmed pre-tier bonuses, but Frost Bomb is a huge DPS loss if you don't manage it correctly.

why would you ever take crystal for a multi-target fight as frost?
    Agreed. Both UM and PC are the worst choices for AoE fights.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.